Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #22,921 of 145,682
Three of my 'tables have that built in.

Then they have phono preamps built in. Cool. I've never seen a good turntable with a built-in preamp but good to know they exist. What are the make/models?

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #22,922 of 145,682
Exactly. It would require a phono preamp in front of it (Schiit sells one). But if you did that, why not connect directly to your receiver's analog input instead of converting to digital first?

And you keep bringing up styling and aesthetics. That is simply not Schiit's focus (read all the chapters), and you have lots of options elsewhere.

Yes, styling and aesthetics are not their primary focus but should be a part of the plan. I am not saying their stuff is with out merit and as such more assthetic than aesthetic, but I have my druthers and have no problem stating them with alarming frequency.

It will take a while but I suppose I could just start saving for an Accuphase :
accuphase_e-305_integrated_stereo_amplifier.jpg

I doubt the VU Meters interfere with the music but some here assert such things do exactly that. I like Schitt but want more visual appeal. As I have said in the past, VU Meters and the like are just icing on the cake but the reality of it is this - there is nothing wrong with plain cake. I can take it or leave it. Right now, I am leaving it.

But if the Jil does what I want I will with out a doubt be ordering one.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #22,923 of 145,682
I hoped that being converted to digital the DAC in the receiver would be able to convert it to analog and I could use more than one turntable with out the hassle of a separate phono preamp.
I was looking at buying a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Recordmaster Hi-Res player for the same reason.

Maybe it would be easier to get a phono preamp like a Mani and feed a line level input, rather than getting a Jil and feeding a digital input, since that would still require a phono stage anyway? I would expect you have an extra line level input. Don't see how a phono preamp is more hassle than a a/d converter.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #22,924 of 145,682
Then they have phono preamps built in. Cool. I've never seen a good turntable with a built-in preamp but good to know they exist. What are the make/models?

Teac TN-300 and Denon DP-300F and of course, my Crosley Keepsake Deluxe! They work great for me. The music put forth equals the sound I get from my Pro-Ject Sgt. Peppers 50th 'table (no built in premp). I honestly get my ears tested every two or three years and can still hear pretty much as well as I did decades ago. Whether or not any of the players I mentioned will satisfy you remains to be seen. Or heard. :ksc75smile:

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #22,929 of 145,682
Maybe it would be easier to get a phono preamp like a Mani and feed a line level input, rather than getting a Jil and feeding a digital input, since that would still require a phono stage anyway? I would expect you have an extra line level input. Don't see how a phono preamp is more hassle than a a/d converter.

Being like Winnie the Pooh, I am a toad of very little brain. Ergo I can not see why I would require an additonal phono preamp to boost the signal to a DAC but maybe that is needed because people want more stuff on their plate? :o2smile: My vintage (and gorgeous!) Sony STR6800DS has two phono inputs so perhaps I should just stick with two tables on that unit and skip the exercise in futility that seems to be an ADC that can do what I think it was intended to do but with out external signal boosting prior to conversion to digital.

For me, if an item is built to take the analog signal from a turntable and convert it to digital, it should be able to do so sans any equipment between its analog input and digital output. Like wise, the digital input on a receiver should be able to take that digital output form the ADC and convert it in to music for me to listen to. I am probably hopelessly confused and should just forget about this.

Thank you!

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #22,930 of 145,682
Being like Winnie the Pooh, I am a toad of very little brain. Ergo I can not see why I would require an additonal phono preamp to boost the signal to a DAC but maybe that is needed because people want more stuff on their plate? :o2smile: My vintage (and gorgeous!) Sony STR6800DS has two phono inputs so perhaps I should just stick with two tables on that unit and skip the exercise in futility that seems to be an ADC that can do what I think it was intended to do but with out external signal boosting prior to conversion to digital.

For me, if an item is built to take the analog signal from a turntable and convert it to digital, it should be able to do so sans any equipment between its analog input and digital output. Like wise, the digital input on a receiver should be able to take that digital output form the ADC and convert it in to music for me to listen to. I am probably hopelessly confused and should just forget about this.

Thank you!

Look at the Schiit Jil page. It does not say it is "built to take the analog signal from a turntable and convert it to digital" it says it is built to take an analog signal and turn it into digital. Indeed, it states: "Pair Jil with your phono preamp to transcribe rare vinyl to the digital domain." What I've been trying to tell you is the output from a turntable ALWAYS requires a phono preamp. Period. If you hav e a turntable with one built in, cool. Otherwise with any standard hifi turntable you need one. Simple.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #22,931 of 145,682
He never said his turntables were any good. I'm guessing the Crossley reference was an attempt at a joke.

Actually, all my turntables satisfy me, both sonically and aesthetically. The Crosley reminds me of my youth and my GE Wildcat portable record (*GASP*) changer. It even returns the tone arm at the end of the record (but does not shut off). Some thing my Pro-Ject can not do. Or my TN-300. But I still enjoy my records on either manual, semi-auto or fully automatic turntables/record players!

So nope. Not joking. I like my Crosley just fine. It plays well and has yet to destroy any album of mine, old or new. If it were not for Crosley making vinyl fun for young folks, this vinyl resurgence would not have happened. Hipsters? Nah...I call 'em the Crosley Kids™®

Never take the fun out of a hobby. Because when you do that you are left with nothing more than an obsession.

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #22,932 of 145,682
It's 6VAC. That is what is silk screened on the box. I am guessing that is a cut and paste mistake from another product page.
And I am certain it comes with a power supply.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #22,933 of 145,682
Actually, all my turntables satisfy me, both sonically and aesthetically. The Crosley reminds me of my youth and my GE Wildcat portable record (*GASP*) changer. It even returns the tone arm at the end of the record (but does not shut off). Some thing my Pro-Ject can not do. Or my TN-300. But I still enjoy my records on either manual, semi-auto or fully automatic turntables/record players!

So nope. Not joking. I like my Crosley just fine. It plays well and has yet to destroy any album of mine, old or new. If it were not for Crosley making vinyl fun for young folks, this vinyl resurgence would not have happened. Hipsters? Nah...I call 'em the Crosley Kids™®

Never take the fun out of a hobby. Because when you do that you are left with nothing more than an obsession.

Thanks!

Being obstinate is never fun. At least not for those on the receiving end. :)

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #22,934 of 145,682
Look at the Schiit Jil page. It does not say it is "built to take the analog signal from a turntable and convert it to digital" it says it is built to take an analog signal and turn it into digital. Indeed, it states: "Pair Jil with your phono preamp to transcribe rare vinyl to the digital domain." What I've been trying to tell you is the output from a turntable ALWAYS requires a phono preamp. Period. If you hav e a turntable with one built in, cool. Otherwise with any standard hifi turntable you need one. Simple.

So my question returns to this - Will the analog out put from a 'table with a built in preamp, sent to the analog input of the Jil and then spat out in digital format and sent to the digital input of my receiver produce music by the receivers DAC? If not, I will not buy one as it would prove useless to me. I can do that with the digital out put from a CD player now. I do not, but it is there if I want to. It seems like it should be able to do so and this in spite of some saying why not just use a line in. Why not use either if you can?

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #22,935 of 145,682
So my question returns to this - Will the analog out put from a 'table with a built in preamp, sent to the analog input of the Jil and then spat out in digital format and sent to the digital input of my receiver produce music by the receivers DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back