Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 18, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #14,101 of 145,769
Optional full sized remote milled out of a solid aluminum block.
wink.gif
 It would cost more than the amplifier, though. Haha. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #14,102 of 145,769
  Optional full sized remote milled out of a solid aluminum block.
wink.gif
 It would cost more than the amplifier, though. Haha. 

It doesn't need to be fancy, just be larger and have real buttons that will not easily wear out. The volume control is something I use at least 50 times a day. Way more than any other button on any remote in my house.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #14,103 of 145,769
I am fine with the remote. I am finding the difference with the tube buffer there is a very,very slight difference.....not enough to pick one or the other yet. The clicking doesn't bother me at all when i change the volume. Not really a breaker at all. This is Very clean piece of gear. I do prefer my Valhalla 2 sound wise as a preamp....I run a tube amp though. I am not finding any real loudness gain by going to the tube buffer on the SAGA. The SAGA is so worth the money....like double the price ! I have no complaints after 24 hours in. I do believe in break in,so i will give it a week or two before my final decision. I do know that it is NOT going back ! It is that good. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #14,104 of 145,769

The most annoying thing is the relay-based volume control.  It is great at channel matching, that's true.  But it clicks repeatedly every time you adjust the volume (loudly enough to hear across the room), which is annoying.  But once you have settled on a good listening volume, the advantage of the relay-based volume does shine.  It is very clear at all volume levels and the channel matching is impressive, even at low volumes.  If only there was a way to dampen the clicks when changing the volume.  Sigh...

Are you referring to the sound of the relay physically clicking, or are you talking about audible distortion when the attenuator moves between steps?

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #14,106 of 145,769
  I am fine with the remote. I am finding the difference with the tube buffer there is a very,very slight difference.....not enough to pick one or the other yet. The clicking doesn't bother me at all when i change the volume. Not really a breaker at all. This is Very clean piece of gear. I do prefer my Valhalla 2 sound wise as a preamp....I run a tube amp though. I am not finding any real loudness gain by going to the tube buffer on the SAGA. The SAGA is so worth the money....like double the price ! I have no complaints after 24 hours in. I do believe in break in,so i will give it a week or two before my final decision. I do know that it is NOT going back ! It is that good. 

Given that there is no voltage gain in the SAGA, it's not surprising that you don't hear any increase in loudness.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #14,107 of 145,769

I use a Valhalla 2 as a pre amp currently as well. I am happy you like the Saga and am Looking forward to your impressions. Which is why I was ecstatic When the 2 Channel Line Got Released. I Decided to go Freya In the Hopes when using the Tube option it would be along the Lines of the Valhalla 2.

Well, That Question Backfired. Chomping at the Bit for the Freya Drop Now.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #14,108 of 145,769

Are you referring to the sound of the relay physically clicking, or are you talking about audible distortion when the attenuator moves between steps?

It is the relay physically clicking.  It doesn't cause distortion when changing volume.

I will likely get used to it.  It isn't super loud, but can be heard clear across the room.  The main issue in terms of our setup is that it is located right next to the dining room table, so changing volume during a dinner party will be very audible.  But others are unlikely to have such a setup.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #14,109 of 145,769

It is the relay physically clicking.  It doesn't cause distortion when changing volume.

I will likely get used to it.  It isn't super loud, but can be heard clear across the room.  The main issue in terms of our setup is that it is located right next to the dining room table, so changing volume during a dinner party will be very audible.  But others are unlikely to have such a setup.

Is it any worse than the clicking on the Ragnorak? I remember trying that and being very impressed by how smooth the transition between each step was. I recall the knob being pretty quiet when you turn it by hand. Do you run into this problem both when using the remote control, and when turning the knob by hand?

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #14,110 of 145,769

Is it any worse than the clicking on the Ragnorak? I remember trying that and being very impressed by how smooth the transition between each step was. I recall the knob being pretty quiet when you turn it by hand. Do you run into this problem both when using the remote control, and when turning the knob by hand?

The Ragnarok is 64 Steps according the Schiit website. I believe Saga is as well. And the Freya 128 steps?

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #14,112 of 145,769
Yep Just remembered it was in the press release

Saga
Remote Passive/Active Preamp
  1. Relay switched stepped attenuator (64 steps) 
  2. Selectable passive or tube hybrid buffer operation
  3. Tube hybrid buffer uses 6SN7 tube and 200V rails
  4. 5 inputs, 2 outputs
  5. Full remote control
  6. Shipping October 2016 for $349
Freya
Balanced Remote Passive/Active Preamp
  1. Relay switched stepped attenuator (128 steps) 
  2. Selectable passive, JFET buffer, or tube gain operation
  3. Tube gain stage uses (4) 6SN7 tubes and 300V rail
  4. 2 balanced inputs, 3 SE inputs, balanced and SE outputs
  5. Full remote control
  6. Shipping October 2016 for $699

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #14,113 of 145,769

I have never had the opportunity to listen to a Ragnarok, so I can't comment.  The Saga clicks identically whether you are using the remote or turning the volume knob.

But I would say, don't get to hung up on this point.  I find it mildly annoying, but the sound quality coming out of the preamp is outstanding and makes up for a lot.

:)

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #14,115 of 145,769
Do 64 volume steps seem to be fine-grained enough, or are you wishing for 128 steps?

On balance, I wish I could afford a Freya instead. 

That out of the way, I have not found the 64 steps to be limiting.  Speaker systems are a little more forgiving regarding incremental volume changes, in my mind, than headphone systems.  I've been able to adjust the volume to my liking quite readily, without wishing for any intermediate steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back