Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 24, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #14,221 of 149,197
Ha! Finally! Some Schiit marketing!

I'm a previous customer of theirs (direct purchase, not from Amazon or Canadian distributor) so they have my email from that transaction. I must have signed up for emails, and today I got my first one - a MailChimp mailout.

I'm not going to paste the whole thing here on the assumption I'm not alone in receiving it (unless someone asks), but Schiit has teamed up with 4ourears, Q Acoustics and Rutherford Audio to promote the Modi/Mani stack, Grado GS200E's, Q Acoustic speakers and the Thorens TD 240-2 turntable.

Cool selection of affordable gear, eh?

[Edit: just looked at the prices - $198 for the Schiit stack, $250 for the speakers: affordable, check. $1,400 for the speakers headphones not so much. $1,100 for the turntable seems reasonable for a table/arm/cartridge combo.]

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #14,222 of 149,197
Same here, kinda surprised, branching out.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #14,226 of 149,197
^ That's right. IIRC Schiit stuff is produced at its best possible price, permanently!

But for the true story, I'm pretty sure Jason covers Schiit's view of sales early in this thread and its book.

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #14,227 of 149,197
Just saw that Saga went online on the Schiit website and while I don't really have a use for one (I'm in for the sometimes-hilarious FQAs), I couldn't help notice the icon over the Active LED looks like a condom. I know it's suppose to be a tube, but, c'mon, where's the legs?
Also, the icon over the switch kinda reminds the symbol for Male? So... Probably coincidence, but a pretty good one.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #14,228 of 149,197
If that's in keeping with Schiit's policy of passing on all the Black Friday nonsense, I am all for it.

Better to let everyone enjoy the holiday with their families and friends.

I wish more companies would do this.

Sales and deals are just stupid marketers tricks to drive buzz. They hurt both the company and the consumer.

If instead products were at a fixed fair price, everyone benefits.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #14,230 of 149,197
  Yup, and you're lucky if the pain is only figurative!

But the stores are actually being clever, after seeing what people do to save a few bucks I will gladly pay more!

Amen to that!

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #14,232 of 149,197
The occasional B-stock finish listings are the only Schiit discounts to be had...

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #14,233 of 149,197

But, this run of good luck was enough to have me thinking, “Heh, a little amp? How hard can that be?”

As it turned out, it was damn difficult. Remember, 13 months from Modi proto to launch? At least 6 or 7 of those months were spent running down the wrong paths on Magni.

In my personal experience, whenever I have asked rhetorically "how hard could it be?", the answer has more often than not been "a lot harder than you'd think".

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #14,235 of 149,197

Revisions should be specified:

1. On the drawing. So you know what it is, durr. Protip: add a “Revision Notes” panel to remind yourself what you changed with each revision. Trust me, the vendors will thank you.
  2. On the file name. Seems basic, but you’d be amazed how long it took us to figure it out.
  3. On the purchase order. This may be less obvious. But if you end up with a whole boatload of parts that don’t fit because you specified the wrong rev, you’re going to eat them—and customers are gonna be howling about the backorder. 

Being in manufacturing myself, I always find myself trying to talk down outraged customers of products (not my own) in forums.   Most people just don't seem to understand how much actually goes into a product, and that even under the best of circumstances, problems are to be expected, especially with a new launch.

The problem with being in Manufacturing (well, I'm a Quality Assurance Engineer) is that you only get noticed when something goes wrong.   If you have a miraculous stint of a year without any problems,  no one congratulates you, gives you awards or bonuses, but as soon as the unavoidable problems arise, the bean counters in management who know nothing get pissy and start pointing fingers at manufacturing for their lack of perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back