Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #22,952 of 145,769
Would this ADC allow me to use a digital input on my receiver instead of a phono input? Is so, I may have found my first piece of Schiit.

Hi ORT,

Nobody seems to have asked the obvious question ... What model receiver are you using and what digital input does it have?

Jil is a USB-output ADC. If you receiver has an S/PDIF digital input, I don't believe you are interconnecting Jil and your receiver without an additional active component.

Even if your receiver has a USB digital input, I'll speculate that it is likely to have the "B" style receptacle, just like the USB connection on Jil. To interconnect you'll need a cable that you probably won't find on the rack at your local office supply store.

If you can physically interconnect them, you reach the question of whether one USB endpoint device can directly source data to another USB endpoint device. Someone with knowledge of how the USB audio protocol works will have to weigh in, but I'm doubtful.

Cheers,
Alan

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #22,953 of 145,769
It was once considered a fine idea...
highway-hi-fi.jpg

I remember those, worked well as many of the autos of the day had suspensions that made them float like boats on water absorbing most of the vibrations.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #22,957 of 145,769
Jul 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #22,959 of 145,769
So my question returns to this - Will the analog out put from a 'table with a built in preamp, sent to the analog input of the Jil and then spat out in digital format and sent to the digital input of my receiver produce music by the receivers DAC?
I presume you currently plug in your turntable (with built-in preamp) directly into an analog input of your receiver. Why would you want to add digital encode and decode into the path? It can only degrade the input signal.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #22,960 of 145,769
Yes. The only reason to get an ADC is because I want one to play my vinyl through a digital in put. I do not need one. I use the phono in put for my Pro-Ject and TN-300 'tables. I have never even thought twice about converting an album to digital for my computers but that does not mean it is not worth it for many folks. In fact, many of the records I buy now include a digital down load for your computer and portable DAP.

Thank you for your help!

But... why? Why convert A to D then back to A? Less is more especially when it comes to audio, no?

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #22,962 of 145,769
I presume you currently plug in your turntable (with built-in preamp) directly into an analog input of your receiver. Why would you want to add digital encode and decode into the path? It can only degrade the input signal.

The built in pre-amps can be switch on or off. When I use my Sony with 2 phono in puts, I turn off the on board pre-amp. I do not know if the signal will be provably degraded or not until I purchase and install the necessary equipment.

But you could be right. Given that a great many here have more than a few pieces of Schiit running in series, I have a feeling I should be fine. But again, you could be right.

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #22,963 of 145,769
But... why? Why convert A to D then back to A? Less is more especially when it comes to audio, no?

It is simply a matter of convenience in being able to use a digital in on my receivers for what starts out as an analog source. Why do recording studios convert analog in the form of human voices and instruments in to digital and then back in to an analog out put so they we can hear the music and not the 0s and 1s (which we can not hear). A matter of convenience and because digital was easier to handle than vinyl.

Thank you for asking!

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #22,964 of 145,769
...Why do recording studios convert analog in the form of human voices and instruments in to digital ...

So they can use a Digtal Audio Workstation; non-destructive editing and mastering, multiple exact replicas of passages etc. much easier than copying, cutting and splicing magnetic tape; and most output is used as digital, CDs, downloads, streaming etc. (e.g. DAB),

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #22,965 of 145,769
@OldRoadToad, I'm still confused about what you're trying to accomplish. The impression I got is that your receiver doesn't have enough analog inputs to accommodate all of your turntables at the same time, so you want to also utilize some of its digital inputs.

Does that summarize your intentions? The simple solution is to run your turntables to a simple switchbox, and the output of the switchbox connects to the receiver's analog input. The negative is that you can't select just from the receiver (you also have to use the switchbox), and most switchboxes are industrial ugly. However, here's one that actually looks decent: http://www.mfspdesigns.com/index.php/en/all-products/switch-box/switch-box-rca-4in-1out-detail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back