Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #38,372 of 149,151
Is "fast" one of them subjective measurements?

It may well be, personally I got various speakers, amplifiers and completed subs through friends at Klipsch and did my own experimenting. There was a Martin Logan in the batch as well as another brand whose name I forget. I believe I started with seven or eight and gave some parts away to a friend who did cabinet work for me. I can recall liking the smaller speaker setups for two channel audio so I figured those might be considered fast. :smile_phones:

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #38,375 of 149,151
With subs, there are some things you feel but do not hear. Below 20 hertz is infrasound, some special effects in movies go pretty low (seven hertz or so) but that is of less use for two channel audio. 18 hertz is the resonant frequency of the human eye but many special effects are not a sustained sound. Getting down to 7 hertz and sustaining it you get really close to the fundamental frequency of the human body.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #38,376 of 149,151
With subs, there are some things you feel but do not hear. Below 20 hertz is infrasound, some special effects in movies go pretty low (seven hertz or so) but that is of less use for two channel audio. 18 hertz is the resonant frequency of the human eye but many special effects are not a sustained sound. Getting down to 7 hertz and sustaining it you get really close to the fundamental frequency of the human body.

Two words: Pipe organ.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #38,379 of 149,151
I also prefer sealed
while normally yes sealed is better for being fast and transient i can say if designed correctly and taking into account the actual drivers specifications a ported PROPERLY tuned enclosure can sound just as good and 99% as fast as a sealed box while being more efficient. ive done enclosure and box design for over 25 years. the biggest thing with ported i see way to often is they are just not either designed properly or tuned properly or both even from large manufactures.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #38,380 of 149,151
while normally yes sealed is better for being fast and transient i can say if designed correctly and taking into account the actual drivers specifications a ported PROPERLY tuned enclosure can sound just as good and 99% as fast as a sealed box while being more efficient. ive done enclosure and box design for over 25 years. the biggest thing with ported i see way to often is they are just not either designed properly or tuned properly or both even from large manufactures.

Very good info. By no means do I have your experience. It is like any area in electronics, work with pre-amps a lot like @TomSix or Wayne Colburn or Dacs and amps like Mike or Jason and you become very good in that area. I might have spent a couple months working with sub-woofers myself and grabbed a small selection so I could pick what I liked best.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #38,381 of 149,151
True. Has a lot to do with the size of the cabinet. I believe ATC goes ported above 20 liters in order to control the pressures

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #38,383 of 149,151
For those of you pushing Vidar into the +100 db range. Have you noticed (subjectively) any distortion or other graininess at higher volume levels? How does the Vidar work at low volume levels? When I upgrade my 2 ch a fair bit of my listening will be done at night, in low light, at low to very low listening levels. Wondering if you can still hear all of the details at low volume.

Vidar seems fine to me at modest levels. I have discovered that the light - low or otherwise - makes no detectable difference :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #38,384 of 149,151
Specs are tricky. Audition! You hear

Yeah, I'm in the same camp, specs are nice when it comes to narrow the candidates for a new purchase, but at the end of the day, the ears are the "ultimate test".

I was asking cause I assumed you were talking about a measurable parameter, but it seems "fast" is just your own subjective subwoofer rating.

Thanks for your input, anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back