Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #31,861 of 148,487
Despite popular belief, there are still some exciting things to do in IT, just let the support folks deal with the end users... I haven't faced the actual clients/customers for years and I'm glad I don't have to anymore.

Someone still has to support the internal folks and more often than not it's the IT guys, at least in small companies. When you work IT at a small business, you are the only support.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #31,862 of 148,487
Jason,

If you could hit or beat 25W mono into 8 ohms pure Class A, that would put you in the legendary Mark Levinson ML-2 range. In 1981 when I was a broke recent college grad, one of those mono amps went for $5,000 retail. I saw them in a showroom that was by appointment only because I knew the brother of the sales guy. I was just there to ooh and aww. Just a hint of a marketing blurb.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #31,863 of 148,487
Below that subwoofer range lies infrasound which large animals use to communicate and tigers use to freeze their prey. There was also the case of a scientist who thought he was seeing ghosts when a fan in his lab was producing 15 hertz, the resonant frequency of the human eye. You feel it more than hear it. Low frequencies also travel farther than high frequencies.
Humans have other resonant frequencies, aka "the brown note". :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #31,864 of 148,487
Someone still has to support the internal folks and more often than not it's the IT guys, at least in small companies. When you work IT at a small business, you are the only support.

Actually now that I am recently retired I do volunteer support for a small non-profit. I am literally "IT".

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #31,866 of 148,487
A couple of quick comments:

1. On the active crossover, yep, I've thought about it, but I think it is WAY too niche for us. Niche is fine, built-for-the-3-people-who-really-really-really-want-it is a whole 'nother thing. Sumo did an active crossover in the era before commonly available powered subs with integrated crossovers, and it wasn't exactly a ball of fire on the sales end. I think it's gonna be 10000x worse today.

2. On FedEx/UPS/Canada, yeah, I hear you. I'd rather use FedEx, and I hope it's sorted. But the way they've treated this is making me want to Hulk out. Time to go hiking for a while and chill.

3. On Pietro's bike, I was too busy to comment, but words can't express how thrilled I am that the community pulled together for him in such an amazing way. Seriously, guys, in the end it doesn't come down to how shiny the chassis, how hot the tubes, how many bits or taps in the DAC, how perfect the provenance of the recording; value the great people in your life and spend time with them.
Jason, you know I'm an early adopter. I have met you and also some of the people who work for you and Mike. This IS just a hobby for us here. But this thread IS real people. We can shoulder that responsibility willingly or not.

Thank you (for saying what you did)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #31,867 of 148,487
A couple of quick comments:

1. On the active crossover, yep, I've thought about it, but I think it is WAY too niche for us. Niche is fine, built-for-the-3-people-who-really-really-really-want-it is a whole 'nother thing. Sumo did an active crossover in the era before commonly available powered subs with integrated crossovers, and it wasn't exactly a ball of fire on the sales end. I think it's gonna be 10000x worse today.

Ahh, but I think that was also "before commonly available powered subs" were available. If anyone wants to add one of the many widely-available subs to 2-channel today, options are a) one of a couple of really expensive analog solutions that costs more than Freya+Vidar, b) a solution with an extra ADC/DAC step, c) an integrated amp (or a receiver which will be at least 5.1) that provides a crossover or d) set the LPF on the sub and run the mains full range.
Now, some subs allow for an option e) where the sub also provides a HPF (not full-range) out. I have 2 different subs from 2 different vendors (on 2 different systems), and neither of these has HPF out, so I'm not considering this as a universally available solution. Also, I haven't seen any particularly good reviews on ones that do, but I don't know that's the case across the board by any means.

So yeah, I guess I'm "one of the 3" that have expressed strong interest. And you need to make products that fit in your product line and will sell. I get that.
But, given the lack of a good and widely-available solution for 2.1 today, the resoundingly positive feedback I've read on Loki mini and the (assumed) similarity of such a solution with the Loki, plus the wide availability of powered subs today that folks might want to add, it seems like there is an opportunity. But, my opinion could be biased by my needs.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #31,868 of 148,487
Actually now that I am recently retired I do volunteer support for a small non-profit. I am literally "IT".

My job title is Graphic Designer, but I do all of the IT and customer support as well. A few examples: I set up our office wireless network and repeaters, I set up our on-site NAS and off-site backups, I install software like antivirus and Microsoft office for other less techy employees, I set up our custom Moodle LMS and domain/hosting, I do all of the coding for our websites, and I pick up the phone to answer tech support calls from our end users who are trying to take one of our training courses and can't get it to work. Oh yeah, I occasionally open up Photoshop or Illustrator to do my actual job, lol

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #31,869 of 148,487
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #31,870 of 148,487
My Rythmik Audio subwoofer does have an HPF out, but its frequency is fixed, and it somehow doesn't sound all that enjoyable. I'd be interested in a transparent crossover to have more flexibility there.

But another interesting use case is by-amping, which makes a lot more sense with a good crossover in front of the amps. Though that's probably even more niche, but it would improve amp sales :wink:

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #31,871 of 148,487
Been there, done that , got the T shirt (showing my feelings towards doing it again)

upload_2018-4-26_15-38-27.png

@Letmebefrank I notice we have the same kinds of phones, 'cept my px100 are originals and I don't have M-50X or PC37X, instead I have Momentum, T50RP (and DT-100 etc,) + Jotunheim

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #31,874 of 148,487
Hi Jason
Now that we are throwing far fetched ideas at you. Would you consider building a prototype for a hybrid amp using a Korg nutube?

A la Nelson Pass. Cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back