Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #16,591 of 145,771

Like customer service.   That's seriously obsolete, and embraced by Schiit.

No doubt! I had a small cosmetic issue (OCD on my part) with my Gungnir Gen2 when it arrived and it would have been impossible (short of time travel) for the wonderful staff at Schiit Audio to have a replacement at my door any sooner. And, they were extremely apologetic and nice about it!...imagine that these days.   

For that and many other reasons, my hats off to them.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #16,592 of 145,771

Now I see why the hate when it comes to Stereophile

Thank goodness I rely other sources of information...

​I cancelled my subscription today and not just because of this, but because I find total subjectivity to be totally stooooopid.
Fremer is a manlet on a mission to hate any thing non-anal og.

No more Stereopile for me.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #16,593 of 145,771
  Stereophile's Reply
We don't have a "social media guy" - I, John Atkinson, post to Facebook that which I think interesting and relevant. The datasheet for the DAC chip clearly states that it is a 20-bit part and my measurements in the review clearly reveal the truncation of 24-bit data.

Since the DAC rounds and doesn't truncate, he clearly didn't measure what he thought he did.  Unless all four DACs are defective in exactly the same way.

I don't subscribe to them, and if I did, I wouldn't necessarily cancel them on the spot, but I'd take this as a data point to evaluate the soundness of their testing methodology.

EDIT: Scratch that, I misread Jason's post.  The rounding is in the DSP, not the DAC.  And, I suspect, if it didn't work properly, they'd've updated their firmware by now.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #16,594 of 145,771
For me this comes at an unusual/funny time, I was just notified that the issues of Stereophile and TAS I received this month are the last ones for my subscriptions. I don't like seeing magazines dying off, but I don't see me re-upping both subscriptions (not that they would fold due to my lack of a subscription).  

I just noticed that the next review (page 124) after the Yggdrasil is for a set of monoblock amps that retail for $99,000 a pair. In all fairness, the very thick, CNC milled aluminum casework is very attractive. I'm certain that Stereophile tries to review a good bit of reasonably priced gear as well, but far too often (for my taste/budget) I see components for over $20K or speakers costing as much as $200K. I think I'm better served using the web/this forum for reviews of components I'm interested in. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #16,595 of 145,771
  For me this comes at an unusual/funny time, I was just notified that the issues of Stereophile and TAS I received this month are the last ones for my subscriptions. I don't like seeing magazines dying off, but I don't see me re-upping both subscriptions (not that they would fold due to my lack of a subscription).  

I just noticed that the next review (page 124) after the Yggdrasil is for a set of monoblock amps that retail for $99,000 a pair. In all fairness, the very thick, CNC milled aluminum casework is very attractive. I'm certain that Stereophile tries to review a good bit of reasonably priced gear as well, but far too often (for my taste/budget) I see components for over $20K or speakers costing as much as $200K. I think I'm better served using the web/this forum for reviews of components I'm interested in. 

"CNC milled aluminum casework"

It is wise use of resources to purchase a component where 80% of the BOM and work goes into the casework?

This is where the industry went wrong, somewhere along the way.  

I also love when I read about "heroic" speaker enclosures. What a farce.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #16,596 of 145,771

Like customer service.   That's seriously obsolete, and embraced by Schiit.

Jason is right - it just striked me that pretty much everything Schiit does is "obsolete" by modern standards. Then why does it feel so refreshing? Maybe something is wrong with said standards?

EDIT: hell, just look at those prices.. like they took them straight from the 70s and forgot to adjust for inflation... seriously OBSOLETE.

Would make good ad copy: "Schiit Audio - 70's design and 70's price. When products were build well and made to sound good, not look fancy and have cheap parts with impressive numbers stuffed inside like today."

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #16,597 of 145,771
Since when did Stereophile start having a problem with "obsolete" things?

