Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #18,528 of 149,153
You can tell  by looking at the Teddy Pardo Circuitboards that they are cheap!  They cannot even hold Schiit's JockStrap!
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #18,529 of 149,153
Re: teddy pardo. Lots of talk about the power supply no mention if this is a class D amp. More expensive than Vidal and not stereo.

Good point! Not mentioning the class makes me assume Class D because of the case size. But Vidar is almost as small, so it may be a wrong assumption. We can't tell by looking.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #18,530 of 149,153

Re: teddy pardo. Lots of talk about the power supply no mention if this is a class D amp. More expensive than Vidal and not stereo.

Good point! Not mentioning the class makes me assume Class D because of the case size. But Vidar is almost as small, so it may be a wrong assumption. We can't tell by looking.

I think that there's way too much heat sink showing for this to be a Class D design.

JC

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #18,531 of 149,153

Crumpets vs strumpets.  I actually checked that.  Strumpet is a female of low report.  Crumpets is slang from the 30s for a desirable female.

So, do we want women of low repute at the Schittr (with or without desirability) or do we want desirable females that may not be of low repute?

Alcohol is the great equalizer. :innocent:

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #18,535 of 149,153
  Teddy told me his amps are not class D. But he didn't elaborate as to how they are classified.

According to info I found elsewhere on the Interwebz, his would be called "chip amps" and operate in class A/B.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #18,536 of 149,153

Another "Something-I-wish-Schiit-would-do-but-they-never-ever-will-so-why-do-I-even-bring-it-up" :

Make some or all of their products available as kits for home builders.

Scoff if you will, but maybe this isn't so far-fetched. At least, it's not impossible. See, even though Jason was all leading edge when it came to marketing in the digital age, he does seem to have a fairly wide nostalgic streak. (I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his home is decorated in mid-century modern, there are tiki torches in the yard and 60s muscle cars in the garage.) Thus he will be well aware that for many decades DIY was a huge part of the home hi-fi scene. Sometimes I think of Schiit as the Dynaco of the 21st Century. Hope Jason doesn't take that as an insult 'cause I sure don't mean it that way.

For those of you for whom "google" was never not a  verb, Dynaco made great-sounding gear in modest cases at friendly prices. And if you wanted to save even more, you bought the Dynakit and plugged in the soldering gun. The other big player was Heathkit. No, not the guy from Wuthering Heights, but a company whose offerings allowed you to make not only amps, but anything from a clock radio to an oscilloscope to a TV set, in your basement workshop.

And, offering kits would get some of the monkeys off Schiit's back. Including the complainers (like me) who are always whinging on that Schiit won't build exactly what they want. Well, if you're bored with plain brushed aluminium, buy the kit and wrap your mimby in hand-hammered Damascus steel if that's what puts the light in your eye. Use whatever color and brightness of LEDs you prefer. Add meters, nixie tubes, magic eyes or all of the above (taste and restraint are optional.) Put the power switch right out there on the front!

Imagine the ads:

"It's not a kit, it's a Schiit Kiit!"

"The latest Schiit Kiit is a hiit!

And the beaming, solder-encrusted DIYer proudly holding up his Valhalla and proclaiming, "I schiit all weekend and this is what came out."

Or just, "I schiit this one myself."

And so on.

Of course there are more reasons this will never happen than Schiit has sold Asgards. Number one: quality. Number two: control. Not to mention a whole 'nother level of customer service nightmares. Plus, they gotta keep some secrets. On that basis alone, I can't see Ygg or the MP becoming kits unless many of the bits have all the numbers scraped off and then get potted in black epoxy.

But, one can daydream. Anyway, my soldering iron has been cold and neglected for far too long. And no, that is not a metaphor...

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #18,537 of 149,153

Another "Something-I-wish-Schiit-would-do-but-they-never-ever-will-so-why-do-I-even-bring-it-up" :

Scoff if you will, but maybe this isn't so far-fetched. At least, it's not impossible. See, even though Jason was all leading edge when it came to marketing in the digital age, he does seem to have a fairly wide nostalgic streak. (I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his home is decorated in mid-century modern, there are tiki torches in the yard and 60s muscle cars in the garage.) Thus he will be well aware that for many decades DIY was a huge part of the home hi-fi scene. Sometimes I think of Schiit as the Dynaco of the 21st Century. Hope Jason doesn't take that as an insult 'cause I sure don't mean it that way.

For those of you for whom "google" was never not a  verb, Dynaco made great-sounding gear in modest cases at friendly prices. And if you wanted to save even more, you bought the Dynakit and plugged in the soldering gun. The other big player was Heathkit. No, not the guy from Wuthering Heights, but a company whose offerings allowed you to make not only amps, but anything from a clock radio to an oscilloscope to a TV set, in your basement workshop.

And, offering kits would get some of the monkeys off Schiit's back. Including the complainers (like me) who are always whinging on that Schiit won't build exactly what they want. Well, if you're bored with plain brushed aluminium, buy the kit and wrap your mimby in hand-hammered Damascus steel if that's what puts the light in your eye. Use whatever color and brightness of LEDs you prefer. Add meters, nixie tubes, magic eyes or all of the above (taste and restraint are optional.) Put the power switch right out there on the front!

Imagine the ads:

And the beaming, solder-encrusted DIYer proudly holding up his Valhalla and proclaiming, "I schiit all weekend and this is what came out."

And so on.

Of course there are more reasons this will never happen than Schiit has sold Asgards. Number one: quality. Number two: control. Not to mention a whole 'nother level of customer service nightmares. Plus, they gotta keep some secrets. On that basis alone, I can't see Ygg or the MP becoming kits unless many of the bits have all the numbers scraped off and then get potted in black epoxy.

But, one can daydream. Anyway, my soldering iron has been cold and neglected for far too long. And no, that is not a metaphor...

So, have you ever tried working with surface mount technology?? 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #18,538 of 149,153

To detect that which is not there.

I quite like this definition. It really describes a whole lot about a person and a mentality in a quick sentence. It also happens to describe dark matter, better described as dark gravity, since it is a huge magnitude of gravity that we can measure, but cannot find the source of nor explain with current physics. Talking about these things that frAudiophiles claim they can detect is very similar to talking to some people who read too much crap on the internet and claim they can explain what dark matter is.

To paraphrase the Christ, it is easier for a layman to pass a 0000 AWG wire through the eye of a needle than for a frAudiophile to enjoy music.  They listen to equipment and through that, their nerdy little manlet of an ego.  Their is a sad imitation of life.

Reminds me of a story (I think Mike told it) about a guy who owned many thousands of dollars of gear, lived in a trailer, and owned somewhere around a dozen records. Barely enough to justify owning a stereo.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #18,539 of 149,153

Imagine the ads:

And so on.

If you want to build your own headphone amp, get on over to garage1217. No surface-mount involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back