Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #23,626 of 148,512
There were some challenges getting the setup correct the first time (audio playthru, bit rates matching). After that, it was a breeze.
And the resulting rips sound amazing.
Still playing with it though, only ripped one album so far. Many more planned.

I found myself ripping the same track half-dozen times to get the setting correct.
Play with it and have fun.

Dave
I have tried about a dozen times to get a recording done but I keep getting diginoize, a sound like someone is fast forwarding through a CD...I am
using a MAC running the current O/S, and Audacity....any help would be appreciated.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #23,628 of 148,512
My first audio purchase was a Realistic 10W receiver with the little 4” 2-way aluminum speakers they sold with them. That was a portal into a whole new world......

And I bought a cassette deck. One of the first with LED meters. So advanced. Or so I thought.

Wow! I had one of those.... From memory the "receiver" was a Realistic STA-10. It had an EQ circuit for the speakers.... I know the speakers as I still have two pairs - Minimus 7. Loved them, still do.
If I could get an STA-10 in good condition (working) I'd buy one, just because :)

I also played around with 2 x Minimus 7's stacked vertically on each side, tweeter to tweeter (kind of like a d'appolito arrangement), in series, so a 16 ohm load, with a high-pass cap to knock back the sub 50hz signal. Matched them to the first(?) Yamaha "active servo" subwoofer the YST-SW100, which I also still have. Loved it!

Then I bought some secondhand Tannoy HDP385, 15" dual concentrics.... :)

... Oh and I had a Toshiba Cassette Deck with LEDs too.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #23,630 of 148,512
Aug 17, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #23,631 of 148,512
Audiophile Confession:

I like the sound of tape!

Best sound reproduction I have ever heard is from an Ampex ATR 100 1/4" real to real 1/2 track that was playing back what it had recorded! Our tech had the magic hands and the touch for aligning the heads. It was amazing and have not heard anything better in the last 30 years.

Cassette tapes recording local bands (rock and woodwind/brass) with good "metal" tapes and Dolby noise reduction was good. I even liked the sound of a freshly recorded new LP's onto cassettes and played back in my car. Never missed the turntable in the car =). Re recorded them when the tapes wore ou
t.

I like tape too. One of the best sound improvements I experienced was when I purchased a sony vhs recorder and used it for music recording and playback. Convenient: long playback time. Inconvenient: how to skip a song :)

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #23,632 of 148,512
That would be a question for Jason.

@Jason Stoddard most likely won't comment on if a black Eitr is in the pipeline. I can probably only hope they get a bad batch of silver Eitr casings that need the black cover-up treatment :frowning2: Wallet is ready.

Anyone know where/who does the casings for Schiit? I need to go sabotage a bunch of Yiggy or Eitr silver cases...

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #23,635 of 148,512
Wow! I had one of those.... From memory the "receiver" was a Realistic STA-10. It had an EQ circuit for the speakers.... I know the speakers as I still have two pairs - Minimus 7. Loved them, still do.

I still have my Minimus 7s also, though currently not being used. I'm concerned the foam surrounds are getting old. My roommate and I ran them with an M&K sub.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #23,636 of 148,512
And Freya...

OK. I'll add Freya and Gumby to my list... Booking my flight to Cali soon from the Least Coast. Any directions from LAX on how to get to the Manufacturer of Unfortunate Silver Cases? I suppose a few scratches from my lucky nickel would do the trick to have them conveniently sent to the Manufacturer of Black Case Resurrection?

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #23,637 of 148,512
I think this is a funny topic. I have all silver Schiit gear, except the Vidar (which I screwed up the order, wanted silver).

I really like the silver against the almost black cabinet that my gear sits in. The contrast really makes the Schiit stand out, which I love.

I guess black is just the standard, and everyone is used to things in the electronics world being black.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #23,638 of 148,512
I guess black is just the standard, and everyone is used to things in the electronics world being black.

I don't know or care what is standard. I want black Gumby to match my black Feliks Audio Euforia OTL. It's a personal preference kind of thing. But my patience may run out and I'll cave for a silver Gumby. Worst things in life can happen, but I'm not sure what that would be :jecklinsmile:

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #23,639 of 148,512
I don't know or care what is standard. I want black Gumby to match my black Feliks Audio Euforia OTL. It's a personal preference kind of thing. But my patience may run out and I'll cave for a silver Gumby. Worst things in life can happen, but I'm not sure what that would be :jecklinsmile:

I understand. I cannot wait for the Xbox One X, simply because it is a very dark gray/black, so I can move the White Xbox One S to the bedroom. Silver and black is fine for me, but the white Xbox really sticks out and I don't like it. It is all personal preference.

I would keep checking the for sale section here. A few months back I saw a black Gumby up for sale. You could also look for a black Gungnir and then add the multibit card. Might be a little more expensive, but you'd get your desired black Gumby. Good luck, I hope you can acquire one sooner rather than later.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #23,640 of 148,512
Here ya go
9RRkCprX59-8.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back