Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #44,116 of 145,769
So now that Ragnarok 2 is coming out, does that make my SN: K00001B Ragnarok a collectors piece? I was in the beta program for the OG Ragnarok so maybe this is the first production Raggy.

11038150_10204302481309824_2360523844860476194_o.jpg

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #44,117 of 145,769
In case you guys haven't noticed, I'm trying to spend some more time answering questions these days. I can't guarantee being here every day, but I'm trying!

An idea: For those of us that like tone controls, and are excited about "the gadget", do you have any intention of combining a Loki, gadget, and maybe the dynamic range adjuster thingy into a box the size of Bifrost and Saga? It seems like a good combination to combine these products into a super Loki so to speak. Would also cover the owners of this size product who don't want to add 2 additional boxes for the gadget and Loki.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #44,118 of 145,769
In case you guys haven't noticed, I'm trying to spend some more time answering questions these days. I can't guarantee being here every day, but I'm trying!

There's that transparency shining through again, mate :)

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #44,119 of 145,769
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #44,120 of 145,769
First boards supposedly come in tomorrow. So, with any luck, next week.

Aside: I love it when I say "February," and some people start emailing us on February 1 at 12:02 AM, asking for the product. People that know us know we mean, "February 28 at 11:59PM. Maybe." That's why they're called "estimates." AKA "guesses."

February... 2021. We know how this goes!

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #44,121 of 145,769
Windows 7 won't be dead just because Microsoft stops supporting it - some people will continue to use it anyway. Personally, I think you can decide not to support Windows 7 whenever you feel like it, and even after Microsoft ends its support, you're still going to get customers asking about Windows 7.
Or is the point to still have something for Windows 7 (the current products) until Microsoft declares it dead?

I am your nightmare. I have a working, booting Windows 95 system. Likewise Win98 and Windows 2000.

Okay, they're not my daily drivers, but I use them to support, er, legacy hardware and software.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #44,122 of 145,769
I usually remind my customers that if we say "February" we have not specified a year.

That's beautiful. In the case of Sol, perhaps we should have specified a decade.

So now that Ragnarok 2 is coming out, does that make my SN: K00001B Ragnarok a collectors piece? I was in the beta program for the OG Ragnarok so maybe this is the first production Raggy.

11038150_10204302481309824_2360523844860476194_o.jpg

Yep, that is the first production Ragnarok, probably with cables crimped by me or Lisa. As far as I'm concerned, it's a collector's item. As far as the market goes....weellllllll....

An idea: For those of us that like tone controls, and are excited about "the gadget", do you have any intention of combining a Loki, gadget, and maybe the dynamic range adjuster thingy into a box the size of Bifrost and Saga? It seems like a good combination to combine these products into a super Loki so to speak. Would also cover the owners of this size product who don't want to add 2 additional boxes for the gadget and Loki.

We've talked a lot about various digital functionality, but we have yet to decide how best to implement it. Bottom line, we talk about a lot of things, but a most of them go nowhere. I expect you'll see a gadget/expander type functionality out soon, but "soon" may mean "2020." The future is very blurry, until parts are flying at us.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #44,124 of 145,769
I am your nightmare. I have a working, booting Windows 95 system. Likewise Win98 and Windows 2000.

Okay, they're not my daily drivers, but I use them to support, er, legacy hardware and software.
Reminds me of when I still did frontend development. Admit it, you probably haunt people by using Internet Explorer 6, too!

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #44,127 of 145,769
In case you guys are wondering why we suddenly seem to have more time, it's because things are getting worked out. We're a profoundly different company than a year ago. Hell, I just got an alert today from our support team that Nvidia drivers are causing hell with many USB DACs (not just ours) and WASAPI, and they're working to find a solution. If it can be worked. It may be an Nvidia-fix-thing. Not sure yet.

But suffice to say, everything is operating at a higher level. Support is really on it now, and they are now working together to solve problems, rather than shut doors. Production and test are operating much more proactively, and helping to find fixes to glitches that have been bothering us for a long time. Engineering has largely been unloaded from the Nightmare That Is USB. When you consider that Unison USB chewed up thousands of person-hours, and involved us becoming a USB signatory and figuring out stuff that the microprocessor manufacturer said was impossible, plus overseeing a fairly large beta test, plus internal testing, and you see what we've been dealing with. I can finally get Nexus into production and complete the analog IP push I've been working on for a long time (Continuity and Nexus are the two big things, plus Coherence on the tube side.)

So, if you've had issues with us in the past, I'd say: don't try us again now. Wait for a year. Or two. And see how we do now that things are really meshing.

Last edited:

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #44,128 of 145,769
Reminds me of when I still did frontend development. Admit it, you probably haunt people by using Internet Explorer 6, too!

Sir! I have ethics! I have working versions of Netscape and Mosaic (although "working" is a stretch, when no one speaks HTTP 1.0...).

I never use exploder unless forced to!

AboutMosaic.png

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #44,129 of 145,769
After switching to more efficient speakers, my vidar is moving to an older set up... with Rag 2 coming out, how will it play with efficient speakers, and do the gain settings apply to the speaker out as well? Maybe ageir is more of what I’m looking for... what are the differences between rag 2 and ageir for speakers?

Gain settings apply globally, yes, and Ragnarok 2 is very quiet for a speaker amp. Probably 15-20dB better than Vidar. Still probably 5-10dB better than Aegir. Still testing, don't hold me to this. But it's a very quiet amp for its power output capability.

And...I have to run for today. I have some tweaking to do. Yes, engineering still continues apace.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #44,130 of 145,769
Jason I have a question.

When you say Unison USB will be in a card released sooner.

Do you mean this is a card I can plug into a computer pcie and interface with a new card in one of your DACs?

Or will this be isolated to the new CD transport coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back