Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 7, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #24,121 of 148,985
Every try transformers? When I had an MM only stage, I found them to work well and sound great.

That's not the issue. The Mani has a MC input but its input impedance is a fixed 47 ohms. That's ok for MC cartridges with a 5 ohm impedance but there aren't many of those around. Most MC phono stages offer a variety of input impedances.

JC

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #24,122 of 148,985
I finally joined you Schiit heads yesterday by ordering the Jotunheim. Looking forward to my first headphone amp and will use the other aspect to power an amp and desktop speakers.

I've learned a lot by following this thread and reading these forums. Thanks!

Will be listening with HD650's, ATH-M50, AKG K240(originals) and a couple of Bose noise cancelling headphones that I wear when riding my lawn mower.
Welcome to the Schiit club.
Enjoy your time here on the Schiiter thread, and of course your music.
It will be sounding much better!

Cheers,
RCB

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #24,125 of 148,985
Is anyone else getting a slight transformer hum from their Vidar? I can hear it when I place my ear next to the top of the amp, and through the speakers. I am sure it is not a grounding issue. I checked for a ground loop, and none of my other amps do it. It does not change with the volume, just a slight hum that can be heard 12 inches from the speakers (both channels).

http://www.essentialaudiotools.com/noiseeater.html this one worked for me. And they do a euroversion that you can actually buy in Europe. Yeay for essantialaudiotools!

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #24,126 of 148,985
I finally joined you Schiit heads yesterday by ordering the Jotunheim. Looking forward to my first headphone amp and will use the other aspect to power an amp and desktop speakers.

I've learned a lot by following this thread and reading these forums. Thanks!

Will be listening with HD650's, ATH-M50, AKG K240(originals) and a couple of Bose noise canceling headphones that I wear when riding my lawn mower.

How are you on planning on mounting the Jotunheim on the lawn mower? Post some photos :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #24,127 of 148,985
Texting with my cousin last night, telling him about Eitr, his response sums it up very nicely:

BwmJRvim.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #24,132 of 148,985
That's not the issue. The Mani has a MC input but its input impedance is a fixed 47 ohms. That's ok for MC cartridges with a 5 ohm impedance but there aren't many of those around. Most MC phono stages offer a variety of input impedances.

JC
If you want to lower it, adding a couple of resistors is pretty easy.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #24,133 of 148,985
Hey everyone...

Long time Lurker, First time Poster... I have searched HeadFi and the Internet, but I cannot find any direct comparisons. I am very close to upgrading the amplification section of my stereo, and am wondering whether to go with a Ragnarok, Saga/Vidar, or Vidar/Freya/Vidar. Current system is as follows:
  • Roon --> Raspberry Pi 2 w/HifiBerry Pro Hat --> Yggsadril --> Linn Majik Integrated Amplifier (the 1990's one) --> Avalon Symbol (Skinny Pencil looking things) Loudspeakers, Martin Logan Depth Subwoofer,
  • Magni 2 Uber --> . HD650 headphones
I absolutely love the sound of my Yggsadril. It reminds me of my Classe CDP 1.5 CD Player before the transport bit the dust. Looking back at the specs for that unit, it had Burr Brown multibit DAC chips. Coincidence? Here are some things to consider or that I am trying to consider:
  • Remote Control would be nice, but I was thinking of using the Ragnarok Volume control for rough setting, and then using digital volume control via Roon to fine tune while seated. Good/Bad thoughts?
  • I love the soundfield that the Avalons create, but may be moving to Magnapans some time in the future if they appear to be a good enough upgrade. I figure for that, I would want 2 Vidars.
  • Is there really a benefit to going balanced throughout? Or would the Saga and a single Vidar be better?
I listen to everything... Jazz, Rock, Heavy Metal, Classical, Bluegrass, PHC, etc. and vale "musicality & Emotional Delivery" whatever the hell that means. I would love the simplicity of thee Yggy and Rag, but if I am severly limiting myself, I would love to know.

Please feel free to mock me for my attempt to boil the ocean via the Internet. I will take any thoughts you might have :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #24,134 of 148,985
If you want to lower it, adding a couple of resistors is pretty easy.

Again, that's not the issue. Given that the most common MC cartridge impedance is 10 ohms it wants to see a load of 100 ohms. The Mani just isn't configured to provide this loading.

JC

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #24,135 of 148,985
Hey everyone...

Long time Lurker, First time Poster... I have searched HeadFi and the Internet, but I cannot find any direct comparisons. I am very close to upgrading the amplification section of my stereo, and am wondering whether to go with a Ragnarok, Saga/Vidar, or Vidar/Freya/Vidar. Current system is as follows:
  • Roon --> Raspberry Pi 2 w/HifiBerry Pro Hat --> Yggsadril --> Linn Majik Integrated Amplifier (the 1990's one) --> Avalon Symbol (Skinny Pencil looking things) Loudspeakers, Martin Logan Depth Subwoofer,
  • Magni 2 Uber --> . HD650 headphones
I absolutely love the sound of my Yggsadril. It reminds me of my Classe CDP 1.5 CD Player before the transport bit the dust. Looking back at the specs for that unit, it had Burr Brown multibit DAC chips. Coincidence? Here are some things to consider or that I am trying to consider:
  • Remote Control would be nice, but I was thinking of using the Ragnarok Volume control for rough setting, and then using digital volume control via Roon to fine tune while seated. Good/Bad thoughts?
  • I love the soundfield that the Avalons create, but may be moving to Magnapans some time in the future if they appear to be a good enough upgrade. I figure for that, I would want 2 Vidars.
  • Is there really a benefit to going balanced throughout? Or would the Saga and a single Vidar be better?
I listen to everything... Jazz, Rock, Heavy Metal, Classical, Bluegrass, PHC, etc. and vale "musicality & Emotional Delivery" whatever the hell that means. I would love the simplicity of thee Yggy and Rag, but if I am severly limiting myself, I would love to know.

Please feel free to mock me for my attempt to boil the ocean via the Internet. I will take any thoughts you might have :)
No mocking from this end. Looking at the three setups you're considering and knowing my own setup (Roon-MicroRendu-Gumby-MJ2-a single Vidar->Emotiva Airmotiv T2) I'd add the Freda and a single Vidar, then another Vidar if necessary or desired. Balanced has some sonic differences over single ended, although I'll not speculate as to why or whether its worth it. Certainly with the Vggsadril you can take advantage of all that the Freya offers and deliver it all to Vidar for ample and, I'd assume, much better sound quality than your current integrated amp. I never missed a remote until recently when I upgraded my speakers and added the Vidar. A remote would be very, very nice. I've not tried using Roon's digital gain; my bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back