Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 21, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #14,165 of 145,644

Thanks, I am Drying the Tears Away and Hitting the refresh button on the Schiit Page another 18 million times.

What did I miss? what's about to happen that makes you to fall for that compulsion?
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #14,166 of 145,644
So, is anyone planning to purchase the Jot DAC module and build their own stand-alone balanced output DAC?

Would it be as easy as I visualize? 

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #14,167 of 145,644
  So, is anyone planning to purchase the Jot DAC module and build their own stand-alone balanced output DAC?

Would it be as easy as I visualize? 

Easy?  You jest.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #14,168 of 145,644
Nov 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #14,171 of 145,644

Not really.

OK.  Do you know the required voltages and current?  The pin out on the edge connector?  Will Schiit even sell you the DAC card as a stand-alone?  Would any of that be cheaper than simply buying a completed product from Schiit?

But hey, if it floats your boat then go for it.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #14,172 of 145,644
  OK.  Do you know the required voltages and current?  The pin out on the edge connector?  Will Schiit even sell you the DAC card as a stand-alone?  Would any of that be cheaper than simply buying a completed product from Schiit?

But hey, if it floats your boat then go for it.

DIY in your mind:

1. Buy bare PCB for $20 plus $100 in parts.
2. Assemble.
3. Get $1000 in performance for $120!

DIY in the real world:

2. Realize that you ordered the wrong parts, pay return shipping plus new parts, add $50.
3. Realize that hey, while you're at it, might as well upgrade some parts, add $250.
4. Get a good soldering iron, silver solder, flux, solder sucker, board cleaner, third hands, board cleaner, add $200.
5. Realize you need a dremel for a board mod that someone recommended on a DIY forum, purchase dremel, drill bits, grinding wheels, cutters, and add hot air rework station, nice Fluke meter, on-sale oscilloscope, and variac, add $1000.
6. Begin assembly. Realize you still have some wrong parts, so might as well get better ones, plus drawers to organize your parts, plus some more parts for A/B testing later, add $250.
7. Power on. Despite variac, the board smokes. Troubleshoot and buy more parts, plus another Fluke meter to measure current, plus a current-limited lab power supply, plus a function generator so you can visually tell if the circuit is working early in the game, plus a Flir One to see what's getting hot. Add $1,000.
8. Power on, it works. Spend a week swapping parts and listening. Oops, shorted something, board go boom. Spend an evening troubleshooting and replacing parts. Can't find it. Realize you need a 6.5 digit 4-wire bench meter...

And so on...

(Now, before I get eviscerated by the DIY crowd, I have to reiterate I have the utmost respect for DIY...and the lessons you learn while making your own stuff is invaluable. It just can't be thought of as cheap or easy, either in terms of budget or time. If you love it, do it. Just go in, eyes open.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #14,173 of 145,644

DIY in your mind:

2. Assemble.
3. Get $1000 in performance for $120!

DIY in the real world:

2. Realize that you ordered the wrong parts, pay return shipping plus new parts, add $50.
3. Realize that hey, while you're at it, might as well upgrade some parts, add $250.
4. Get a good soldering iron, silver solder, flux, solder sucker, board cleaner, third hands, board cleaner, add $200.
5. Realize you need a dremel for a board mod that someone recommended on a DIY forum, purchase dremel, drill bits, grinding wheels, cutters, and add hot air rework station, nice Fluke meter, on-sale oscilloscope, and variac, add $1000.
6. Begin assembly. Realize you still have some wrong parts, so might as well get better ones, plus drawers to organize your parts, plus some more parts for A/B testing later, add $250.
7. Power on. Despite variac, the board smokes. Troubleshoot and buy more parts, plus another Fluke meter to measure current, plus a current-limited lab power supply, plus a function generator so you can visually tell if the circuit is working early in the game, plus a Flir One to see what's getting hot. Add $1,000.
8. Power on, it works. Spend a week swapping parts and listening. Oops, shorted something, board go boom. Spend an evening troubleshooting and replacing parts. Can't find it. Realize you need a 6.5 digit 4-wire bench meter...

And so on...

(Now, before I get eviscerated by the DIY crowd, I have to reiterate I have the utmost respect for DIY...and the lessons you learn while making your own stuff is invaluable. It just can't be thought of as cheap or easy, either in terms of budget or time. If you love it, do it. Just go in, eyes open.)

Haha, that sounds exactly like whenever I try and DIY anything... Probably why now I just buy Schiit instead :p 

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #14,175 of 145,644
Jason,

If it is ok to ask, how are you guys doing on Freya? Or are you too busy assembling Saga to worry about it. No pressure, just curious

Fair question.

Somewhat ironic answer: Freya (and one other product soon to be announced) is pushed back a week or so in order to keep Magni, Modi, and Jotunheim in stock. Sorry, but we can't go out of stock on core products in order to prioritize new releases.

However, we're not far out now. If you want one for Christmas, I'm sure we're still good.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back