Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 11, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #39,931 of 149,008
I am finally getting a chance to check out some tubes a gentleman on here sent me for use in a Lyr 2, perhaps this is a Schiit stack and a half. IMG_0130.jpg

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #39,932 of 149,008
That looks pretty tubbey.:beerchug:

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #39,934 of 149,008
I needed something longer than the 1m PYST USB cable Schiit sells; ended up with a 2m Belkin 2.0 cable with a ferrite core on either end. No complaints so far.

Both are fine I am sure. I do not tend to use ferrites but I understand the principle. I run a lot of equipment when I turn my amps on, it is not odd for me to have 25-30 devices going in my downstairs at one time; my shop is not far away and that gets even scarier so I tend to be concerned about shielding and I really do not have any issues. I was also pushing past 15 feet with some of my USB cables so I sought out cable I knew would do the job.

Tonight I am switching back and forth between twin class A solid state headphone amps and a class A tube amp, damn I still like tubes. Even with an Aegir, I would be looking for tube monoblocks most likely.

At some point I was given a vintage Tung Sol 6SN7 GTB as well as a 5998, great tubes. I like choices.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #39,935 of 149,008
I have two stupid questions regarding Aegir.

Stupid question 1: As I understand, it's only ~30 watts per channel. If I feed it with a pre-amp (like my Vali 2), how does that affect it? (I suppose this is more of a general question.)

Stupid question 2: I have a ~50 watt Class T amp already for my bookshelf speakers (Dayton Audio's DTA-120). I find Schiit's pricing pretty reasonable and that said, the $700 was about double what I was expecting. So, what's the difference between my $100 amp and Aegir?

Disclaimer: I'm already a happy owner of a Vali 2/Modi 2 Uber.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #39,936 of 149,008
...I have the closest reasonable cost "copy" I could find - Fountek Neo X3...

I looked these up on Parts Express. Decent specs, but, for some reason, the "Proudly Made In China' printing on the back made me laugh out loud. :blush:

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #39,937 of 149,008
I looked these up on Parts Express. Decent specs, but, for some reason, the "Proudly Made In China' printing on the back made me laugh out loud. :blush:

It's pretty cheeky of me to compare them to the Raals. It's like comparing a ML Aerius with a ML Theos, there is a similarity - like similar technology, but no its not a real match. I like them, and they are pair matched and they are much better than the metal tweeters they replaced.

One thing about ribbons - no DC - or *poof*

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #39,938 of 149,008

Stupid question 1: As I understand, it's only ~30 watts per channel. If I feed it with a pre-amp (like my Vali 2, how does that affect it? (I suppose this is more of a general question.)

Stupid question 2: I have a ~50 watt Class T amp already for my bookshelf speakers (Dayton Audio's DTA-120). I find Schiit's pricing pretty reasonable and that said, the $700 was about double what I was expecting. So, what's the difference between my $100 amp and Aegir?

What the heck. I'll take a shot. A pre-amp with lots of juice won't give more power from your amp, but, not enough from the pre-amp could possibly limit what the amp could put out. Check output and input stats of each item you are thinking of matching and hit the web for any horror stories.

Class A amps that run true balanced (I assume that's so in the Aegir case) - means you end up with potentially double the parts count. Since it's a high reaching product they are not using crummy resistors, caps, etc in the signal path, they are using tight spec (I.E. more expensive) parts.

I'm going to that Boston area get together in November with Schiit in attendance, wonder if a pre production example might make an appearance - tight timeline, so probably not - but maybe...

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #39,939 of 149,008
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #39,940 of 149,008
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #39,941 of 149,008
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #39,942 of 149,008

Stupid question 1: As I understand, it's only ~30 watts per channel. If I feed it with a pre-amp (like my Vali 2), how does that affect it? (I suppose this is more of a general question.)

To answer your question #2, here is @TomSix’ very good description of A/AB amplifier topologies:
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14525653/

A rough explanation of how class D/T amplifiers work is:
For sinusoidal input signal it generates square impulses of varying length and separation between them. Square impulse has a harmonic spectrum of a fundamental frequency (defined by the duration of the impulse) and an infinite number of overtones. It then relies on it's own output filters and the speaker (which is also a low-pass filter) to remove some of the overtones and output a signal similar to the input signal. This also means that D/T amplifiers destroy the original signal completely and generate something "similar".

The premise here is that humans percieve overtones as "good" (even partials) or "bad" (odd partials) and D class amplifiers generate all of the.

Fun fact: timbre (and quality) of musical instruments is defined by their frequency spectrum and overtones they produce.

Hope this makes sense as it's been a long time since I had signal processing courses.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #39,945 of 149,008
what I means is class A only lower the distortions the amp tipology tell you all the story ....read sound

Sorry I must be thinking of the meaning of "schematic" with which I am familiar, there must be another meaning perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back