Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 11, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #29,146 of 149,102
Well, Schiit has the Loki. So why not a Bragi, an analog Fletcher-Munson loudness device. One knob, marked in decibels that adjusts the frequency response.

Bragi would be an awesome name for the gadget, though.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #29,147 of 149,102
Yeah Jason...Make some thing "toadish". :ksc75smile: Schwarzer Kröten bitte. Vielen Dank im voraus.

Or...Not. I can not see schiit for beans. My eyes hurt. Yeah, I know. **** Toad.:beerchug:

cmuthor.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #29,149 of 149,102
Well, Schiit has the Loki. So why not a Bragi, an analog Fletcher-Munson loudness device. One knob, marked in decibels that adjusts the frequency response.

Bragi would be an awesome name for the gadget, though.
most consumers don't know how loud they listen so they wouldn't know how to set it up.
also your very own equal loudness contour might not be exactly like the average graph. but I guess the general shape would still be perceived as a move in the right direction to keep the same perceived signature. personally I do stick to a very narrow range of listening levels at home so I wouldn't care much for such a system. but implemented on portable gears it could be interesting. I clearly don't use the same listening level when walking in the woods as on a train ^_^.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #29,150 of 149,102
most consumers don't know how loud they listen so they wouldn't know how to set it up.
also your very own equal loudness contour might not be exactly like the average graph. but I guess the general shape would still be perceived as a move in the right direction to keep the same perceived signature. personally I do stick to a very narrow range of listening levels at home so I wouldn't care much for such a system. but implemented on portable gears it could be interesting. I clearly don't use the same listening level when walking in the woods as on a train ^_^.

You're overthinking it, it's not something that needs to be perfectly exact.

Loudness controls are great, I used them extensively when I was a teenager so I could enojy music while the rest of the house was asleep. I would love one again now that I have a family of my own.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #29,151 of 149,102
My Nakamichi SR-4A (designed by Nelson Pass) has a knob with adjustable loudness. Select your volume then turn knob until the music sounds natural. I use it with headphones to sleep at night. Very low volumes are great to fall asleep to. Loudness keeps the music from sounding tinny and shrill. Thank you Nelson and Nakamichi.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #29,153 of 149,102
Question for Vidar owners & experts:

I'd like to pick up a Vidar + Saga to drive a pair of Dynaudio bookshelves, but for a few reasons, I would need to put the pieces inside a large - but closed - cabinet.

I've got a Bifrost inside a similar cabinet that I leave on 24/7 with no issues, but I recognize the Vidar / Freya are different beasts.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? The other option would be something class D where heat is no issue, and I could get enough power to drive the Dynaudios, but for whatever reason, that's a little less exciting to me than the Schiit stack.

Any insights or experience here would be much appreciated. thanks!

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #29,154 of 149,102

I'd like to pick up a Vidar + Saga to drive a pair of Dynaudio bookshelves, but for a few reasons, I would need to put the pieces inside a large - but closed - cabinet.

I've got a Bifrost inside a similar cabinet that I leave on 24/7 with no issues, but I recognize the Vidar / Freya are different beasts.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? The other option would be something class D where heat is no issue, and I could get enough power to drive the Dynaudios, but for whatever reason, that's a little less exciting to me than the Schiit stack.

I don't own a vidar, but based on the temperatures that people are reporting using it in open air, I doubt it would be OK inside of a closed cabinet. If you can, modify the back of the cabinet with a computer fan to exhaust the heat. Add some in-line speed control for silent operation. The bigger the fan, the more air it can move quietly. 200mm fans are back in style now and are excellent for moving lots of air quietly.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #29,155 of 149,102
@Matro5

I have a Saga and a Vidar and I love both, so if it was up to me I'd try to make it work. That being said, they do get toasty. That's how it goes with 100 watt class AB amplifiers and tube electronics. Mine are in an open-air setup. I would say that if your cabinet is completely shut off, then it's not a good idea... unless by "large" you mean massive, then maybe.

Like Letmebefrank, I would suggest that you consider placing some fans in your cabinet. Check out AC Infinity. They make a bunch of fans that are reasonably priced, look nice, and can be set up in all kinds of configurations. I don't use them now but I have in the past with excellent results.

Best of luck.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #29,156 of 149,102

Ambient temp plays a big part. My Vidar right now has been on all night, in open air and the case sits at around 30 degrees C. The ambient the room is 19C. However I have measured it at 40 degrees C idling, when the ambient temp in the room was 26 C, and then 45-50 degrees C while running (4 ohm load). Vidar needs clear air IMO, and if the cupboard was too enclosed the ambient would definitely be high. Add valves into the equation and probably too hot without some ventilation.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #29,157 of 149,102
@Matro5

I have a Saga and a Vidar and I love both, so if it was up to me I'd try to make it work. That being said, they do get toasty. That's how it goes with 100 watt class AB amplifiers and tube electronics. Mine are in an open-air setup. I would say that if your cabinet is completely shut off, then it's not a good idea... unless by "large" you mean massive, then maybe.

Like Letmebefrank, I would suggest that you consider placing some fans in your cabinet. Check out AC Infinity. They make a bunch of fans that are reasonably priced, look nice, and can be set up in all kinds of configurations. I don't use them now but I have in the past with excellent results.

Best of luck.

I have had to do exactly this. There are some super-quiet highly efficient fans out there today. I drilled holes in the bottom of the cabinet and lower back, and I removed the upper part of the backing. It worked really well. I use class D amps (sorry) for my HT system and 9x200 watt channels plus 2 400 watt sub-amps in a small closed closet produce no noticeable change in temperature and the amps don't get warm. Either solution works.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #29,158 of 149,102
My Nakamichi SR-4A (designed by Nelson Pass) has a knob with adjustable loudness. Select your volume then turn knob until the music sounds natural. I use it with headphones to sleep at night. Very low volumes are great to fall asleep to. Loudness keeps the music from sounding tinny and shrill. Thank you Nelson and Nakamichi.

I have a new Vincent SV 237 hybrid integrated amp. Has a loudness option and defeatable tone control. Comes in handy at low volume levels. Love the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back