Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 16, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #30,181 of 145,615
Hello everyone, been meaning to share this, I'm sure Jason won't mind, have a laugh, Schiit yourself at 2:28 in, recently posted by Paul McGowan, this is worth a watch...... really, have a little toddy first and to sip on during if that's your thing!

That would be one Schiit show! Hello, Jason.......

Think I'll post this on Mike's thread. Sure hope he's doing ok. This will make anyone who hangs here laugh.......I hope!

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #30,182 of 145,615
Hello everyone, been meaning to share this, I'm sure Jason won't mind, have a laugh, Schiit yourself at 2:28 in, recently posted by Paul McGowan, this is worth a watch...... really, have a little toddy first and to sip on during if that's your thing!

That would be one Schiit show! Hello, Jason.......

Think I'll post this on Mike's thread. Sure hope he's doing ok. This will make anyone who hangs here laugh.......I hope!

Gizmo was Gonzo, but his amps were sublime! I had the opportunity to listen to a couple that he had an influence on. His writings in "Listener" magazine were highly entertaining.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #30,184 of 145,615
I had a moscode 300 (or was it the 600, I forget) which had cajones beyond it's rated power output.

Unfortunately, I modded it into extinction, but I learned a great deal so it wasn't a wasted exercise in solder technique and ingenuity.

JJ

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #30,185 of 145,615
Cool video/story. I hadn't heard of their company before. The only item they make that I can afford is a 50 dollar AC Receptacle. Also, an audio grade power receptacle/outlet? Is that for real?

On another note, I wish I had been prepared for the difference a good amp (magni 3) and headphones make. My 2 channel setup sounds awful by comparison. I'm in my basement listening while working and drinking, and it's clear I need to buy more Schiit.

A question for Jason, you guys ever thought of partnering with some company to offer in house financing? Like my Lowe's card, for example. Spend 1000 dollars and get 3.99 or 1.99 percent financing or something? Even if you charged me a 5% percent surcharge it'd be worth it. Much easier for my personality to spend 80-100 bucks a month for 12-15 months, then save for a few months and buy my system one piece at a time. (But isn't credit/debt one of the many problems with our culture these days?) Dave Ramsey is crying somewhere right now. (Sorry Dave, I'm trying).

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #30,187 of 145,615
Cool video/story. I hadn't heard of their company before. The only item they make that I can afford is a 50 dollar AC Receptacle. Also, an audio grade power receptacle/outlet? Is that for real?

On another note, I wish I had been prepared for the difference a good amp (magni 3) and headphones make. My 2 channel setup sounds awful by comparison. I'm in my basement listening while working and drinking, and it's clear I need to buy more Schiit.

A question for Jason, you guys ever thought of partnering with some company to offer in house financing? Like my Lowe's card, for example. Spend 1000 dollars and get 3.99 or 1.99 percent financing or something? Even if you charged me a 5% percent surcharge it'd be worth it. Much easier for my personality to spend 80-100 bucks a month for 12-15 months, then save for a few months and buy my system one piece at a time. (But isn't credit/debt one of the many problems with our culture these days?) Dave Ramsey is crying somewhere right now. (Sorry Dave, I'm trying).

I think the best way that Schiit is contributing is by keeping their prices low, and by offering stuff for small wallets.

I doubt if Schiit would be interested in stepping into (or partnering with) financing. I may be very oldfashioned, but what is wrong with saving until you can pay something? Saving for say 6 to 12 months builds up the anticipation, and you will be extra happy when you finally have the product. If that time frame is not long enough, then better settle for another product. Borrowing money won't put one in a better position. But again, I am old school.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #30,188 of 145,615

snip
Some are convinced such things as 'better' plugs and receptacles make no difference, while others have experienced improvements, myself included.
And there are less expense connectors to experiment with, to find out for yourself.

Here are couple of examples.
http://www.jenalabs.com/ac-products/ac-parts09.html
http://www.cryo-parts.com/1subaudioconnector/

And in my experience the duplex receptacle is more often than not, overlooked.

Just my 2¢

JJ

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #30,189 of 145,615
1 plug with a few grams of metal can make an effect on the most probably miles of poor mains power cables leading to your house?

