Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #22,022 of 145,764
Gen 5 applies to the USB input. AES/BEU and SPDIF are not USB, so they are not affected, as I understand.
Yes I got that, but perhaps I should rephrase the question: with Gen 5 / Eitr now available, is AES still the preferred input for yaggy? I got the AES/EBU streamer in the first place because of this; but if Gen 5 offers better or similar performance, I might consider to swap it out with Mac mini for versatility.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #22,024 of 145,764
I've been SO looking forward to this coming out, stopped in and listened to it at AXPONA and was quite happy with what I heard. Popped on the Schiit website this afternoon to order one, and then noticed that it only had a single XLR input after some reading I saw that it only had balanced in for mono only, now I'm heart-broke because there's no stereo balanced intput and I can't run mono because it's a 4 ohm load... :frowning2:

Then...just use one Vidar?

Also, you can run mono into a 4-ohm load, but if you try and blow out your windows you might trip the protection first (which just means you'll have to switch it off and on again).

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #22,025 of 145,764
Ugh, send my Yggy in, and pay $60+ for shipping/insurance + $150 for Gen5, or get an Eitr but be forced to use coax... Quite a dilemma.

Yeah, and it's even worse from here in Canada. I wonder if it's really worth it over Yggy's Gen 3.

I'm currently using optical anyway, but as per usual, when stuff like this comes out the ol' consumerism and new toy syndrome hits :D.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #22,026 of 145,764
In my Vortexbox-Wyrd-GugnirMB via USB office system I currently hear no galvanic artifacts (ducking as Jason and Mike throw sharp objects at my head) so I probably will not upgrade to Gen 5. But it is nice to know I could. The Yggdrasil systems are not using USB now so those remain as is. But again, it is great to know that I could upgrade them if I needed or wanted to.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #22,027 of 145,764
And when does 2 Wyrd come out, with all of the Gen 5 isolation upgrades? I have been thinking about a Wyrd or one of the other USB isolator/reclocker/cleaners. Seems like a Wyrd with these upgrades would be quite competitive, and I would like to buy Schiit.

J.P.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #22,028 of 145,764
Ugh, send my Yggy in, and pay $60+ for shipping/insurance + $150 for Gen5, or get an Eitr but be forced to use coax... Quite a dilemma.

Oh crap. I just read this thread after placing my order and asking that they just ship me the upgrade to do myself. I'm in Canada and don't have the original box for Yggy anymore, so shipping to California would be a huge headache and very expensive. Hopefully they'll make exceptions for the electrical engineers in the crowd.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #22,029 of 145,764
I would love to upgrade my Yggy as I only use USB. But, I am disappointed that you can't just buy the card and install it yourself. Hopefully that option will be offered soon. For now, I will pass and wait till I am out of town to send my Yggy back as I have been told the turnaround time is 5 days. That means with shipping too and fro we are talking over a week. Too long to not have the Yggy at my disposal. What is so hard that this can't be done by an experienced tech?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #22,030 of 145,764

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing...I would really prefer to avoid another box (Eitr), but the shipping/insurance plus wait time from Canada is not looking attractive...

Anyone with experience doing these types of upgrades from Canada?

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #22,031 of 145,764
I've been SO looking forward to this coming out, stopped in and listened to it at AXPONA and was quite happy with what I heard. Popped on the Schiit website this afternoon to order one, and then noticed that it only had a single XLR input after some reading I saw that it only had balanced in for mono only, now I'm heart-broke because there's no stereo balanced intput and I can't run mono because it's a 4 ohm load... :frowning2:
Read through the FAQ page, odds are you will be ok, also note it's differentially balanced, also on FAQ page.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #22,032 of 145,764
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing...I would really prefer to avoid another box (Eitr), but the shipping/insurance plus wait time from Canada is not looking attractive...

Yep. An upgrade like this is really, REALLY easy, if you are experienced with electronics.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #22,033 of 145,764

Heck, I'm just one state over and it was that much to ship an amp of a similar size back to California for repair recently, with $2k insurance. I'd hate to think what it would cost from Canada. Could take a chance and skip the insurance, but that's probably a bad idea.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #22,034 of 145,764
Then...just use one Vidar?

Also, you can run mono into a 4-ohm load, but if you try and blow out your windows you might trip the protection first (which just means you'll have to switch it off and on again).

I would like to use just 1 however I want to use balanced inputs. This setup is going to be in my shop, and it will be cranked up often, and I don't want to have to deal with it going thermal when I do...

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #22,035 of 145,764
Very nice, ETA for Mimby 2 please? =)

Except that the USB board feeds I²S to the DAC chip and DDC's go through S/PDIF which is broken by design: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1788545-post2.html
That reads as general speculation with no specific reference to any designs or references to the claims made or even if it was optical or coax interfaces. If USB was Ideal there would be no need for wyrd, the wyrd knockoffs and USB to S/PDIF convertors. Isolating the Garbage that transmitted along with your USB Audio signal may easily outweigh what ever that link was trying to explain. The answer to the question is there is no reason why this would not work with Mimby or Modi 2 Uber like the other USB to S/PDIF convertors that many are pleased with. Sonic benefits are in the eye or ear of the beholder of course.

If you already have a Modi multibit, adding Eitr gives you Gen 5 capability for $179. Modi multi + Eitr=$428, Bifrost multi=$599, which the $171 difference gives you the Bifrost features [upgrade ability, performance, features, etc.]. The choice is yours, but unless the $ are very tight, I would suggest the Bifrost.

I was just running through this math in my head as well. for My Existing Mimby, Eitr is a definite. But for a new purchase It would depends on the scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back