Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #43,847 of 149,008
At the end of July 2018.
He was very ill in his last weeks.
His systems giving up one after the other.

In his last email to me he asked me to send his regards to all until he got back.

Oh.. and his real name was Scott too.

I'm sorry to hear this and was surprised at just how long it's been.

His unique character brought a lot to this community.

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #43,848 of 149,008
At the end of July 2018.
He was very ill in his last weeks.
His systems giving up one after the other.

In his last email to me he asked me to send his regards to all until he got back.

Oh.. and his real name was Scott too.

That is sad news. I will miss his wit and his everlasting love of VU meters.

JC

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #43,849 of 149,008
I have not seen this posted anywhere here.

And he has a matching black pair! I actually like my silver Yggy better.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/blo...k-yggdrasil-one-most-revered-pairings-head-fi

I have a matching black pair too, not really feeling the need to upgrade the Rag.

20180305_162001.jpg

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #43,850 of 149,008
@Jason Stoddard, now that you folks have been playing around with the Pi, is there any thought about creating a HAT, similar to the IQAudio Pi-DAC or the Allo Digi-One so that we could build our own streamers? Something that cleans up the USB audio from the Pi and provides S/PDIF and/or BNC so that we could connect it to an external DAC?
USB output on RPi is unfixable. However the GPIO pins could be used for the BWD output Mike mentioned on his blog.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #43,851 of 149,008
USB output on RPi is unfixable. However the GPIO pins could be used for the BWD output Mike mentioned on his blog.
That was my understanding as well in reading some reviews, but if their new USB implementation is superior to optical, I wonder if the HAT would have a USB implementation that fixes the issues with the RPi implementation?

Just spitballing; I don't understand the underlying issues well enough to know whether that's possible.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #43,852 of 149,008
That was my understanding as well in reading some reviews, but if their new USB implementation is superior to optical, I wonder if the HAT would have a USB implementation that fixes the issues with the RPi implementation?

Just spitballing; I don't understand the underlying issues well enough to know whether that's possible.

Any HAT takes the source from the GPIO pins on the Pi and the output achieved is far superior to USB. There would be little point in implementing a USB via HAT route, there are SPDIF, XLR etc HATs that are excellent!

I have the HIFi Berry and IqaudIO HATs and they are impressive.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #43,853 of 149,008
@Jason Stoddard, now that you folks have been playing around with the Pi, is there any thought about creating a HAT, similar to the IQAudio Pi-DAC or the Allo Digi-One so that we could build our own streamers? Something that cleans up the USB audio from the Pi and provides S/PDIF and/or BNC so that we could connect it to an external DAC?

Great mindsmust think alike. When we heard about a Schiit Pi in the Darko interview, I was thinking that maybe Schiit would build a Pi/Digi-Plus network device that would match the Modi motif.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #43,854 of 149,008
Very, very sad to hear about ORT. The guy had a way with words and a singular wit. He will be missed. Rest in peace.

Great mindsmust think alike. When we heard about a Schiit Pi in the Darko interview, I was thinking that maybe Schiit would build a Pi/Digi-Plus network device that would match the Modi motif.

Schiit have already said, no plans for a RPi device or Hat. Doesn’t mean things won’t change in the future, but the Schiit Pi is an internal processing engine only at this point (possibly just for development purposes, but not sure on that).

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #43,855 of 149,008
Any HAT takes the source from the GPIO pins on the Pi and the output achieved is far superior to USB. There would be little point in implementing a USB via HAT route, there are SPDIF, XLR etc HATs that are excellent!

I have the HIFi Berry and IqaudIO HATs and they are impressive.

So, no point in going back to USB once XLR/SPDIF is available. Thank you for clarifying.

Were you the one that cannibalized a Modi chassis to house an RPi streamer? If so, how did that end up working out?

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #43,856 of 149,008
Very, very sad to hear about ORT. The guy had a way with words and a singular wit. He will be missed. Rest in peace.

Schiit have already said, no plans for a RPi device or Hat. Doesn’t mean things won’t change in the future, but the Schiit Pi is an internal processing engine only at this point (possibly just for development purposes, but not sure on that).
Now that you mention it, I remember them saying that theircomputer genius was coming up with something "like" raspberry but for the complex DSP functions. We will all know when they tell us.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #43,857 of 149,008
Now that you mention it, I remember them saying that theircomputer genius was coming up with something "like" raspberry but for the complex DSP functions. We will all know when they tell us.

The Gadget perhaps:)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1573952852663332&id=141556939236271&refsrc=http://www.google.com/&_rdr

Also thinking this new Schiit pi I will be the tool for the next DSP upgrade for Yggy.

Then maybe we could install our own firmware updates, with an appropriate port added as not to need to open the chassis.

That and the new USB.

Just thinking maybe the new USB would be capable of doing this as well?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #43,860 of 149,008
I have a matching black pair too, not really feeling the need to upgrade the Rag.

What switch do you use to choose between the mjolnir or the rag? Or one of them is connected via rca and the other is via xlr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back