Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #22,846 of 145,769
Schiit's facebook page is public, so you should be able to watch the livestream without registering. You would have to go to facebook.com/schiit directly.

Edit: Used private browsing to test this. If you type the address in directly, then click on videos in the left column, you should be able to watch a livestream, so long as it is set to public. Since Schiit is a public profile, the stream should be public by default.

I don't see videos listed in the left column though.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #22,847 of 145,769
It's a useful term for a real characteristic. Some pieces of equipment do it better than others, yes, even electronics.
It a useful term only among those who agree what it means when used to describe a subjective experience. It's like sound stage or "air," all made up terms to describe a user's experience that may or may not be universal and may or may not have an identifiable cause. Your PRAT may be my MEH. And vice versa.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #22,848 of 145,769
PRAT. I thought that archaic term of audiophoolery went away a long time ago.

Like most of audio, I find that "Pace, Rhythm and Timing" applies far more to different masterings of an album than to different equipment.

The biggest examples I can think of are the REM remasters by MFSL vs the original REM CDs and the first series of Jimi Hendix remasters vs the original CDs.

In the first example, MFSL re-EQ'ed the albums to "make all instruments clearly audible". The problem is that - like almost all remasters, and especially audiophile remasters of rock - that process changes the mix substantially, bringing up instruments and portions of instruments' timbres that produce tonality, and lowering the portions that produce attack and impact - the parts that create the sense of rhythm.

This is why you can go to a live concert of a third rate rock band playing through a terrible sound system, and yet still have the desire to get up out of your seat.

The REM MFSL remasters are just the opposite - they make REM sound like a clearly audible chamber string quartet, rather than a rock band.

As far as "timing", the Schiit Multibit DACs and "megaburitto" digital filters are all about preserving the original timing of all of the parts of the recording, so that small details are not smeared by other delayed frequencies. Of course, more accurate timing also helps rhythm.

Having said all that, I'm not sure how you could have different "pace", except by changing the speed on your turntable. :)

( Note that like in all audio discussions, the differences described above are exagerrated. )

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #22,849 of 145,769
Schiit's facebook page is public, so you should be able to watch the livestream without registering. You would have to go to facebook.com/schiit directly.
I was surprised a bit because I remember seeing somewhere that they are not on Facebook. I found this statement in the current (on the website) manuals (last page) of Ragnarok and Yggdrasil:
NO, WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK.
NO, WE’RE NOT ON TWITTER.
And no, we’re not on youtube.

I believe it's outdated :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #22,850 of 145,769
I was surprised a bit because I remember seeing somewhere that they are not on Facebook. I found this statement in the current (on the website) manuals (last page) of Ragnarok and Yggdrasil:
NO, WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK.
NO, WE’RE NOT ON TWITTER.
And no, we’re not on youtube.

I believe it's outdated :)

@Jason Stoddard , might have to update that :stuck_out_tongue:

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #22,853 of 145,769
Brilliant !! Now to think about those tapes I have stashed away in storage !! JIL might get me motivated !

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #22,855 of 145,769
In discussion with my dealer PRAT related to a systems ability to reproduce what it is given. As he put it to me the faster an amplifier (and speaker) can react to the changing and dynamics of the music then you get prat

From an engineering perspective the closer an amplifier ( and transducer) can get to reproducing a square wave the better the PRAT will be since you'll be able to hear the change in timing and dynamics of a system. I guess that this is easier for a source (Digital), but more difficult for a amp and speakers.

When I was comparing a couple solid state integrated amps to a Tube integrated he mentioned that the tubes react more quickly to the change in signal. Therefore seem to have more PRAT.

So since I have typed PRAT like 50 times today I am done. If you don't believe in it , great.

So what is the new product?

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #22,857 of 145,769
In discussion with my dealer PRAT related to a systems ability to reproduce what it is given. As he put it to me the faster an amplifier (and speaker) can react to the changing and dynamics of the music then you get prat

From an engineering perspective the closer an amplifier ( and transducer) can get to reproducing a square wave the better the PRAT will be since you'll be able to hear the change in timing and dynamics of a system. I guess that this is easier for a source (Digital), but more difficult for a amp and speakers.

When I was comparing a couple solid state integrated amps to a Tube integrated he mentioned that the tubes react more quickly to the change in signal. Therefore seem to have more PRAT.

So since I have typed PRAT like 50 times today I am done. If you don't believe in it , great.

So what is the new product?

Since you and your dealer believe in each others' tales (opposed to hard quantifiable data) maybe we could discuss Santa.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #22,860 of 145,769
So that's more for recording artists not audiophile listeners right?

Yes, musicians would be interested at that price ... I am certainly ... but also to convert existing tapes, which may not be brilliant quality in the first place, SD would be fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back