Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #23,611 of 148,977
Audiophile confessions - When I was a kid my dad had a high end pioneer system in the living room with the big 3 way 12" speakers, Spec-1 Preamp / Spec-2 Amp / cassette / cd player / turntable all separates. That system eventually became mine minus the cassette deck and turntable in 2004

In my ignorance I sold the spec1/spec2 system (minus the speakers).

I wish I had kept the Pioneer separates.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #23,612 of 148,977
[/QUOTE]= claudeW...What we Shiiters need is a good CD transport for your DACs and amps. I would be first in line. ...[/QUOTE]

Yep! And I'll be second in line for a silver disc spinner by Schiit if it happens.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #23,613 of 148,977
And…when it came time to start paying attention to the home system (about the time I started building speakers), CD was beginning to become affordable. So the first disk-spinner that I actually spent money on was a Mitsubishi CD player that weighed like 24 lbs and was on sale for $399 at Rogersound Labs.

Wow, Rogersound Labs! What a blast from the past, and kind of a marker of a Southern Californian audiophile. When I started college, I went to an RSL store and bought a cheap Sony receiver, a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers, and splurged on a mid-line Sony ES CD player. One speaker got a tweeter replacement as a result of being played too loudly at a party, and the Sony receiver finally died a few years ago, but that system served me well for years. My audiophile confession? I also bought some cheap stranded Monster speaker cable that came in the clear jacketing with that system, and used the cheap RCA cables that came with the receiver for most of its life.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #23,614 of 148,977
IMG_20170816_152354115~2.jpg

I miss quadraphonic, Sony Elcasets, and the Radio Shack flyer coming in the mail each month with the "flyerside chat"!

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #23,615 of 148,977
I was hugely disappointed by Modi 1 & Vali 1 but Mimby has certainly made me see the Schiit huh. Now eagerly awaiting a Gen5 version of Mimby pretty please
sub42.gif

I did my Gen 5 USB upgrade for Bimby myself. The Gen 5 card is crammed with parts, and is so much larger than the Gen 2 card that it is a non-rectangular shape that fits around various parts that are adjacent to the USB card. In other words, all those USB parts for Gen 5 barely fit into the Bimby case. That is why there is no new version of Mimby with new USB so far. Perhaps they will use some of the Gen 5 improvements inside a Modi 3 (and then they could use the missing "Gen 4" moniker, because it would not have the full Gen 5 upgrade).

So, if you get Eitr, you probably will get a better USB card than they will ever be able to fit inside a Modi.

(But who knows - I said the same thing about multibit...)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #23,616 of 148,977
I had these Roger Sound Lab speakers they were ridiculously good for the $$ (not my picture). (Anyone ever visit "Slipped Disc Records" - run by Kevin, not far from RSL?)

510357-rsl_magnificents.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #23,620 of 148,977
Confession: I bought cassettes again a few weeks ago. I have my old family stereo from 1982 hooked up to my Modi/Magni2U stack to run to some repurposed surround speakers as the sound system for my computer.

The stereo has a dual tape deck that still works perfectly. I have some tapes left, but the local record shop has a few shelves of tapes for a buck or two each and it's been loads of fun getting into those again.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #23,622 of 148,977
My Audiophile Confession:
As a junior in high school in 1978 I bought a pair of Koss K-6 headphones to go along with my Pacific Stereo Quadraflex receiver and thought they sounded better than anything I had ever heard. I know it's in my head but I still think they produced the most amazing sound ever.
Over the years as I buy equipment I'm chasing that sound. Schiit is helping me get closer to it.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #23,624 of 148,977
Audiophile Confession:

I like the sound of tape!

Best sound reproduction I have ever heard is from an Ampex ATR 100 1/4" real to real 1/2 track that was playing back what it had recorded! Our tech had the magic hands and the touch for aligning the heads. It was amazing and have not heard anything better in the last 30 years.

Cassette tapes recording local bands (rock and woodwind/brass) with good "metal" tapes and Dolby noise reduction was good. I even liked the sound of a freshly recorded new LP's onto cassettes and played back in my car. Never missed the turntable in the car =). Re recorded them when the tapes wore out.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #23,625 of 148,977
I still buy cassettes. Last batch came from a Teen Challenge store. .10 cents a cassette. Like a super cheap rental. Have a 3 head Nakamichi and 3 head Sony ES cassette.

Helped a friend do a live recording once with 2 AKG ribbon mikes and an Otari reel to reel. Haven't heard anything sound more alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back