Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #18,947 of 149,072
Because of all that screens in your setup.
If I knew how to do it I would send in a picture of my setup.
Problem is Constanza. She is very lazy in picking up her camera skills.

Large high resolution screens are invaluable when working with large spreadsheets, like FMEA's.

Multiple screens are a huge productivity boost especially when doing tasks where you need to reference multiple documents at once. Alt tabbing to find the right document you need can take way more time than you think if you have to do it a lot.

Having the screen real estate to keep every document you are working on on screen at the same time is huge, and once you get used to it, there is no going back.

Personally I think having multiple screens is getting to be vanilla nowadays. Most of my online buddies have two or more. One buddy has five but he does do VFX online in addition to gaming. I only have one but that's mostly because I'm pressed for space at the moment.

Exactly

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #18,948 of 149,072
Large high resolution screens are invaluable when working with large spreadsheets, like FMEA's.

Multiple screens are a huge productivity boost especially when doing tasks where you need to reference multiple documents at once. Alt tabbing to find the right document you need can take way more time than you think if you have to do it a lot.

Having the screen real estate to keep every document you are working on on screen at the same time is huge, and once you get used to it, there is no going back.
Exactly

I agree, if you're working on something like an FMEA whilst surfing the web for news and stock deals and listening to music.  That would be a work-rig.  For home use, IMO, it's a bit much for an environ to relax and chill.  Different strokes...

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #18,949 of 149,072
I posted this on the Yggy thread but want to share it with non-Yggy owners who might not be subscribed to it.
-----------------------------------------
I'm predicting that Yggy will win TAS DAC of the Year and has a REALLY good shot at Product of the Year based on Robert Harley's review which I just finished reading.

Last 2 sentences:

"It's a spectacular performer on an absolute level, and an out of the world bargain. The Yggy is not just a tremendous value in today's DACs, it's one of the greatest bargains in the history of high end audio."

I'm always jaded when I read TAS reviews, but EVERYTHING he talks about is exactly what I've found with my own Yggy. There's not one negative thing in the review unlike Stereophile's.

Well done, Sir Michael. Well done indeed!!!

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #18,950 of 149,072
I agree, if you're working on something like an FMEA whilst surfing the web for news and stock deals and listening to music.  That would be a work-rig.  For home use, IMO, it's a bit much for an environ to relax and chill.  Different strokes...

My proclivity for multiple and large screens started at work, but once I got used to there my computer at home felt so limiting, I had to do something about it.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #18,951 of 149,072
Thanks all for suggestions on how I might pick up a set of Emotiva monitors for a reasonable price. I feel as if I'm pretty knowledgeable on headphone and headphone gear, but I don't know where to begin with two channel gear. Does anyone have recommendations for near-field powered monitors in particular or really, any good speakers for a future home theater/listening room setup that won't break the bank? I've had my eyes on a pair of Magnepan MMG for a while to most likely mate with a Vidar.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #18,952 of 149,072
I posted this on the Yggy thread but want to share it with non-Yggy owners who might not be subscribed to it.
-----------------------------------------
I'm predicting that Yggy will win TAS DAC of the Year and has a REALLY good shot at Product of the Year based on Robert Harley's review which I just finished reading.

Last 2 sentences:

"It's a spectacular performer on an absolute level, and an out of the world bargain. The Yggy is not just a tremendous value in today's DACs, it's one of the greatest bargains in the history of high end audio."

I'm always jaded when I read TAS reviews, but EVERYTHING he talks about is exactly what I've found with my own Yggy. There's not one negative thing in the review unlike Stereophile's.

Well done, Sir Michael. Well done indeed!!!

Call me super jaded...but as good as the Yggy is...Harley is looking for ad dollars. Yes, sad that reviewer cred is so low that it makes me think this way.

It also makes me think he needs a sub 5K DAC to hold onto for comparisons.

He does not spend a nickel on gear so this will be his 'long term loaner'.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #18,953 of 149,072
Call me super jaded...but as good as the Yggy is...Harley is looking for ad dollars. Yes, sad that reviewer cred is so low that it makes me think this way.

It also makes me think he needs a sub 5K DAC to hold onto for comparisons.

He does not spend a nickel on gear so this will be his 'long term loaner'.

The sad part is that in the age of ad blockers it is VERY difficult to make money on small independent sites. This is forcing many reviewers to make morally.compromisong decisions in order to keep eating.

This is the sad part.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #18,954 of 149,072
So with Yggy dwarfing way more expensive DACs, and Vidar about to do the same to Amps, and Freya chewing up the Pre-amp category, Schiit is positioned to flip the value curve on high end audio in 2017.

The Schiitr is showcasing KEF LS50s as an appropriate bang for the buck transducer. I own them, and they also blow out the performance/cost curve. And adding a JL Audio e110 sub just totally fills in the bottom. And there IS a way to make it even better:

So all we need now is a Schiit crossover that blows away a $3000 JL Audio CR-1 Active Crossover which may be the best out there.

Come on boys, make it happen. Obsolete another audio category for us!!!!!

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #18,956 of 149,072
So with Yggy dwarfing way more expensive DACs, and Vidar about to do the same to Amps, and Freya chewing up the Pre-amp category, Schiit is positioned to flip the value curve on high end audio in 2017.

The Schiitr is showcasing KEF LS50s as an appropriate bang for the buck transducer. I own them, and they also blow out the performance/cost curve. And adding a JL Audio e110 sub just totally fills in the bottom. And there IS a way to make it even better:

So all we need now is a Schiit crossover that blows away a $3000 JL Audio CR-1 Active Crossover which may be the best out there.

I don't know what it is, but I never fell in love with the LS50s.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #18,957 of 149,072
What do ad blockers have to do with space ads in print. That is what pays the bills.

Sorry, my bad.

I'm not familiar with this Harley guy I just assumed he ran an independent website.

I haven't read a print magazine since the mid 90's. I sometimes forget they still exist.

Who even buys anything in print anymore? That's like stone age stuff.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #18,958 of 149,072

LS50s do seem to be the speaker du jor. I bought a pair after listening to them at The Schiitr. I use them with a small Pioneer 8" sub.

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #18,959 of 149,072
Sorry, my bad.

I'm not familiar with this Harley guy I just assumed he ran an independent website.

I haven't read a print magazine since the mid 90's. I sometimes forget they still exist.

Who even buys anything in print anymore? That's like stone age stuff.

Meet a real live cave man. I subscribed to S*********e after reading all the Schiit you guys have said about it. I'm 67 years old and I find it easier to read a print subscription.

Besides, I'm a Luddite. 
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #18,960 of 149,072
Meet a real live cave man. I subscribed to S*********e after reading all the Schiit you guys have said about it. I'm 67 years old and I find it easier to read a print subscription.

Besides, I'm a Luddite. :p

Well I will say this. While I haven't bought a print newspaper or magazine since the 90's I still do prefer my novels in paper form.

None of this Kindle stuff works for me.

That being said, I rarely have time for reading recreational fiction anymore. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back