Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 21, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #28,501 of 149,262
Hi all,
Another head-fier suggest I ask my question here. I recently had a chance to visit the Schiitr and was totally blown away by the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok stack. I'd eventually like to acquire these, but there's no way I can get them both at once. I already have an excellent DAC though (Gungnir multibit), so I'm thinking that the Rag will probably contribute the most dramatic change. Only thing is the device is a few years old now and has a pretty glaring omission of a remote control and possibly a unit gain setting. I feel like there could be a new update to the Rag in the works, but Schiit is characteristically tight lipped about it. Does anyone have any information or rumors about a possible Ragnarok update in the near future? I'd hate to buy one only to see a new one come out shortly thereafter.

PS. Jason, if you're listening: please include a remote and a unity gain setting in the new Ragnarok (if one is in the works)!
Depending upon when you purchase a Rok amp, and if they release an updated version, I'm sure you'd be covered, much like the just updated Jggy.

And since the family resemblance between the Gumby and the Jggy is rather strong to begin with, perhaps the 'best' move would be for The Rok amp 1st.

I have both (Jggy & The Rok) and depending upon what amp/HP pairing your currently running The Rok should be a suitable amp especially if you run a nearfield set up as well.

And know that the Jggy is playing with the big boys, which means it has PLENTY of scaleability, but is also dependent upon the rest of the system as well.
Which in terms of its scaleability, also applies to The Rok amp.

JJ

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #28,502 of 149,262
The more I listen to the Ragnarok (with Yggdrasil) the more I like how it performs with headphones even compared to my other amps with expensive tube substitutes. I have never heard it with 2 channel using its own built in amp or used as a preamp only. Only thing I would ask for in an upgrade would be a volume control with more steps for finer adjustments.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #28,505 of 149,262
I've bben thinking........
I wonder how much better the YGGY would sound if the on/off switch was on the front panel...........:ksc75smile:
You want the switch on the front? Just turn it 180 degrees.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #28,506 of 149,262
Jason, what do you think "audiophile grade" power strips with all those noise-filters and fancy technologies?

I was reading a review about a "low impedance noise-dissipation system" (which is actually an $1000 power strip O_O ), and the biggest surprise for me was that this thing is a "budget" version of a $7000+ power strip (I don`t know even what to say about this O_O ). While I think that such products are mostly orientated on rich and impressionable people, I know that sometimes power lines could bring a noise to amplifiers. I used to have a background hiss in my head-fi system, which disappeared, after I plugged my amp in a separate power strip. I think this was a problem with a ground line in my house (I live in a big old building with a lot of apartments in it), so the noise of switching PSUs in other electronics was not leaking to the ground, or it was a ground loop, or both. I also had an experience with car stereo, where I used to have a noise from alternator, which was solved by putting a capacitor after the alternator output. Sorry, If my explanation sounds somewhat stupid :) I have more or less basic knowledge about electricity and electronics, but my English is not good enough.

Anyway, there are a lot of people in audiophile world, who believes that power lines could affect the sound quality. You have did a great job explaining "they don`t make good parts anymore" bias. It might be very interesting to read about "power cords matter" in future chapters.

P.S. Or maybe we could even see a Schiit power strip some day. I like your PYST cables idea (bought myself a USB recently). When we have an ultra-cheap Chinese cables from one side, and ultra-expensive silver-cryo-i-don`t know what else-cables from the other side, PYST looks very reasonable. PYST is guaranteed not to screw anything, but it does not try to fool customers with cryo-threatening, mono-crystalls and other pseudo-science.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #28,507 of 149,262
Jason, what do you think "audiophile grade" power strips with all those noise-filters and fancy technologies?

I was reading a review about a "low impedance noise-dissipation system" (which is actually an $1000 power strip O_O ), and the biggest surprise for me was that this thing is a "budget" version of a $7000+ power strip (I don`t know even what to say about this O_O ). While I think that such products are mostly orientated on rich and impressionable people, I know that sometimes power lines could bring a noise to amplifiers. I used to have a background hiss in my head-fi system, which disappeared, after I plugged my amp in a separate power strip. I think this was a problem with a ground line in my house (I live in a big old building with a lot of apartments in it), so the noise of switching PSUs in other electronics was not leaking to the ground. I also had an experience with car stereo, where I used to have a noise from generator, which was solved by putting a capacitor after the generator output. Sorry, If my explanation sounds somewhat stupid :) I have more or less basic knowledge about electricity and electronics, but my English is not good enough.

Anyway, there are a lot of people in audiophile world, who believes that power lines could affect the sound quality. You have did a great job explaining "they don`t make good parts anymore" bias. It might be very interesting to read about "power cords matter" in future chapters.

P.S. Or maybe we could even see a Schiit power strip some day. I like your PYST cables idea (bought myself a USB recently). When we have an ultra-cheap Chinese cables from one side, and ultra-expensive silver-cryo-i-don`t know what else-cables from the other side, PYST looks very reasonable. PYST is guaranteed not to screw anything, but it does not try to fool customers with cryo-threatening, mono-crystalls and other pseudo-science.

