Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #23,431 of 145,584
The HP-25 came out in early 1975...
I remember, senior year of high school. I bought a new Texas Instruments SR-50 and my best friend bought an HP-25. Almost half of our AP Physics class has Rockwell calculators. Talk about nerdy arguments about which was better. I also had a programmable Sinclair pocket calculator that ran off of a 9 volt battery, and had a 50 page book of commands, but no persistent memory, so every time you turned it off you lost your program. The manual talked about a "tape strip reader" and small magnetic strips to store your programs, but no one I knew ever saw one or were able to get one.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #23,433 of 145,584
It did not need an 'equals' button because it utilized reverse Polish notation in the numerical/functional entries.[This is NOT a joke--look up RPN].

Right...RPN. Couldn't remember the term when I wrote the post.
Agree about the HP vs. TI factions. The classes were split between RPN and the parentheses/equals sign on the Texas Instruments.
Some time later, HP came out with the 25C that didn't clear the memory when power was shut off.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #23,434 of 145,584
On my last count I had 17 colanders.
I like the ones with round holes more than those with the square holes.
However the latter ones look better on ones head.
Constanza wants to wear a colander too.

I think you should have an avatar with you both wearing colanders.
That would be a keeper!

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #23,436 of 145,584
The USB Gen 5 for Bifrost just arrived. It should be the same process as described with USB Gen 2 in these pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/8JEGc

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #23,437 of 145,584
The HP-25 came out in early 1975...

Okay, you've made me go to wikipedia:

"HP-35, the world's first scientific pocket calculator was introduced in 1972 by Hewlett-Packard. It used Reverse Polish notation and an LED display."

So it was 35 not 25.

The guy who had one (I remember his name, but won't repeat it here) told the story of waiting to get one on the first day, which was earlier than the September 1972 date of when he showed it to us. I assumed it was not long before, but evidently it was some months previous. I remember thinking that the price was an enormous amount of money and wikipedia states "Introduced at $395 (equivalent to $2,262 in 2016)"

HP_35_Calculator.jpg

HP-35

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #23,438 of 145,584
Aug 10, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #23,440 of 145,584
My hardware install was successful. The tricky aspect is holding various parts while you unscrew or screw them (mentioned once in the Gen 2 install linked above). Schiit clearly has procedures (which they won't tell us about because legally "there are no user serviceable parts inside) - or else they have special assembly jigs that hold the hardware while they work on it. Of course, make sure to use proper static grounding procedure (such as the cord in the photo in the link).

The famous LED alignment issue is a nonissue to me since I cover the LEDs due to use in a mostly darkened living room at times.

My Home Theater PC is still VIsta (since I only use Jriver Media Center and Firefox), and I am still working on getting the Schiit Vista drivers to recognize the Gen5... but I tested the upgraded Bifrost on a Win7 laptop and it works fine, so it is not a hardware issue.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #23,441 of 145,584
Okay, you've made me go to wikipedia:

"HP-35, the world's first scientific pocket calculator was introduced in 1972 by Hewlett-Packard. It used Reverse Polish notation and an LED display."

So it was 35 not 25.

The guy who had one (I remember his name, but won't repeat it here) told the story of waiting to get one on the first day, which was earlier than the September 1972 date of when he showed it to us. I assumed it was not long before, but evidently it was some months previous. I remember thinking that the price was an enormous amount of money and wikipedia states "Introduced at $395 (equivalent to $2,262 in 2016)"

HP_35_Calculator.jpg

HP-35
At least the switch is on the front!:wink:

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #23,442 of 145,584
Sadly, my HP-25 died, the battery was tired and they don't make them any more.
So, switched to the HP-12C and it's my only remaining calculator to this day.
The 25 was scientific. The 12C is financial. At some point in time, we all switch to financials.
Anyway, the 12C still uses RPN. The best calculator idea ever!

HP-12C Calculator.jpg

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #23,443 of 145,584
Well, I just picked up a Gungnir MB and have it plugged in and warming up for a comparison session on Monday with my Bifrost MB.

I'm hoping I can distinguish a noticable difference to justify the expense.

Naturally I'll be comparing the two SE, but I'll certainly play with the balanced to my Jot and Liquid Carbon. Hopefully this DAC can help me separate the two amps. The Jot, for it's price, is stunning by comparison. It easily holds it's own to the LC single-ended, and I'm thinking it'll be even better balanced...YMMV, to my ears, blah, blah, blah...

Should be fun!

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #23,444 of 145,584
Man, this talk about vintage calculators is absolutely riveting and totally belongs in a thread about audio equipment and product development of Schiit. I wish it went on for several more pages here and not in an off-topic thread somewhere else on the forum.

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #23,445 of 145,584
[Mod Hat On]

Gents - getting a couple of complaints about the O/T conversations taking over the thread. Just a thought - but if a group of you do want to chat (and that is perfectly OK with us), maybe consider starting a topic in the Members Lounge? Just might make it a little better for those who don't want to hear about vintage PCs and calculators ......

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back