Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #32,446 of 148,516
Funny you should mention it. I was listening to them and that song via YouTube. I had to use VPN and connect via a Malaysian server, though. Never heard them before. I suspect it's because they are likely banned by all Texas ISP's.

"Jesus loves me, but he can't stand you." has me falling out of my chair !!! :D

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #32,447 of 148,516
That is probably true, I heard about them from professors up north. No doubt pinko subversives. Tidal has most anything by them, I am truly impressed by their music access.

The song Why Can’t we Blow up Saddam is very funny

May 5, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #32,448 of 148,516
Added to my Tidal artists list!!

May 5, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #32,449 of 148,516
A NSFW song is one by Two Nice Girls

I Spent My Last $10 (on birth control and beer)

Not an easy song to find and you have to be careful of photos that can pop up when you search for the group name.

They also do a decent job of Sweet Jane by Lou Reed

May 5, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #32,451 of 148,516
Speaking of craft beer in Texas,I visit Austin several times a year and always try to drive up to Salado for an evening trying as many craft beers as I can at the Chupacabra craft beer bar. Fun joint and great beer.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #32,452 of 148,516
Or, it could have been a bad run of MOSFETs. The ones we replaced them with had a different lot code. Again, not very plausible.

I'm late to this little shindig, having found this thread after starting my modest Schiit stack, but this bit about different date-codes rings true. I have boards with three 24-pin static RAM chips that I routinely cut out and replace (soldered thru-hole DIPs) if their date-code is 0205. Are they all bad? Prolly not. But it's enough of an issue that it's just quicker and cheaper to replace 'em when they come through.

Great thread here, BTW. :metal: :metal:

May 5, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #32,453 of 148,516
May 5, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #32,454 of 148,516
It’s years since I built any speakers but I cannot see adding a bunch of metal to them. Maybe a nice mono block with each, that is another matter.

Ableza you are fortunate to travel, I had plenty of it early in my career but mostly north, south, or east.

May 5, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #32,456 of 148,516
They just arrived last night. Started some listening this morning. Since I don’t have another balanced preamp yet, I’m using Jotunheim to feed the 2 Vidars driving the 1.7i pair.

Started off listening to the same Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD I listened to at the dealer where they were using an Ayre amp. I had the Jot pot at ~3 o’clock for pretty much the whole album and when using an IR thermometer to measure the Vidar, it hit ~109 F on the top panel and 115 in the side fins.
Then I played Tool Lateralus at a 2 o’clock (that CD has higher volume though) and measured up to 116 on top and 125 in the fins. Pretty much equivalent temperature L and R.

No thermal shutdown yet. Not sure how hot the surface would be expected to be before shutdown

Oh yeah and the sound is amazing. Just have to figure out how to make it easy to position speakers for critical listening vs moving them out of the way a bit

You are nowhere close to shutdown, I've had mine well over 150 F on the fins and haven't had a shutdown...

N/M Jason answered you, good to know where they shutdown though, I was curious where they shutdown at, as I was never able to push mine hard enough to get there.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #32,458 of 148,516
I've just had to delete a bunch of posts some of which were reported. If you're reported, please don't reply and feed the OT thread. Get your Schiit together or I'll lock the thread.

Edit: typo fixed, Thx AudioBear :wink:

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #32,460 of 148,516
I'm back and despite the promise of drunken debauchery, I achieved neither. I did however have a great time at our favorite tequila bar with the wife and old friends. Fun without making a fool of ones self is always good!!

If you've been in Texas long enough... you'll know what Jax, Pearl and Shiner beer are.

Jax escapes me, but I think it was before my arrival to the Lonestar State (1982). I definitely recall Pearl brewery in downtown San Antonio before it bought Pabst and transitioned to Miller. Shiner is still around and kickin' it. Shiner Blonde and their seasonal run of beers are favorites of mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back