Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #35,972 of 145,758
Excellent write up Jason, as a newbie engineer in a totally different field (RF compliance testing). I found your advice useful and very relevant. Start using a pen and engineering notebook and recording everything and anything useful is the best advice I would give to all to be engineers. Gotta take them notes, or you are bound to forget it.

I would love to move into design and R&D one day...

Jason thanks for the chapter, good advice for new engineers. I used OneNote for the last 4 years of my engineering career (greatest thing since slice bread) and still use it for day to day notes in my retirement.

As a high school science teacher, I see many aspiring university students hell bent on becoming 'geers. If the opportunity comes up, I might share this posting with the students (of whom, I secretly WANT to be happy and succeed).

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #35,975 of 145,758
Or you could get a beer that does not turn skunky at room temperature. I have had a number of good stouts and trippels that good cold or not.

Yep. I always allow my big beers to approach room temp before consumption. :thumbsup:

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #35,976 of 145,758
No, the whole fish had to go to a taxidermist in Eagle River, they can't do it any other way if you want the actual fish.
At this point I wish I'd had it cast and painted, would've held up better.
Oh well, nobody that visits me really cares about my fish so...big whoop!

Eagle River.....Wisconsin! God's country.

Edit: I see that BagelJoe beat me to it! We used to vacation in Manitowish Waters every year...Grandpa had a cabin on Little Star lake. Beautiful.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #35,978 of 145,758
Fishing. Another of those hobbies where large sums of money can just go POOF in the blink of an eye. :)

And, right up there with golf trips and golf equipment (buy a better swing) and ski trips, and bar bills.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #35,979 of 145,758
When I think Eagle River, I think of another expensive hobby.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #35,980 of 145,758
Or you could get a beer that does not turn skunky at room temperature. I have had a number of good stouts and trippels that are good cold or not.

I was not talking about the beers turning skunky lol, I just prefer cold beer to stay cold.

Right now is a time for celebration, my rental property passed inspection, something I have to face every four years. This was the first time they did not write up something and trust me, they can always find something.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #35,981 of 145,758
I was not talking about the beers turning skunky lol, I just prefer cold beer to stay cold.

Right now is a time for celebration, my rental property passed inspection, something I have to face every four years. This was the first time they did not write up something and trust me, they can always find something.

I came back from 16months in Iraq in 2006 and my house still hadn't passed occupancy inspection (wife oversaw construction while I was deployed). I went to visit the county inspectors office. He very subtlety asked for a bribe.

So yes they can always find something.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #35,982 of 145,758
This was the first time I had a female inspector so I just chatted with her a bit and explained what I was in the process of fixing and she was fine with it. Four years ago I was told bedroom windows were too small by 1/2 inch, it cost several hundred to get an easement. They had supposedly missed this for twenty previous years lol.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #35,983 of 145,758
I came back from 16months in Iraq in 2006 and my house still hadn't passed occupancy inspection (wife oversaw construction while I was deployed). I went to visit the county inspectors office. He very subtlety asked for a bribe.

So yes they can always find something.

Bet I could find plenty wrong at his house, I'd record the bribe and give it to the cops.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #35,984 of 145,758
I had already replaced roofs, installed new smoke detectors and went through and replaced any outlets with cracks and switch plates with cracks so I had done plenty of preliminary things. Had a tree cut down and a neighbors tree trimmed back. All it takes is one weed next to the house and they can write you up if they want. She let me slide on a couple things I will get done anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back