Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #14,131 of 148,994
I'm pretty sure different tubes will change Saga's sonic flavor. The stock 6SN7's does sound almost indistinguishable to passive mode to my  ears which is probably why Schiit chose the 6SN7's as the default tube.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #14,133 of 148,994
i'm really a fan of tubes and plan on buying a Freya. I am using a Yggy with a Rogue Cronus Magnum II and it is terrific. 

Im wondering how good Schiit's tube implementation is. It looks like 4 tubes on the Freya and I don't think any of their amps
use 4 tubes,just two. 

The Rogue is accurate and not bloated but somewhere here said they could not tell the difference between passive and tubes on the 
Saga. That is concerning. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #14,134 of 148,994
  i'm really a fan of tubes and plan on buying a Freya. I am using a Yggy with a Rogue Cronus Magnum II and it is terrific. 

Im wondering how good Schiit's tube implementation is. It looks like 4 tubes on the Freya and I don't think any of their amps
use 4 tubes,just two. 

The Rogue is accurate and not bloated but somewhere here said they could not tell the difference between passive and tubes on the 

The Saga is using the single 6SN7 as part of a hybrid buffer. The Freya is using the four 6SN7's as a balanced gain stage, that will definitely impose more tube flavor than the Saga.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #14,137 of 148,994
  It won't be indistinguishable in every system. Some equipment is more sensitive to impedance than others.

Some tube amps are hybrids that have a low output impedance since the final stage is SS. Same for other tube kit. Most of the impedance related issues we hear about are when driving headphones.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #14,138 of 148,994

use 4 tubes,just two. 

I'm using a Cronus Magnum v1 and am struggling with the thoughg of how good a Freya will be. Problem is the amp part then. My thinking is be prepared to be disappointed if you try a SS Amp. I'll bet a Freya and Rogue Atlas Magnum or Stereo 100 would be a sweet setup.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #14,139 of 148,994
I'm using a Cronus Magnum v1 and am struggling with the thoughg of how good a Freya will be. Problem is the amp part then. My thinking is be prepared to be disappointed if you try a SS Amp. I'll bet a Freya and Rogue Atlas Magnum or Stereo 100 would be a sweet setup.

The Freya sounded mighty nice with a pair of Vidar's at RMAF.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #14,140 of 148,994
Vidar will be interesting.

Everyone expects Freya to smoke almost any preamp because preamps are pretty simple and the technology in Freya speaks for itself.

Now Vidar...will a pair of those running as mono blocks sound better than my Bryston 3BSST or other similar $5000 amps? That will be interesting indeed.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #14,141 of 148,994
Vidar will be interesting.

Everyone expects Freya to smoke almost any preamp because preamps are pretty simple and the technology in Freya speaks for itself.

Now Vidar...will a pair of those running as mono blocks sound better than my Bryston 3BSST or other similar amps? That will be interesting indeed.

I'm intrigued for similar reasons.  I have a Classe 2300 driving my B&W 802d3's.  Based on the tone of my Jotunheim, I've a completely irrational twinge to hear how two Vidar's would perform in its place.

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #14,142 of 148,994

Don't misunderstand me, I think that Freya and Vidar will be excellent products. The concern lies in being a Tube amp guy. If you like the sound it is awefully hard to go back to SS. I will probably try a Freya with a pair of Emotiva SS Monoblock amps to see. It may be down the road as I am saving for a pair of Salk Song 3 towers.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #14,144 of 148,994

Don't misunderstand me, I think that Freya and Vidar will be excellent products. The concern lies in being a Tube amp guy. If you like the sound it is awefully hard to go back to SS. I will probably try a Freya with a pair of Emotiva SS Monoblock amps to see. It may be down the road as I am saving for a pair of Salk Song 3 towers.

Ah, it was not clear to me that you were a fan of tube amps. In that case going back to SS amps would be a different proposition for sure. The again, I heard the Freya/Vidar's on Song 3's...

I am confident you will find the system that makes you happy, and that's what the game is all about!

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #14,145 of 148,994
And that is why I bought one. My fifth piece of Schiit. Modi I (which is having a hard time), Vali I, Mani, Saga and now Modi Multibit. Thank you for providing such a compelling, made in the USA, product portfolio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back