Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #22,141 of 148,975
Curious why we have a picture of Freia sitting *directly on top of* two Vidars on the website, given Vidar requires at least 6" clearance directly above, no? Also curious if there are any black vidar pics.

Also re Manhattan Project (perhaps better question for Mike's calmer thread): if the first version is in the Magni/Modi chassis (which has been suggested), a chassis too small for AES/EBU, one therefore will have to choose between having Mike's amazing DSP via the "modi uber-level" I/O—USBg5, Toslink, and Coax in; coax-out—and AES/EBU, such as one would use to connect the $499 emotiva CD transport to Yggy. Sure, this is classic audio nervosa, and I'm 99% sure I can't hear the difference between coax and aes/ebu. Perhaps all this betokens is the subsequent launch of a deluxe bifrost-size Manhattan.

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #22,142 of 148,975
I think that they just wanted to show that you need two real balanced outputs if you want to run the Vidars in mono. Which sucks for me, as I am in the market for some powerful monoblocks, but I only have single ended outputs from my two preamps. A single Vidar is not powerful enough for my speakers sadly.

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #22,144 of 148,975
I don't think Jason and Co. has changed their stand on black trim. I'm pretty sure they only offer it when they have an original that has a blemish but can still be finished in black. You'll see Yggdrasil offered in black finish every once in a while as an option.

That's what I thought, too, but that many blemishes on Vidar to start out? I guess, when they're figuring out the tooling.

I never bought audio gear because of what finish it had, but so many people seem obsessed with a black finish on their stuff.

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #22,145 of 148,975
Jason stated the Vidar would be available in black by design. It sounds like a strategic decision to me, not one based on finding ways to use flawed metal.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #22,149 of 148,975
Is it valid to ask whether the EITR is upgradeable to some future USB Gen, in the same way that Schiit DACs are ?

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #22,150 of 148,975
Hi all,

Just signed up to the forum. I've been lurking on this thread since late last year waiting for the Vidar release. I'm proud to say that I'm finally a Schiithead, ordered up a Gumby, Freya, and Vidar yesterday and can't wait for them to show up. The only problem I have now is my Anthology speakers are finished yet Guess I better get to work on those so I have something to play with once my new Schiit shows up.

Looking forward to other reviews and thoughts of the Vidars. I will be posting my thoughts down here as well. Thank you to Jason and Mike for making some affordable gear and running a company that is different than most of the audio world.

Chris

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #22,151 of 148,975
Should you leave the VIdar on 24/7? Ive got two coming.
Capture.PNG

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #22,153 of 148,975
Just when I had left the idea of USB as a solution and started migrating to BNC as an option they pull me back in.
Now I have to start wondering all over again. I`ll end up with audio-anxiety-attacks if this continues :)

Anyway...Vidar is a beauty. Eitrs looks could do with some more love but overall it`s a great achievement.
Congratulations and my they sell like hot bunns (as the dutch say)!

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #22,154 of 148,975
I'd love to upgrade my Bifrost Uber to Gen 5 and Multibit at the same time, just a little worried they have a new Bifrost upgrade coming out soon...

I think I read elsewhere on this site that something was coming for the Bifrost, I wonder if the Gen 5 USB was it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back