Seems legit :p

More logical to me to get the transformers like Jason spoke off a few months ago as then you are effectively isolated from the outside world. Well at least as much as you ever can without having a private mains line to your house $$$.

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #30,190 of 145,615
I am an idiot in general but I tend to believe people who spend money on stuff when they say it sounds better. Perhaps most of these connections are poorly made in the first place and being replaced by what should have been installed in the first place?

It makes more sense to me to physically isolate the turntable from the outside world. Go down into bedrock and use and Ibeam to support a table physically distinct from the floor and walls reflecting the music.

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #30,191 of 145,615
Some are convinced such things as 'better' plugs and receptacles make no difference, while others have experienced improvements, myself included.
And there are less expense connectors to experiment with, to find out for yourself.

Here are couple of examples.
http://www.jenalabs.com/ac-products/ac-parts09.html
http://www.cryo-parts.com/1subaudioconnector/

And in my experience the duplex receptacle is more often than not, overlooked.

Just my 2¢

JJ

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...rounding-Duplex-Outlet-Gray-8300-GY/301361166

Edit: The Hubble is considered slightly better because the ground strap is brass instead of steel. I don't buy that consideration.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #30,192 of 145,615
I tried the top of the line Hubble and and a few others (hospital grade, even 99¢ 'contractor grade' (read, cheap as possible) etc.) and didn't notice much if any difference.
And IF the pre-existing receptacle was old and decrepit (worn out), then ANY thing was better, go figure.

But when I tried a cryo treated receptacle I noticed an immediate change for the better.
And I've been exploring this topic ever since and have expanded it to include metallurgy, which is an equal in terms of improving SQ, to that of having the connectors cryo treated, at least in my system anyway.
These details were a factor in my series of posts on power cables and their ability to pass current.

My last tweak to my cables was to upgrade ALL of my ac power connectors (and interconnects) to rhodium plated plugs used with gold plated receptacles.
I completely killed any warranty on my Shunyata cables, but the results are most sublime.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #30,193 of 145,615
I tried the top of the line Hubble and and a few others (hospital grade, even 99¢ 'contractor grade' (read, cheap as possible) etc.) and didn't notice much if any difference.
And IF the pre-existing receptacle was old and decrepit (worn out), then ANY thing was better, go figure.

But when I tried a cryo treated receptacle I noticed an immediate change for the better.
And I've been exploring this topic ever since and have expanded it to include metallurgy, which is an equal in terms of improving SQ, to that of having the connectors cryo treated, at least in my system anyway.
These details were a factor in my series of posts on power cables and their ability to pass current.

My last tweak to my cables was to upgrade ALL of my ac power connectors (and interconnects) to rhodium plated plugs used with gold plated receptacles.
I completely killed any warranty on my Shunyata cables, but the results are most sublime.

JJ
Hospital grade tells you there are some bigger tolerances to take peaks, artifacts, anomalies etc.
It prevents the heart/lung machine to shut down just when they try to replace that extremely hard rock for a real heart.

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #30,194 of 145,615
I am an idiot in general but I tend to believe people who spend money on stuff when they say it sounds better. Perhaps most of these connections are poorly made in the first place and being replaced by what should have been installed in the first place?

It makes more sense to me to physically isolate the turntable from the outside world. Go down into bedrock and use and Ibeam to support a table physically distinct from the floor and walls reflecting the music.

Back in the 1980's when I worked for a small High End audio shop in Leesburg, Virginia we had a client that had a contractor cut out a circular portion of the slab in his audio equipment closet and then had them pour an isolated concrete column several feet high to place his Oracle Delphi TT on. Unfortunately I was never able to see or hear the results of the construction project...

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #30,195 of 145,615
1 plug with a few grams of metal can make an effect on the most probably miles of poor mains power cables leading to your house?

Seems legit :p

More logical to me to get the transformers like Jason spoke off a few months ago as then you are effectively isolated from the outside world. Well at least as much as you ever can without having a private mains line to your house $$$.
By pure fortune, I do have a "private" main to my house. I am the only customer on the secondary of a 25 KVA pad mounted transformer, the primary being 14.4 KV fed to it by a 1500 ft underground cable from the street radial. So, any noise I find has to be mostly from my equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back