Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 10, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #26,416 of 145,713
Thanks for the heads up -- totally misread that! $699 makes more sense just given my cursory research on turntables (I have zero interest in it myself so I know basically nothing about them). That does probably put it out of the range of what we will get for my nephew, though.
Hey, no problem. SOL is also going to be cartridge free. so it would have required buying a cartridge and mounting it.

It's great that your nephew is into LP's. He is not alone. Several of my dinosaur friends (in their 40's - 50's) have kids that that are mad about LP's. New music is being increasingly sold in record format that includes a free digital download.

Shoot me a PM. When SOL comes out, I will have an extra TT (new belt, decent cartridge with plenty of miles) that she who must be obeyed will want/demand to see gone. I'll donate it for shipping for your nephew. Enthusiasm for the majestic ceremony of album selection and play must be encouraged in the young.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #26,417 of 145,713
If SOL is $699 that puts it out of reach for the one person that I buy for directly. The one person that I can not stand to be around and the one person I think is not worthy of spending that much money on.

Me.

The most I have spent for a recent turntable is $500. My Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversary 'table. The reason is it will go to my children when I am dead. Other wise I tend to be a cheap toad where I am concerned. To be honest, the Pro-Ject does not sound any better or any worse than any other 'table I have. It just looks cool! The SOL will have to look beyond bitchin' for me to spend that kind of dosh on my self.

Of course I do realize that "winders the magnificent... the seer of frAudio seers...the prognosticator or proctological frAudio, the most sinister manlet to crawl the face of the Earf...Thinks even less of me. Okay. No Christmas card for winders.

I am humbled by the munificence of his holiness.

SOL might not be in your future, but it is cool cool cool. With adjustable and lockable VTA and a tonearm that could be changed out faster than an Indy pit crew can swap tires, you could be listening to your 180 gram re-release of Blood on the Tracks one minute and then switch to a 3 mil sapphire for a jazz 78. I have to google the Sgt. Peppers table.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #26,418 of 145,713
My two cents. I had an issue with my Valhalla 2 several weeks back (about six weeks). I dropped a message to both Schiit US and Mark at Electromod to ask if the hum was normal (I bought it through the UK site). I never got a reply from Schiit US, but Mark replied quickly and solved the problem (I send it in for repairs and he didn't give up until the problem was reproduced/diagnosed/fixed). So my Valhalla 2 is working perfectly again. And I am still a very happy customer.

Nov 10, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #26,419 of 145,713
I don't want to have (and don't want to sink the $$$ into) 2 systems. So I use an Emotiva XMC-1 which does 7.2 and has a reference stereo mode which is 2 channel only with no modifications to the signal.

Can the XMC-1 drive passive speakers, or does it require a power amp for speakers?

As for the helpdesk, I think it's good news. The only time I've needed to contact Schiit support, my issue was promptly solved. But you can read a lot of grumblings about Schiit's support on other discussion forums.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #26,421 of 145,713
If SOL is $699 that puts it out of reach for the one person that I buy for directly. The one person that I can not stand to be around and the one person I think is not worthy of spending that much money on.

Me.

The most I have spent for a recent turntable is $500. My Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversary 'table. The reason is it will go to my children when I am dead. Other wise I tend to be a cheap toad where I am concerned. To be honest, the Pro-Ject does not sound any better or any worse than any other 'table I have. It just looks cool! The SOL will have to look beyond bitchin' for me to spend that kind of dosh on my self.

Of course I do realize that "winders the magnificent... the seer of frAudio seers...the prognosticator or proctological frAudio, the most sinister manlet to crawl the face of the Earf...Thinks even less of me. Okay. No Christmas card for winders.

I am humbled by the munificence of his holiness.

I am just amazed that we get read all of these reasons why you are not going to buy Schiit products. You need to buy just one just so you can be a member of the club. Then I can't bitch at you for posting here! Well, I can because there are plenty of other reasons...but at least one logical reason would be removed. Buy a Sys...it has no power switch!

