Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #43,561 of 149,010
Due to still being a bachelors student wary of careless roommates I'll keep my Technics SL-10 for now, but I'm definitely excited for Sol when I have the room/privacy!

I had a friend who was living in a communal house setting in university. He really wanted a turntable but did not want to deal with housemates accidentally breaking it. When he moved out, I was able to hook him up with some simple entry level stuff that still sounded good.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #43,562 of 149,010
Jason,

As always, thanks bunches for the continuing stories from Schiit HQ! Always a great peak behind the curtain and educational.

With regards to SOL...and this is probably a cart-before-the-horse question....do y'all plan on putting together some basic instructions to introduce newbies to higher end turntables?

I know you mentioned the setup video but im talking even more basic than that ...something geared towards folks who's turntable experience has been
completely plug-n-play (ie: a late 70s Sears Grand Prix stereo system with turntable, 8 track, cassette, tuner, all in one (which was awesome), or more modern Crosley players (#not-good))?

You mentioned the cartridge but i'd also be interested in the other pieces required to implement SOL...for example i know you have a Mani phono pre-amp but
as ive never played in this sandbox before I dont fully know how/why/if something like this is required and how it lives with other components like standard amps? Looking for Turntable 101.

I know my question doesnt apply to 99% of folks on this thread however Im sure it applies greatly to those, like myself, who are interested in moving into uncharted waters with better gear (helllllooo SOL).
Its not unlike my first steps into headphone amps and dacs...which coincidentally happened to be Schiit products (Magni gen 1).

Thanks again...all the best to the Schiit gang!

Peace .n. "I was going to record talking, i put the foil on and shouted 'Mary had a little lamb', and the machine reproduced it perfectly" -Thomas A Edison

Three Toes of Fury

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #43,563 of 149,010
Jason,

As always, thanks bunches for the continuing stories from Schiit HQ! Always a great peak behind the curtain and educational.

With regards to SOL...and this is probably a cart-before-the-horse question....do y'all plan on putting together some basic instructions to introduce newbies to higher end turntables?

I know you mentioned the setup video but im talking even more basic than that ...something geared towards folks who's turntable experience has been
completely plug-n-play (ie: a late 70s Sears Grand Prix stereo system with turntable, 8 track, cassette, tuner, all in one (which was awesome), or more modern Crosley players (#not-good))?

You mentioned the cartridge but i'd also be interested in the other pieces required to implement SOL...for example i know you have a Mani phono pre-amp but
as ive never played in this sandbox before I dont fully know how/why/if something like this is required and how it lives with other components like standard amps? Looking for Turntable 101.

I know my question doesnt apply to 99% of folks on this thread however Im sure it applies greatly to those, like myself, who are interested in moving into uncharted waters with better gear (helllllooo SOL).
Its not unlike my first steps into headphone amps and dacs...which coincidentally happened to be Schiit products (Magni gen 1).

Thanks again...all the best to the Schiit gang!

Peace .n. "I was going to record talking, i put the foil on and shouted 'Mary had a little lamb', and the machine reproduced it perfectly" -Thomas A Edison

Three Toes of Fury
https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #43,569 of 149,010
Hello,

Where do I look for comments made by Mike Moffat?

Thanks for your help.
Mr. Pete----------->
aging hippie

Be aware that Mike's thread is basically:

- 95% comments about opera (puke)
- 4% comments about coffee (meh)
-1% comments about Mike's products (hell yeah)

If you go straight to the thread you'll have to navigate through tons of pages where nothing related to Schiit is discussed, so it's better if you go to Mike's profile and take a look at his posts, that way you'll go directly to the interesting bits.

Regards.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #43,570 of 149,010
Soooo, Schiit Audio Limited... how's that transport coming along?... I'll need something installed at my Lake Huron outpost to play my Post Modern Jukebox... :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad::ksc75smile:

A (somewhat) sabre-rattling article was posted on How To Geek that reviews the issue about what happens to digital files after the provider goes out of business. It's not a new topic around this forum -- I understand that I lease or rent-until-the-provider-vanishes content can be removed from my devices. Me? I'll convert my proprietary files (like AAC) into high-bit-rate, open-source codex (like MP3, FLAC, ALAC). And hold onto my CDs for dear life.

Article Date: February 6, 2019. Author: Andrew Heinzman. Site accessed: 14:10 EST, Feb. 6/19. Link - https://www.howtogeek.com/403769/wh...property-when-a-company-goes-out-of-business/

BTW, the article's comment section has some thoughtful insights: transferring my digital license to my descendants; an electronic estate; legitimate uses for DRM; onus on user versus provider.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #43,571 of 149,010
I am honored. :)

I had an image from the movie, Finding Nemo. Re: when the clownfish, Marlin (voiced by Albert Brooks), meets the sea turtle, Crush, on the East Australian Current. "Mister Turtle?! No way, man. That's my how I address my Father... I'm Crush (whose over 100 years old)".

Yeah, I've been kicking around the idea of an Asgard as my next HP amp. Valhalla would be great except I don't want to invest time and money in getting 4 matched tubes. One tube via saga or vali is more to my liking.

I was musing about the Valhalla as my next silly headamp upgrade (and pairing it up with my ModiMB). I'd have to restrict my tubes to modest, modern tube products (now that Schiit's SState LISST are discontinued [pity]). In the meantime, my Vali 2's a fantastic amp.

Might be a bit like hunting squirrels with a howitzer...?
...{self edited coment}.... +1 for @TomSix . BTW, Mr. Stoddard's latest chapter had a title not lost upon me... and your icon is appropriate here.

What's Aegir?
It's a DEVICE that I can never have (for the sake of my family). Meh, headphones are good enough.

And it's a fascinating story, too.
Medical experimenting is in my blood..
So today my mini-vibrator came in to battle a mild tinnitus.
Three pressure points behind the ears for 30 secs each and Bob's your uncle....{snip}........
Tsk. @Pietro Cozzi Tinin ... now you KNOW I'm going to try that. +1 for your awesome image, sir!
This is why I enjoy this newsgroup. I can learn from my peeps. @Ableza ... Thanks, eh.

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #43,573 of 149,010
I'm hoping you inquired about why they cant make a quiet motor anymore. I fear the answer is "yeah we aren't as good at this as we used to be. A bunch of old guys retired, and no one left knows how to do it"
Tat is also true in creating vacuum tubes that are the "same" as the ones made in the 1950-1970 time period.

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #43,574 of 149,010
Be aware that Mike's thread is basically:

- 95% comments about opera (puke)
- 4% comments about coffee (meh)
-1% comments about Mike's products (hell yeah)

If you go straight to the thread you'll have to navigate through tons of pages where nothing related to Schiit is discussed, so it's better if you go to Mike's profile and take a look at his posts, that way you'll go directly to the interesting bits.

Regards.

Irony: someone on this thread complaining about the signal to noise ratio on baldr's thread.
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back