Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #35,086 of 149,089
Another Jazz Recommendation...

Album: Day Trip
Artists: Pat Metheny (w/ Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez)

A guitar legend in the world of Jazz-Fusion, Pat Metheny has a sound and style that is unique and unforgettable. His ability to make his playing sound smooth and effortless, belies the skill and complexity associated with his music. Add two highly regarded and skilled musicians to complete the trio and what you have is music that is a real treat. It's a smooth ride, so just close your eyes and let the music take you where it will. I highly recommend this one.

Available on Tidal and Spotify.

If you like his music, check out 'Bright Size Life' and 'New Chautauqua'.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #35,087 of 149,089
Tom - not sure what DAC you're using now, but I suspect you'll start hearing new things in your music when you get the Gungnir MB DAC in your rig.
I know that I did...and still discovering new music almost every day. A nice journey!

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #35,088 of 149,089
Another Jazz Recommendation...

Album: Day Trip
Artists: Pat Metheny (w/ Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez)

A guitar legend in the world of Jazz-Fusion, Pat Metheney has a sound and style that is unique and unforgettable. His ability to make his playing sound smooth effortless, belies the skill and compleixty associated with his music. Add two highly regarded and skilled musicians to complete the trio and what you have is music that is a real treat. It's a smooth ride, so just close your eyes and let the music take you where it will. I highly recommend this one.

Available on Tidal and Spotify.

If you like his music, check out 'Bright Size Life' and 'New Chautauqua'.
It is a very mellow and relaxing record another great recommendation. It is also on goggle play.

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #35,089 of 149,089
Lol, ok! Just got the Massdropped Hifiman HE 4xx, and on the Lyr 3 they are luscious - so I’m revisiting som favourite folk by Priscilla Ahn. Albums include: A Good Day, This is Where We Are, When We Grow Up, and the soundtrack to the Studio Ghibli film When Marnie Was Here.

Will move to more lively stuff soon, but had read that the HE 4xx excel with vocal and acoustic stuff, and I’m loving them thus far. Will play with Loki a bit tomorrow...

Nice choices. Loved the film and book and have enjoyed the soundtrack on many occasions.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #35,090 of 149,089
It's alive!!!! It's alive!!!! (OK -- technically, it's powered off) ...

The latest addition to my Schiit family of products. The now-all-to-familiar CoasterHead!!

Tom ( @Paladin79 ) did a wonderful job, and I must say that it is a pretty nice sounding (and looking) rig. I have it connected to my Hidizs AP60 Pro DAP and my Hifiman HE400S cans. At 11 o'clock it's more than sufficiently loud and the sound signature is quite enjoyable w/ surprising FR range and detail. It ain't no Lyr 3, but it ain't nothing to be ashamed of either. Fortunately for me, I haven't figured out how to tube roll with it -- yet!!

20180718_191814.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #35,091 of 149,089
IMG_2847.JPG IMG_2844.JPG It's great to get another opinion about that little amp.

I am not allowing you to have one with tube sockets, or you might tube roll. At least the tubes are about $2.00 each compared to some I have that were fifty times that.

That headphone rack can be duplicated, this amp vessel is more difficult, and one of a kind.IMG_2845 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #35,092 of 149,089
Baaah. If I need someone to hold my Coaster, I'll just tell my wife -- "Here- hold this." I bet your fancy-schmancy hand Coaster stand won't follow you around the house :wink:

<minimizes screen quickly and checks to see if the coast is clear> :anguished:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #35,093 of 149,089
You probably have thin little effete fingers from typing on keyboards all day, just like my inspiration Escher.escher.jpgIt takes a lot hard work and possibly the holding of a single malt scotch glass to develop sausage fingers. You are just jealous, and Texan, and probably wearing a cowboy hat.:) and or spurs.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #35,095 of 149,089
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #35,096 of 149,089
To quote a fellow Texan of yours who goes by the name of Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad. I can also quote LBJ but it has to do with never trusting a man unless you have his p.....ker in your pocket but I digress. Speaking of x presidents from Texas, there are a couple who are starting to look better every day. I was not a fan at the time, but everything is relative.

Glad you liked the amp, they may not measure well but for $40, where can you find any headphone amp unless it comes out of China and you can only understand part of the menu. (I own a dap like that, I just keep pushing buttons till music comes out.) The Coaster has a unique little sound.

I need to move a few things around and get ready for a multibit dac, I will have two balanced Dacs feeding into the Freya, I own one more but I lent it to a friend. I am trying to make use of all of the inputs and outputs to give it a good test but so far I am liking it.

It is getting late for me, I have a feeling Rippers wife is standing over him with a smoking gun asking him how to reload, so I shall call it a night.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #35,097 of 149,089
for $40, where can you find any headphone amp unless it comes out of China and you can only understand part of the menu.
"The use of matrix relay volume, effective to ensure that 4-way volume unanimous"
Love that stuff :-D
And that's from the Amazon page of a $929 headphone amp.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #35,098 of 149,089
Lol try following their schematics sometime.

I will leave with this line from Darth Vader, it is particularly timely.

“Luke, I misspoke, I am NOT your father.”

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #35,099 of 149,089
You probably have thin little effete fingers from typing on keyboards all day, just like my inspiration Escher.It takes a lot hard work and possibly the holding of a single malt scotch glass to develop sausage fingers. You are just jealous, and Texan, and probably wearing a cowboy hat.:) and or spurs.
Maurits Cornelis Escher is a fantastic inspiration Tickles my Dutch ribs though a few if them are already Portugueese

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #35,100 of 149,089
Hoping that there’ll be a new Schiit product launch during CanJam London!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back