When I first got my Jotunheim I had a nasty loud hum going on that was probably mitigated before by my previous amps (magni 2 / Vali 2) having wall warts. I took the Jotunheim to a socket on its own breaker with nothing else on it to confirm it was not the Jot itself.

After some reading on the interballs I ended up buying a Furman PST-8D power strip to replace the super overpriced Monster unit I had before, plugged everything into it (computer, monitors, speaker amp, dac, Jot, etc..) and the hum was gone. The Jot was now so quiet that I could max the volume pot with the music paused and it was dead silent.

Anyway, not sure if that answers your question but that is my experience with power conditioners.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #28,508 of 149,262
When I first got my Jotunheim I had a nasty loud hum going on that was probably mitigated before by my previous amps (magni 2 / Vali 2) having wall warts. I took the Jotunheim to a socket on its own breaker with nothing else on it to confirm it was not the Jot itself.

After some reading on the interballs I ended up buying a Furman PST-8D power strip to replace the super overpriced Monster unit I had before, plugged everything into it (computer, monitors, speaker amp, dac, Jot, etc..) and the hum was gone. The Jot was now so quiet that I could max the volume pot with the music paused and it was dead silent.

Anyway, not sure if that answers your question but that is my experience with power conditioners.
Thankfully, I don`t have any problems now. Just curious to hear about Jason`s opinion and/or experience. Some of previous chapters were very interesting from a tech side. I like to learn new things about how everything works.

Anyway, thank you for info. I would never expect Monster power strips could be bad at that price. Unfortunately, Furman don`t make their power strips for europlugs.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #28,509 of 149,262
Thankfully, I don`t have any problems now. Just curious to hear about Jason`s opinion and/or experience. Some of previous chapters were very interesting from a tech side. I like to learn new things about how everything works.

Anyway, thank you for info. I would never expect Monster power strips could be bad at that price. Unfortunately, Furman don`t make their power strips for europlugs.
Thankfully I bought any monster products when I worked at best buy at 5% above cost, for example a $150 power strip for $20, or a $120 hdmi for $10.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #28,510 of 149,262
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #28,512 of 149,262
Hi all,
Another head-fier suggest I ask my question here. I recently had a chance to visit the Schiitr and was totally blown away by the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok stack. I'd eventually like to acquire these, but there's no way I can get them both at once. I already have an excellent DAC though (Gungnir multibit), so I'm thinking that the Rag will probably contribute the most dramatic change. Only thing is the device is a few years old now and has a pretty glaring omission of a remote control and possibly a unit gain setting. I feel like there could be a new update to the Rag in the works, but Schiit is characteristically tight lipped about it. Does anyone have any information or rumors about a possible Ragnarok update in the near future? I'd hate to buy one only to see a new one come out shortly thereafter.

PS. Jason, if you're listening: please include a remote and a unity gain setting in the new Ragnarok (if one is in the works)!

I was and am in the same situation as you. I was using a Bimby and an Asgard 2 and wanted to upgrade my headphone amp for my HD800S. After much research I determined that the Ragnarok would be the best headphone amp. I figured even if I only used it as a headphone amp it would be worth it for my HD800S and perhaps some planars I may get in the future. Also the Ranarok has more inputs than most headphone amps so I can switch between LPs and Digital. I solved the remote control issue by having it next to my listening chair. I then decided to hook up an old pair of Paradigm Studio 100 V.2 to them by running 28' of Kimber speaker cable. The 28' speaker cables cost close to $400. And was it ever worth it! The Ragnarok trounces my NAD preamp and amp I was using in terms of tonal quality and still manages to drive these speakers as clean and loud as I can stand. So if your speakers are a good match in terms of power then the Ragnarok is truly an excellent integrated amp. To me the Ragnarok is a real pleasure to use. However as you can see something is missing:
upload_2018-1-21_10-39-53.png

Though the Bimby does sound great with the Ragnarok I am really looking forward to getting a Yggy and some nice balanced cables. I think the time to get a new Yggy has arrived.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #28,514 of 149,262
I was and am in the same situation as you. I was using a Bimby and an Asgard 2 and wanted to upgrade my headphone amp for my HD800S. After much research I determined that the Ragnarok would be the best headphone amp. I figured even if I only used it as a headphone amp it would be worth it for my HD800S and perhaps some planars I may get in the future. Also the Ranarok has more inputs than most headphone amps so I can switch between LPs and Digital. I solved the remote control issue by having it next to my listening chair. I then decided to hook up an old pair of Paradigm Studio 100 V.2 to them by running 28' of Kimber speaker cable. The 28' speaker cables cost close to $400. And was it ever worth it! The Ragnarok trounces my NAD preamp and amp I was using in terms of tonal quality and still manages to drive these speakers as clean and loud as I can stand. So if your speakers are a good match in terms of power then the Ragnarok is truly an excellent integrated amp. To me the Ragnarok is a real pleasure to use. However as you can see something is missing:

Though the Bimby does sound great with the Ragnarok I am really looking forward to getting a Yggy and some nice balanced cables. I think the time to get a new Yggy has arrived.

Love all the blue lights!

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back