Turntables - obsolete, but whole section devoted to them in Recommended Components

Reel to Reel - they were going bonkers about the potential revival and covering The Tape Project a few years ago

LS 3/5A - so much devotion to this decades-old archaic design, which the BBC retired long ago, but Stereophile kept the torch burning

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #16,598 of 145,771
Attention grabbing headline - that's what it is all about. You know, sensationalism and all that.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #16,599 of 145,771
With all this Stereophile FB Yggy angst I'm glad no one seems to have read UK mag Hi-Fi World's review of the Modi MB and the accompanying article 
bigsmile_face.gif

example
"... the product is aimed at those that want the early CD sound, warts'n'all."

ph34r.gif

Oh, and he (the editor) thinks Yggy uses the same AD5547 dac 
blink.gif

Bliss 
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #16,600 of 145,771
  With all this Stereophile FB Yggy angst I'm glad no one seems to have read UK mag Hi-Fi World's review of the Modi MB and the accompanying article 
bigsmile_face.gif

example
"... the product is aimed at those that want the early CD sound, warts'n'all."

ph34r.gif

Oh, and he (the editor) thinks Yggy uses the same AD5547 dac 
blink.gif

IGNORANCE
wink.gif

FTFY    
L3000.gif

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #16,601 of 145,771
'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. First time I read it like this and I finally truly understand when people say the 'proof is in the pudding'.

I always wondered what pudding? What evidence has someone baked into a pudding for me to find?

I used to think we should have infinite bits with infinite sampling rate, no jagged edges to my prescious sine waves ever, period.

Today 320 MP3 is fine by me. To see it evolve from an unnecessary 24/192 to 32/384 when it's all about the mastering is kinda sad.

What is obsolete is the irrelevant percentage of the human population that concern themselves with these irrelevant issues.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #16,602 of 145,771
'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. First time I read it like this and I finally truly understand when people say the 'proof is in the pudding'.

I always wondered what pudding? What evidence has someone baked into a pudding for me to find?

I used to think we should have infinite bits with infinite sampling rate, no jagged edges to my prescious sine waves ever, period.

Today 320 MP3 is fine by me. To see it evolve from an unnecessary 24/192 to 32/384 when it's all about the mastering is kinda sad.

What is obsolete is the irrelevant percentage of the human population that concern themselves with these irrelevant issues.

With all respect:

Analog aficionados agree with your former preferences on infinite SR, et. al.

You will save yourself time, money, and trouble as long as you are content with MP3.

I believe, in particularly having designed equipment for the pro audio industry that mastering is quite important, but certainly not everything.

I am no tent revivalist. I make no faith based products and have been making them for a long, long, time. Despite any glib references to my life's work as irrelevant, I stand by that body of work. In fact, I have won quite a few bets and beers blindly differentiating your irrelevant issues.

This may not be your best thread to express your apparent adherence to pure scientism. There a number of sound science threads on this forum where you may find kindred souls.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 21, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #16,603 of 145,771
With all respect:

Analog aficionados agree with your former preferences on infinite SR, et. al.

You will save yourself time, money, and trouble as long as you are content with MP3.

I believe, in particularly having designed equipment for the pro audio industry that mastering is quite important, but certainly not everything.

I am no tent revivalist. I make no faith based products and have been making them for a long, long, time. Despite any glib references to my life's work as irrelevant, I stand by that body of work. In fact, I have won quite a few bets and beers blindly differentiating your irrelevant issues.

This may not be your best thread to express your apparent adherence to pure scientism. There a number of sound science threads on this forum where you may find kindred souls.

You might have misunderstood me. I should have clarified. With the poor recordings today, it wouldn't even matter if it was 320 or lossless.

The obsolete part, was regards to people dismissing a product because it can't do 32/768 or DSD.

Cheers,

Sam

P.S. Far from trying to imply that your life's work is irrelevant, I truly admire the work you did in the past, and for bringing to light the benefits of mutibit DA conversion. Bringing mutibit to the masses so that they too can hear the proper tone of instruments for very little outlay. Thankyou.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #16,604 of 145,771
To get that over-priced stack of carved aluminum out of the "recent images" box, here's a tube shot:

New Production Tung Sol, playing David Gilmour's "Live in Gdansk."

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #16,605 of 145,771

Cervantes​' phrase "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" actually means something similar to "This is the exception that proves the rule."  It really is a misuse of the phrase to use it implying that something is being shown or "proven" through use.  Sorry for the tangent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back