Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #19,504 of 145,763
There is a problem in "high end " audio. It's long term existence as we know it depends on maintaining the belief that there is a direct and inviolable correlation between price and sound quality. This month's Stereophile has a review in it of a $20000 preamp. If a preamp's job is to pass a signal from a source component to an amplifier while imparting minimal effect, why does more stuff in the box have to mean better sound?  It doesn't.  A source selector, low noise power supply, minimal low distortion gain stage, and a volume control should do the job.  I don't see how adding more is better. How do you add signal purity?  If the best preamp is no preamp than the best compromise should be the least preamp.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to own a finely crafted piece of esoterica, whether it be a watch, a firearm, or an audio component.  However, when people know that this is about pride of ownership and not about actual performance, they buy what they can afford and enjoy it without feeling they have to save up to purchase something from the next price level.  I keep reading reviews where somebody writes about how good something is and it is "only" $2000.  That's insane.  The review magazines, especially at the highest end, are in an incestuous relationship with the manufacturers.  The guy writing reviews gets a half a million dollar system to play with on indefinite loan.  Easy to say a $25K wire is worth every penny when you never have to spend a dime.  Don't investigate for truths you don't want to know or your play toys will disappear.  Most of the time, even when low priced gear gets a good review, its of the "its very good but not quite as good as the very best" variety.  They have to maintain the price/fidelity illusion or the whole game is over or at least the number of players is seriously reduced.  I cancelled my subscription to TAS some time ago due to a completely inane series they were doing about computer audio.  Sorry but I need a plausible explanation for things. There was too much serious attention being payed to completely magical thinking.  I re-subscribed after reading the completely heretical review linked to below.  RH felt like he had to add disclaimers but at least they didn't fire the guy.  

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/benchmark-ahb2-amplifier/

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #19,505 of 145,763
We've sort of been conditioned to accept that hifi/even summit fi performance demands exorbitant cost. Every now and then a company comes along and says "I can make a product do the same thing yours does, but without an extra zero added to it". Unfortunately these companies, like Schiit, push against the old guard who run these journals and magazines and perpetuate the myth of $25k or bust. In the speaker world, you'd be surprised how insufficient the differences are between a system for $30k and $300k in a properly treated room.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #19,506 of 145,763
I noticed that one of the complainers was from the Fulla thread.  He didn't like his early Fulla (fine, okay) so demanded money above and beyond the terms of the purchase -- that is, shipping and restocking fee waived.  He made a big stink about it and found himself fired as a customer for being a general PITA. 

He's still whining about it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #19,507 of 145,763
We've sort of been conditioned to accept that hifi/even summit fi performance demands exorbitant cost. Every now and then a company comes along and says "I can make a product do the same thing yours does, but without an extra zero added to it". Unfortunately these companies, like Schiit, push against the old guard who run these journals and magazines and perpetuate the myth of $25k or bust. In the speaker world, you'd be surprised how insufficient the differences are between a system for $30k and $300k in a properly treated room.

I would not be surprised at all. My Imagine T2's list for $3500 and sound amazing.  When it comes to electronics the performance differences between $3000 and $30000 are largely non-existent.  Even in speakers, exotic veneers look pretty but they don't make it sound better.  Phono cartridges are another area.  $1000 is called budget.  Stylus, cantilever, wire coil, magnet.  How can you put those together in such a way that it costs $15000?

On the other hand I spent a few hours listening to my new Modi 2 Multibit playing through my Saga into my NAD amp and the above mentioned speakers.  It sounded awesome.  Could I tell it from my Yamaha disk player or my Chromecast audio if I wasn't looking.  Maybe?   I think so.  I don't really care.   I didn't mortgage my house to buy it so I don't need to fight so hard to justify it.  I like it and I want to support a company that is saying h---- no to the spiraling cost of hi fi sound.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #19,508 of 145,763
  I cancelled my subscription to TAS some time ago due to a completely inane series they were doing about computer audio.  Sorry but I need a plausible explanation for things. There was too much serious attention being payed to completely magical thinking.  I re-subscribed after reading the completely heretical review linked to below.  RH felt like he had to add disclaimers but at least they didn't fire the guy.  

I remember both of these articles. In the computer audio article a lot of space was dedicated to discussing the merits and supposed sonic differences of various ripping speeds and lossless storage formats. I have a really hard time understanding why a lossless file can sound any different from another lossless file from the same source. Lossless = no data loss, people.

