Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 8, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #16,981 of 145,572
Aside: I've been doing intermittent fasting for the past few years (8 hours eating, 16 hours fasting) and it has pretty much been second nature to me. The beauty of it is that it's really flexible and it doesn't matter if you stop and restart again for any reason (I caught the flu recently, so I have to eat 3 meals for the moment so I can take my medications).

Jason if you're still willing to try biohacks, you should look into trying ketogenic diets next. The first time I tried a modified form of the ketogenic diet, my body fat went down from 17% to 12% in about 3 months, without me having to change my exercise regime. 

I'm a proud user of Mimby and it's one of the few gears that I've bought recently without having a listen to it. I also did not bother to compare A-B with my other DAC, and just slot it in as my main DAC. That's because I believe in the science and R&D that Schiit has put into their products, and that I also happened to resonate with Schiit's philosophies. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #16,982 of 145,572

Sex is gambling. Or is it the other way around? :wink:

Has anyone yet mentioned how tasty skewered sacred cow is?  Especially cooked over an open flame, with the right wood.   Mmmmmm.

Believe it or not, beef was rated only slightly above pork on the meat culinary delight scale back in the frontier mountaineer days. At the very top was buffalo fat cow, followed by dog (Indian style), then mountain cat...

And the skewer of choice was their musket ramrod.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #16,983 of 145,572
  I've done 4-day fasts.  They can be quite mind-expanding.

I fast between mouthfuls   
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #16,984 of 145,572

When you get right down to it, most hobbies are obsolete. They consist of people doing things for fun or relaxation that could be more efficiently achieved by other (more up-to-date) means. You don't go fishing or hunting or gardening because you are hungry. You don't paint because the walls look a little bare. And there's absolutely no rational reason to listen to music at all. Wherein lies the glory of the thing, no matter what means we use to pursue it.

What bugs me more is people looking down on others' hobbies or approaches. Seems that passing judgment is one of the most popular hobbies of all...

Love this! Well said Sir.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #16,985 of 145,572
Believe it or not, beef was rated only slightly above pork on the meat culinary delight scale back in the frontier mountaineer days. At the very top was buffalo fat cow, followed by dog (Indian style), then mountain cat...

And the skewer of choice was their musket ramrod.

Bison steaks are great -- I love them.  But beef is my more common meat of choice.  I can't imagine preferring pork, consistently, over beef.

But Jason said he was going to skewer some sacred cows, and all I could think was, "mmm, the smell of sacred cow on a stick!"

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #16,989 of 145,572
  It actually ended up being 96 hours--4 days. After the second day, I wasn't really hungry at all.

For those interested in this facet of my insanity, fasting releases HGH, helps reverse insulin resistance, and is supposed to reset the immune system (through clearing of senescent white blood cells). My fasting blood glucose has gone down significantly--from low-mid 90s to low-mid 80s--since the fast. Given this is related to overall health markers, I'd call it a success. However, it's not what I'd call a pleasant experience (not unpleasant, either--"disconcerting" is the best way to describe it.)

Intermittent fasting (eating only within a 4-6 hour window every day) also supposedly has some of the same benefits. I find the intermittent method really easy to do.

Standard disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, this isn't health advice, consult your own physician (mine thinks I am crazy--I think I scare him a little), and, most importantly, do what works for you. For example, I don't do well on keto diets, despite many people who do very well on them. I've also verified that I have no problem with gluten and dairy products, though there are certainly people that do (and it seems to be a fad right now to avoid both.)

I have doing fasts since i was 14. I fast every Thursday and also after holidays in general. I do a 3 day fast twice a year. Really clears my head and body of junk. The funny thing for me is that after fasting, my body craves oil-free and healthy food even though i sometimes feel like eating junk food. Generally break my fast with cucumbers and green tea. Feel completely relaxed, fresh and alert all at the same time.

As a side benefit, my tolerance and consumption of salt and sugar has reduced drastically over the years, which means that i can't stand fried foods or anything with lots of processed sugar. So basically eat at home. Unfortunately with 2 kids, i need to eat out sometimes.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #16,990 of 145,572
Fasting: you can get many of the same benefits (lowered blood sugar, lowered blood pressure, lowered cholesterol, weight loss) just by cutting out sugar, white flour, and simple carbs from your diet. In fact, start out cutting out all starches and grains (even whole grains) for a couple of weeks along with the sugar and other whites.  Afterwards, just stay away almost completely from sugar and avoid the other white stuff (eat only very moderate amounts), and you will probably find many benefits. Don't have to fast for many of these benefits.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #16,992 of 145,572
I fast because i find it very relaxing and stress reducing. I have always been lean and avoided starchy and processed foods in general. Growing up my mom was diabetic, which meant that all the food at home was as starch and sugar free as possible. Which is kind of a big deal as i am Indian and Indian food is generally known for being carbs and starch heavy. IMO it's easier to reduce sugar and processed food intake by fasting first. After the fast is done, your body naturally craves healthy food. My wife feels the same way.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #16,993 of 145,572
  How does fasting work by the way?

I tried going without food for 12-18 hours and started having gastric issues

You need to prepare for fasting. The day before fasting, stay well hydrated and avoid alcohol and eating heavy/oily/starchy food like steaks, chips etc. Also avoid or reduce salty food. This way you won't feel parched, hung-over or too queasy. As an additional step, i would suggest drinkng some turmeric tea with honey before bed.

I generally eat cooked chickpeas, cucumbers, bananas etc the day before.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #16,994 of 145,572

You need to prepare for fasting. The day before fasting, stay well hydrated and avoid alcohol and eating heavy/oily/starchy food like steaks, chips etc. Also avoid or reduce salty food. This way you won't feel parched, hung-over or too queasy. As an additional step, i would suggest drinkng some turmeric tea with honey before bed.

I generally eat cooked chickpeas, cucumbers, bananas etc the day before.

Ah I see, the idea is to get my body ready for less food in a gradual manner?

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #16,995 of 145,572

Ah I see, the idea is to get my body ready for less food in a gradual manner?

That's one of the benefits. But the main reason is to detoxify your body, so that you don't feel sick, parched or even nauseous when fasting. When i first fasted, i got cramps because i had eaten fried stuff the previous day. Eating healthy the previous day helps keep your cravings in check much better. You also feel less thirsty.

There are other things people can do become healthier. One of the best ways is to only eat and drink between a specified time period. I eat and drink within a 9 hour period from 10AM-7PM. I don't eat or drink anything outside of those timings. That actually works pretty well as you maintain discipline, especially if the food you eat is generally free of processed sugar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back