Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 3, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #17,703 of 148,520
  HI-FI WORLD reviewed the Saga in the latest issue, gave it the full 5 globes plus the value sticker.

Yay! I ordered the Saga yesterday morning, it shipped yesterday and arrived today. Installing it will be a nice weekend project. It will join my Modi Multibit and Audioengine N22 in driving my Zu Omen Dirty Weekend speakers.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #17,705 of 148,520
  HI-FI WORLD reviewed the Saga in the latest issue, gave it the full 5 globes plus the value sticker.

I had a look at several reviews (randomly) on the Hi-Fi World website. Every single one of them had 5 "globes". Kinda makes the measurement irrelevant if it applies to everything, doesn't it? Or is everything equally fantastic and wonderful? Move aside, 6 Moons, there is a new player in town.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #17,706 of 148,520

I had a look at several reviews (randomly) on the Hi-Fi World website. Every single one of them had 5 "globes". Kinda makes the measurement irrelevant if it applies to everything, doesn't it? Or is everything equally fantastic and wonderful? Move aside, 6 Moons, there is a new player in town.

You are judging on a small sample of an even smaller sample of their reviews, or do you think they have only reviewed 7 amplifiers in the last 10+ years?
They do give out a lot of 5 globes, but 5 globes doesn't mean it's the greatest thing they've ever used, it just means it's in the top rank for what it is. A 5 globe $300 amplifier is not going to be equal to a 5 globe $30,000 amp. It's how they do their thing.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #17,707 of 148,520
I've been considering getting the Magni Modi stack, but I am concerned about the AC adapters and any noise coming from them.
I sleep in the same room and I don't want unplugging those to be a part of my life.

So can anyone verify whether there is any noise coming from the wall warts?
First and foremost interested in the wall wart for the Magni Uber.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #17,708 of 148,520
  You are judging on a small sample of an even smaller sample of their reviews, or do you think they have only reviewed 7 amplifiers in the last 10+ years?
They do give out a lot of 5 globes, but 5 globes doesn't mean it's the greatest thing they've ever used, it just means it's in the top rank for what it is. A 5 globe $300 amplifier is not going to be equal to a 5 globe $30,000 amp. It's how they do their thing.

How many 1 globe rating have they given out? Any, ever? Or 2 globe? Not having a go at you - I am having a go at these so-called "review" sites that are really just schilling. The incestuous and co-dependent relationship between manufacturers / distributors / retailers and "reviewers" is what I am calling out. Nothing personal at all.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #17,709 of 148,520
  I've been considering getting the Magni Modi stack, but I am concerned about the AC adapters and any noise coming from them.
I sleep in the same room and I don't want unplugging those to be a part of my life.

I keep them on a power strip and turn them off at night or when I'm away from my desk, but just for you I gave a listen, and I hear no noise.

These are not your average cheap wall warts. I've also ordered a "Cthulu" floor wart, and as that's from the same supplier I don't expect any noise from that one either. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #17,710 of 148,520

I've heard no noise from mine.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #17,711 of 148,520
Review sites want to review equipment they like. Would you spend your job seeking out equipment that sucked so you could write scathing reviews about it? I know I wouldn't. Stop judging them for giving out lots of high ratings. There is a lot of great gear out there, and any decent reviewer has to admit that even products they might not like probably have a user base that wants them.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #17,712 of 148,520
For the most part companies put pretty decent gear on the market. They want it to sell. They have ears, and they know their customers have ears too.  Most of the electronics I have listened to lately has been pretty good.   Differences exist but not often are they a one versus a five.  I do, however, prefer seeing a few 3s and 4s in ratings because I doubt that everything they select is a five.  That said, most reviewers, would rather review good gear and would avoid picking stuff they have doubts about.

I have sometimes wondered if there might be a real inverse relationship between price and audio accuracy.  Very pretty audio gear with a lot of bling is sometimes "voiced" to appeal to tastes. More mass-produced stuff has to stay near the center line. When I say mass-produced that's a term relative to very high-priced gear.  

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #17,713 of 148,520
We just watched the X-Files episode last night, entitled "Pusher" (written by Vince Gilligan), which involves a sociopathic individual who possess a rather heightened ability to impose his will on others, manipulating his subjects to carry out horrible and often self destructive acts.  Seems relevant.

Although, with regard to the subject at hand, as much as we seem to enjoy pointing the finger at others when we feel they're being misled, we often feel to see our own folly in that regard.  That ol' mirror is tricky like that.

I saw this episode as a teenager in the 90's ... haven't seen it since, but it's burned into my memory. Weird first post for me but was surprised when no one replied to this .. creepy episode; totally relevant. I appreciated the reference!

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #17,714 of 148,520
I would like to see Schiit go head to head with Rogue Audio.

I want an affordable USA made tube amplifier. I would love a set of SET mono blocks.

I plan to buy an Atlas Magnum II this year ... but would prefer a Schiit alternative priced competitively.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #17,715 of 148,520
I'm late to this party, have lurked several hundred pages and chapters.

Recently ordered / received a Schiit Saga ... first Schiit product for me. I don't do headphones, run solely 2 channel for music.

Nick T answered all my asinine questions pre-sale, and did so even "after hours" as someone mentioned previously. The chapter on service was spot-on, but I hope the poor guy gets a break every once in a while.

I wanted to add a few late comments regarding Saga usage, and basically applaud the decisions made as described in the Saga/Freya chapter.

I use an HTPC to drive both a 2 channel and surround system in my living room.

I purchased the Saga to control a <$200 TubeCube 7 that has no remote and a pot destined to fail (BUT I LOVE THIS AMP!)

3.5 Watts (maybe) drives a set of 93db of Klipsch RP bookshelves that are sitting on top of a pair of K towers (part of the surround system).

The second set of Saga outputs drive a pair of K subwoofers which have dual input, and are simultaneously connected to a receiver.

There are NO issues with the subs connected to the Saga and receiver simultaneously.

I currently only use a single input of the Saga from my HTPC's integrated (RTK ALC1150) analog line out.

There is a TV in the middle ... and sometimes I watch old anime (stereo 4:3) through my 2 channel setup, so having a Saga with a remote control is super useful for this application.

I listen to streaming and WAVs I legally ripped, and appreciate the purely subjective sound quality of the Saga's hybrid tube buffer.

I am only interested in tube equipment for 2 channel ... and a single 6sn7 is easy to roll.

I perceive a significant difference between passive and buffer mode (very short cable run).

I don't need remote turn on or a bypass feature ... I use a wireless keyboard from my couch to change between analog and HDMI outputs on the HTPC.

1$ more and I wouldn't have bought a Saga ... but it is worth every penny I paid, so a fancy milled remote would've been a deal breaker.

The Saga allows me to enjoy both analog 2ch AND surround sound in the same room.

I love my Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back