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #26,422 of 145,713
It's an Alan Lomax field recording of traditional Scots songs. And bagpipes. Scots like to sing when they get drunk (I used to live across from a Legion, and learned the words to the first verse of Flower of Scotland by hearing drunken vets singing it at closing time as they staggered home up the lane - they were out of earshot by the time the second verse rolled around). These are songs you might hear later in the evening at small country pubs (not so much in the big cities). And bagpipes. Although it's not the reason I bought the disc, you might consider that the sound has audiophile credentials, since the recordings are done very simply in real spaces, and you can "hear" the space in the recording as the vocals reflect off walls, if that's your thing. And bagpipes. If you're of a certain age and background, these songs might bring a tear to your eye. For the rest of humanity, they're the sort of thing you might use to extract confessions from miscreants. And bagpipes. Interestingly enough, listening to the songs you can hear echoes of Inuit throat singing, First Nations chants, and Appalachian folk music. I don't know if they tap into some thread of universal human music, or if these kinds of songs have spread their influence to other parts of the world over the centuries, but I find that kind of interesting. And bagpipes.

If I thought people would be examining the pic that closely, I would have taken a better version, not a fuzzy handheld with bad lighting. Thanks for your attention!
Thanks for taking the time to reply! Very insightful description indeed. I was particularly interested in knowing whether that was a fine recording, as to audio fidelity. What you said confirms what I read elsewhere about it.
Sorry for examining your pic, it all just started out of curiosity: for some reason, that title got my attention... :slight_smile:
Have a nice day!

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #26,424 of 145,713
... I've ripped parts of my collection three times now. Once in mp3, once in lossless, and once again after the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2012. ...

Unless you are suffering from an internet connection with data caps, may I ever so politely suggest one of the cloud-based backup product/services (I'm using CrashPlan which is moving away from personal products, but Carbonite, Backblaze, Mozy, etc. ... numerous products exist). Most that I have looked at are less complicated to set up than ripping and player software. There is usually some cost involved to get the kind of capacity you want for a large lossless music collection, but several of the services have sale pricing going on this time of year and/or offer discounts for full year payment.

I find the cost reasonable for protection against the upcoming Great Hard Drive Crash of 2018, or the NAS Killing Lightening Near-Miss of 2020, or whatever. My previous backups (external USB drives, rotated to a friend's house to have an off-site copy) lagged my ripping by large, erratic amounts of time.

FWIW,
Alan

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #26,425 of 145,713
$699 for a high-end turntable would be incredibly inexpensive. Compare that to the price of products from VPI. The photos of Sol looks similar to their Prime product, which retails for $4K.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #26,426 of 145,713
$699 for a high-end turntable would be incredibly inexpensive. Compare that to the price of products from VPI. The photos of Sol looks similar to their Prime product, which retails for $4K.

Just speaking for myself -- I'm sure what you're saying is true, but I am definitely not in the market for a high-end turntable. For his first turntable, I think my nephew would be just thrilled to have a decent (not completely crappy) turntable.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #26,427 of 145,713
Just speaking for myself -- I'm sure what you're saying is true, but I am definitely not in the market for a high-end turntable. For his first turntable, I think my nephew would be just thrilled to have a decent (not completely crappy) turntable.
For a first turntable look at something like a Music Hall 2.2 or a Pro-Ject Essential. Comes with a decent cartridge for less than $300.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #26,428 of 145,713
I am just amazed that we get read all of these reasons why you are not going to buy Schiit products. You need to buy just one just so you can be a member of the club. Then I can't bitch at you for posting here! Well, I can because there are plenty of other reasons...but at least one logical reason would be removed. Buy a Sys...it has no power switch!
Bitching just because you can?
Isn't that trolling too?
It does confirm what we think about your divine infallibility complex.
Leave other people be.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #26,429 of 145,713

I'm quite happy with my entry level Audio Technica turntable that was around 100 bucks or so.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #26,430 of 145,713
A young colleague of mine, when discovering the Jotunheim and Lyr 2 on my desk, asked what that is. I said, "Headphone amplifiers!"
"Are they new? They look so old!", he exclaimed. It turns out it's the brushed metal look that makes them look old to him.
I was surprised - I have always absolutely loved the look of brushed metal. I guess that makes me old, too? To me it looks refined and rugged, it has an elegant simplicity and maturity to it that I appreciate. Functional, yet attractive. Timeless, in my mind.
I love that Schiit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back