In the Benchmark amp review the writer mused that perhaps this amp was so transparent that not much further improvement could be achieved. I forget the reviewer's name, but kudos to him for speaking out! BTW I heard the same Benchmark amp a couple of years ago at the THE Show Newport and I thought that it sounded quite good.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #19,509 of 145,763
  I noticed that one of the complainers was from the Fulla thread.  He didn't like his early Fulla (fine, okay) so demanded money above and beyond the terms of the purchase -- that is, shipping and restocking fee waived.  He made a big stink about it and found himself fired as a customer for being a general PITA. 

He's still whining about it.

He was Fulla Schiit. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #19,510 of 145,763
  I would not be surprised at all. My Imagine T2's list for $3500 and sound amazing.  When it comes to electronics the performance differences between $3000 and $30000 are largely non-existent.  Even in speakers, exotic veneers look pretty but they don't make it sound better.  Phono cartridges are another area.  $1000 is called budget.  Stylus, cantilever, wire coil, magnet.  How can you put those together in such a way that it costs $15000?

On the other hand I spent a few hours listening to my new Modi 2 Multibit playing through my Saga into my NAD amp and the above mentioned speakers.  It sounded awesome.  Could I tell it from my Yamaha disk player or my Chromecast audio if I wasn't looking.  Maybe?   I think so.  I don't really care.   I didn't mortgage my house to buy it so I don't need to fight so hard to justify it.  I like it and I want to support a company that is saying h---- no to the spiraling cost of hi fi sound.

How in the hell can you whine about a component for $100???   Without even knowing the circumstances, I'd say the guy needs to be fired!

I totally agree about your comments about analogue components...$15K for a Cartridge??   The things I love about my Schiit components is that they have more performance /dollar than just about anyone else in HiFi.

Plus my Yggy makes the use of Vinyl a total waste of time and resources and puts a huge smile on my mug while doing it!  

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #19,511 of 145,763
  How in the hell can you whine about a component for $100???   Without even knowing the circumstances, I'd say the guy needs to be fired!

I totally agree about your comments about analogue components...$15K for a Cartridge??   The things I love about my Schiit components is that they have more performance /dollar than just about anyone else in HiFi.

Plus my Yggy makes the use of Vinyl a total waste of time and resources and puts a huge smile on my mug while doing it!  

I have a legacy vinyl collection that I am not going to transfer to digital.  It's too much work and I still like messing around with it.  As I have mentioned before, music that was recorded in the late 40's and early fifties sounds better on the original vinyl than later CD transfers because tape recording was in its infancy and those tapes don't last.  It's not so much about vinyl as a format but that the masters were in way better shape when they cut the vinyl.  I would not start collecting LP's today but being of a certain age, I am not going throw the 400 ones I have out either.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #19,512 of 145,763

This is where I first heard about it:  http://www.computerworld.com/article/2472189/network-hardware-solutions/a-surge-protector-that-doesn-t-protect.html

Right.  That's where the information about the device not protecting the downstream gear appears.  Hence, my concern.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #19,513 of 145,763
  If you follow the link from that 2012 story to the Tripp Lite site, you get to a manual that does not have the quoted text. If you read the manual, and the Web page about Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra does not say anything like that either. Instead, you have the following

1. Safe Thermal Fusing: Prevents unsafe conditions during extreme extended over-voltages and catastrophic occurrences

Looks like something may have changed in the last 5 years. 

One problem with the Web is that outdated information persists and we rarely follow links to verify that quotes are still accurate.

Ah, OK thanks for updating that information for me!  Appreciate the help, all.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #19,514 of 145,763
I thought he moved to Florida and retired from the blogosphere, but his handle still says Tony in Michigan.

What is the matter Tony? Don't you love us anymore?

Yeah, where is @tonykaz - are you still out there?  We miss your contributions!  Well, at least I do LOL.

Cheers,
RCB

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #19,515 of 145,763
Yeah, where is @tonykaz
 - are you still out there?  We miss your contributions!  Well, at least I do LOL.

Cheers,
RCB

Yeah me to.

tonykaz how's the soup these days.

Its not more that few weeks ago I thought about you positive vibe in this thread.

When I saw your signature I had to read your comments many times to see the negativity.

I guess my mind really tried to turn your words into sarcasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back