Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #23,326 of 148,507
re: burn in. That concept has nothing to do with the suggestion to leave DACs - especially multibit DACs- on. It has to do with thermal stability and component thermal equilibrium. This is most definitely NOT a myth.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #23,327 of 148,507
After a SNAFU with Fedex I finally received my Vidar today!

I've had it up and running for almost 2 hours now in 4 ohm mono on my center channel (90dB sensitivity) at levels between 85 and 95dB at seating position (I've been out of the room for most of it) which is a little over 13 feet away and He's still humming along. Top panel temp is currently 142 F at the Schiit emblem, and the hottest part of the heat sink on the side is 161 F at the rear.

Quite impressed so far!

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #23,328 of 148,507
Someone wrote: "If I were in California". lol, someone who has never been to California. :)

I live closer to the Schiittr than 90% of Californians (and am qualified for the job, and might even do it just for the fun of it) - but - a 5 hour round trip commute is just too long.

The Schiittr is as much as a 24 hour round trip for some Californians.

Not only the world's 6th biggest economy, but probably bigger than the majority of countries.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #23,329 of 148,507
The problem in this - and many audiophile vs skeptic discussions - is you are missing the concept of "listening skill". Yeah, "I don't hear anything therefore nobody does".

Yeah, I can't run a 4 minute mile or a 10 second 100 yards, so no one can. (Usain Bolt is just clever photoshop, and same for the moon landing.)

Critical listening is a skill acquired with hours of practice - ask any recording engineer or symphony concert violinist.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #23,330 of 148,507
Critical listening is a skill acquired with hours of practice - ask any recording engineer.

I review classical concerts in a freelance basis for the local broadsheet and I've been keen on hifi for some 4 decades. That comment is so true, but I feel that often the audiophiles who I have over to listen to music have spent many hours practicing some different skills from those that trained musicians, music lovers and recording engineers have developed over the years.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #23,331 of 148,507
Just added a gen5 card self installed into the cart.
Was shocked that gen5 usb card's shipping is much more expensive than an eitr's. ($80 vs $30)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #23,333 of 148,507
My shipping cost was $10.05 for the self install board.

JJ

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #23,334 of 148,507
You miss my point. The audiophile community is heavily dismissive about DBT

No, I don't think so. If you're not reading me right -- I know some don't --, you'd believe I am against DBT. I am not. But not the DBT as advocated by the "objectivist" community, especially by those who quite clearly don't understand the methodology and have no real-life familiarity* with this tool. Unfortunately DBT isn't as universal as ardent proponents seem to believe, and depending on the setting it can tell you a whole lot less than what we'd like to know***. I'm all for using DBT -- for those who have an interest in it -- as long as its limitations are understood and acknowledged upfront. But shoving it down the throat of people who like that DAC over that other DAC, or that cereal over that other cereal, this car of this other car, or green over violet, is not something I find sane or useful.

* And by 'familiarity' I mean not those loud "just DBT it!!" criers on the forums which more often than not seem to be of the "do as I say, not do as I do" persuasion; but those who have had to set-up double blind settings in some sort of a professional capacity, where they had to worry about things like sample size, experimental design, control groups, factors to control for**, baseline performance, observer drift when discussing humans as measurement tools, research goals, questions of interest, limits of the design, embedded assumptions, and more generally talking to a statistician, etc.
** And no, factors to control for don't start at nor end at level-matching.
*** Yes, it can be used to prove identification (which can be interpreted as 'difference' -- though proving 'no diff', in an experimental setting, is a whole lot more complicated than that), but it won't -- easily -- certify subjective perceptions. So e.g. DBT can't be easily used to prove that the soundstage is large, small, or pear-shaped; DBT can't really help you with that unless you can come up with an intelligent setting, and it can definitely not help you if it's self-administered.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #23,335 of 148,507
Probably to the self install here. Been building working on electronics since the 286 days. Would love to hear how it goes for others.

(Especially how it affects PRAT of the unit :) )

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #23,336 of 148,507
Probably to the self install here. Been building working on electronics since the 286 days. Would love to hear how it goes for others.

I had to laugh out loud, not at you, but how I took this.
I thought you were ESL and that was your way of saying you'd been working on electronics for less than 10 months, not very impressive I thought, then the penny dropped :flushed:

:D

So you aren't too familiar with the 8080 then?

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #23,337 of 148,507
I had to laugh out loud, not at you, but how I took this.
I thought you were ESL and that was your way of saying you'd been working on electronics for less than 10 months, not very impressive I thought, then the penny dropped :flushed:

:D

So you aren't too familiar with the 8080 then?
How about the 6502 family?

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #23,340 of 148,507
My 30MB drive failed on my 286. So I figured out how to replace it with a SCSI 85MB drive, upgraded the RAM to 1k and changed my EGA (16 Color) to VGA.

Electrical Engineer at my college was like- "You will never fill up a 85 MB Drive"

I remember when I was a teenager a saleswoman lecturing my parents that the 386sx I wanted was "absolutely ridiculous" because "noone would ever use that kind of power".

That went down in my book as one of the dumbest things ever said to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back