Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #20,852 of 145,627
Leafy,

I'm really interested in the Song 3s. I have the LS50s like The Schiiter and have recently purchased the active wireless LS50s for a "Daughter gets married so I get to turn her room into a reading and listening room" under build. I got them for ease of use for the wifey. But I really want to put in an Yggy/Vidar setup into floorstanders too for me. The Songs are on my short list.

Can you go into your impression of them, especially if you got to hear the LS50s as comparison? Many thanks if you reply. My wife though will likely hate you for it!!!

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #20,854 of 145,627
I have the LS50s like The Schiiter and have recently purchased the active wireless LS50s
How do they compare, and what is the amplifier for your passive LS50s? I've seen posts from owners of passive LS50 who use serious amplification to drive them, yet ended up preferring the active version after they heard it.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #20,855 of 145,627
Just placed an order on a pair of Tannoy XT 8Fs, cheers!

Jun 11, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #20,858 of 145,627
Leafy,

I'm really interested in the Song 3s. I have the LS50s like The Schiiter and have recently purchased the active wireless LS50s for a "Daughter gets married so I get to turn her room into a reading and listening room" under build. I got them for ease of use for the wifey. But I really want to put in an Yggy/Vidar setup into floorstanders too for me. The Songs are on my short list.

Can you go into your impression of them, especially if you got to hear the LS50s as comparison? Many thanks if you reply. My wife though will likely hate you for it!!!

tl:;dr I preferred the ls50 to song3

I was surprised at that conclusion too. The Song3 was pretty dynamic and the spectrum is full, but in details, airiness and liveliness, I would take the LS50 for the ride. The only downside of the LS 50 is that for larger orchestral works, it is less coherent than the song3, but it's very close. And the subwoofer is a must for ls50.

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #20,861 of 145,627
How do they compare, and what is the amplifier for your passive LS50s? I've seen posts from owners of passive LS50 who use serious amplification to drive them, yet ended up preferring the active version after they heard it.

Rag drives my LS50s and JL Audio e110 sub fantastically. I'm trying to shoot for that sound in the new room. I'm quickly learning that room acoustics play an ENORMOUS role in how good they sound.

LS50 room is carpeted, somewhat smaller and irregular, heavily furnished with sleep sofa, desks, bookshelves, a dormer, and a rear knee wall, all of which add to breaking up reflections and standing waves. I listen at a nearfield 3 feet at my computer desk or on the sleep sofa at the rear knee wall 8-9 feet away.

The Active LS50 room is 1.5X bigger, is regular shaped but mathematically okay, has wood floors, and has 2 large windows. The echo in it unfinished is unreal. Reverb time is about 3 weeks!!!

A large area rug, 2 Stressless recliners, and a sleep sofa have tamed it somewhat, and the front wood equipment console, rear corner bookshelf, and window shades on order will tame it more, but I know I'm probable gonna have to do a lot of work on appropriate wall hangings to top it off. Sitting position is about 10 feet away.

Right now the systems are SO far apart that I have no idea how close they will end up. If the new room is decidedly inferior, my audio quest stops there and I'm glad I didn't pour a lot of dollars into a futile chase. The active system is easy for my wife to use, and that's good enough. Fun listening gets done in that room, more critical involved listening gets done in the other.

But if the room works sonically, a new Yggy/2 Vidars/speakers quest begins.

I REALLY, REALLY want to go on a quest!!!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #20,862 of 145,627
Mine will sit in the living room, 7 ft apart, 7 to 9 ft away from my listening position. Room is 13 x 25ish with a futon sofa, a rack of figures, a computer desk, a digital piano, and a bunch of other stuff. There is a big sliding door to the balcony but covered with jalousie window which might help a bit (better than large flat glass windows of course).. Not ideal but since this is a rental, I can't really do a lot of room modifications...

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #20,864 of 145,627
Well I like the Ls50 wireless speakers but I don't think the dac inside is near as good as the Yggy .

Thus overall I prefer the passive ls50's with strong amplification and a Yggy.

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #20,865 of 145,627
HT,

That's my biggest audio nervosa right now. The speaker and amps in the active being developed to work harmoniously together but with a lesser DAC versus a bunch of excellent separates with the best DAC in the world.

Which system wins out? Does the "mismatch" in the speaker/amp integration in the second system get overwhelmed by the more awesomeness of the Yggy thus allowing the second system to better the actives?

I wish I had endless dollars to test the theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back