Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #12,766 of 148,516

Now that would be a sight to behold! Nixie clocks tend to look a little tacky but some designs are actually pretty cool nowadays. I apologise for instigating the keyboard OT by the way, a lot of it is definitely my fault.

In other news, my Jotunheim should be arriving at my home toward the end of this week - excited to see how it fares compared to the MJ2, going to be cool to have a balanced amp at the office! RMAF can't come quick enough.

Other than the logistical problems (like, restarting Nixie tube production and building a new production line to make the all-new designs--since AFAIK no alphanumeric Nixie tubes were made), the 1/3W that most Nixie tubes draw might be a problem. You're looking at 35W or so in a 101-key keyboard, plus the losses in the power supply, so let's say 50W dissipation average, which would get you a keyboard that runs 25 degrees C or so above ambient temperature. And you might not want to spill the Dr. Pepper on it, since it will have a 170V power supply rail.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 19, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #12,767 of 148,516

Other than the logistical problems (like, restarting Nixie tube production and building a new production line to make the all-new designs--since AFAIK no alphanumeric Nixie tubes were made), the 1/3W that most Nixie tubes draw might be a problem. You're looking at 35W or so in a 101-key keyboard, plus the losses in the power supply, so let's say 50W dissipation average, which would get you a keyboard that runs 25 degrees C or so above ambient temperature. And you might not want to spill the Dr. Pepper on it, since it will have a 170V power supply rail.

I'd be good practice for grabbing that Asgard/Lyr volume knob.  Who needs fingerprints?  Haha.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #12,768 of 148,516
  Now that would be a sight to behold! Nixie clocks tend to look a little tacky but some designs are actually pretty cool nowadays. I apologise for instigating the keyboard OT by the way, a lot of it is definitely my fault.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #12,769 of 148,516

You're looking at 35W or so in a 101-key keyboard, plus the losses in the power supply, so let's say 50W dissipation average, which would get you a keyboard that runs 25 degrees C or so above ambient temperature.

Sounds like a great hand-warming solution for the northernmost locations. :)

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #12,770 of 148,516

In other news, my Jotunheim should be arriving at my home toward the end of this week - excited to see how it fares compared to the MJ2, going to be cool to have a balanced amp at the office! RMAF can't come quick enough.

I'd love to add a Nixie clock to my hoard.  I have a Numitron clock.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #12,771 of 148,516

:wink:

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #12,773 of 148,516

LOL that'd definitely be good times using a keyboard 25C above ambient temperature in Portugal during the Summer, thankfully we don't sell Dr. Pepper here. I didn't know they drew so much power though, kinda crazy, though I guess it is pretty logical.

I've never seen alphanumeric Nixie tubes either, wonder if any were ever made.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what your favourite headphones to use with the Mjolnir 2 (or in general) are - random thought that popped into my head as I'm currently listening to the $5 Monk Plus through my MJ2 and finding it hilarious how good they actually are, it's almost irritating as I truly cannot understand how these can sound the way they do for 5 dollars, maybe I'm only this dumbfounded because I've never owned proper (C)IEMs yet but still.

Man Im jealous, i got in on the second drop, should be here in november though!

I went in on the 2nd round too, either for the office or for my spouse to use at work. Rest assured you will not be disappointed, it's a fantastic keyboard, looks incredible and sports the only layout I feel even comes remotely close to the efficiency/ergonomics of the HHKB - which switches did you order?

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #12,774 of 148,516
  On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what your favourite headphones to use with the Mjolnir 2 (or in general) are

I think it's a Schiit's policy not to comment on the preferred headphones or any competitor hardware, etc...

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #12,777 of 148,516

I went in on the 2nd round too, either for the office or for my spouse to use at work. Rest assured you will not be disappointed, it's a fantastic keyboard, looks incredible and sports the only layout I feel even comes remotely close to the efficiency/ergonomics of the HHKB - which switches did you order?

I went with Browns, I'm boring.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #12,779 of 148,516

Google Optimus Maximus OLED keyboard.  It's been done.

On Amazon it's listed as "Currently unavailable" and if I'm not wrong, it's not by Google it's by Art Lebedev. We know that Schiit will be able to get them out. Hell with the OLEDs we want Tubes.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #12,780 of 148,516
  On Amazon it's listed as "Currently unavailable" and if I'm not wrong, it's not by Google it's by Art Lebedev. We know that Schiit will be able to get them out. Hell with the OLEDs we want Tubes.

Do an image search for it.  According to a friend who has one, the programming interface was difficult.  I think they are no longer made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back