Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 19, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #33,046 of 145,767
6iCCWT.png

That's a rig that was set up for the Grateful Dead...

May 19, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #33,047 of 145,767
Thanks for your kind and prompt replies.
I have two questions though.
Do I have to buy DACs separately? Actually all of my players are with DAC. Is it a really must to buy extra DACs or is the amp sufficient to power up HD-6XX?
Could you write the price you bough your DACs/Amp for me to get a clue about them?
Try the Fulla2. I use it from laptop/iphone/ipad/imac to the 6xx and like it very much. Always working and good SQ, also take it to the office but use akg k551 or earbuds from venture electronics at work because of my colleagues

May 19, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #33,048 of 145,767
That's a rig that was set up for the Grateful Dead...

Yes indeed, the Wall of Sound. Here is a photo from the Hollywood Bowl, 21 July 1974, of the Wall in all it's glory.

ifsmQU.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #33,049 of 145,767
Thanks!

Now what did I do with that hollow cat statue I had laying around my garage a couple years ago? I think the girth was about right to hold a coaster amp.

My wife and I do stocking stuffers for all my employees at Xmas and I am running out of ideas so if these become available for purchase I would most likely grab more for that purpose.
Sounds like my father and I need to come over and do an episode of "American Pickers" at your place!

May 19, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #33,050 of 145,767
That sounds better than an episode of "Hoarders". I will admit that I made up the story about the hollow catIMG_2713.JPG I am searching for round objects into which i might incorporate the Coaster, I like a challenge. Even with miniature tubes, there should be some heat generated so i need to bear that in mind.

I was serious about the stocking stuffers, these are some pretty neat coasters and I try not to give the same types of gifts over and over.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #33,052 of 145,767
..Even with miniature tubes, there should be some heat generated so i need to bear that in mind...
JAN6418 heater power 12.5 milliWatts (1.25V and 10mA) so not a real burner. :)
Look forward to hearing about your exploits with the Coaster and the exotic cases that might evolve, must have a copper/brass one at least.

May 19, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #33,053 of 145,767
Those coasters look sweet. I'm hoping to have some of my own soon. Mimby, Magni, coasters, scotch = life be good. Happy Friday all.

Consider giving back to your fellow man if you can. I'm a Shriner, we support free health care for kids in need. We're worldwide. Look us up, www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org

Edit
P.S. this post was written under the influence of whisky and love of life. Whatever you do, be kind to your fellow man and give back as much as you can.

Be good to one another.
Right on, brother. The Shriners are on a great mission. A friend of mine is 33rd degree in the Scottish Rite.
Here's a person who gives back in exceptional fashion...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

May 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #33,054 of 145,767
JAN6418 heater power 12.5 milliWatts (1.25V and 10mA) so not a real burner. :)
Look forward to hearing about your exploits with the Coaster and the exotic cases that might evolve, must have a copper/brass one at least.

Good info Jimmers, I have little experience with those tubes.

Copper is easy, starting to work on something right now.

May 19, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #33,055 of 145,767
Received my Lyr 3 today. Plugged in the TUNG-SOL tube and proceeded to give it a listen...

Wow! Just wow! The resolution and air around instruments is just wonderful. It just seems that more space, texture, and emotion is given to instruments and voices. Given the right recordings, the Lyr 3 makes the music palpable. I love my Magni 3, but Lyr 3 is just on a completely different level -- of course Lyr 3 is 5x the price of Magni 3.

This is my 1st real tube amp, so I don't know if the difference is to be attributed primarily to the Tube Sound, but honestly, I don't care. It is just wonderful and makes me want to re-listen to my favorite music to see what I've been missing!!

<I posted this in the Lyr 3 Coherence thread, but wanted to share here, as well.>

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #33,057 of 145,767
IMG_2717.JPG Congrats Ripper! This is some of my early work with a Coaster amp, when finished it should open like a Faberge Easter egg.IMG_2716.JPG

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #33,059 of 145,767

Are you planning on putting that one into the Chambord bottle? That might be something interesting to have on the desk at work....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back