Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #12,166 of 145,589
Just so you know guys, Schiit has explicitely said that they wouldn't make transducers. Mostly bacause there are so many good options available and because they don't want to hurt their relationehip with other audio companies.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #12,169 of 145,589
Class A Mono Block. Use two for a Stereo/2 Ch setup. Use an Av pre with 5 for 5.x or 7 for 7.x. I would be Fine with a Class A 2 Channel amp though. Most Amps in the Schiit Price range are Class AB or D. Asgard on Steroids Please.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #12,170 of 145,589
Has Jason hinted about these new power amps being monoblocks?

In a kinda old post from him, he said something about adding in the manual a warning about not stacking them. Stacking an amp with Yggy or the pre? maybe, but I guess there's a chance they will be a pair of monoblocks that for thermal reason shouldn't be stacked.

Am I crazy? be honest, I promise not to cry.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #12,174 of 145,589
I'm just awaiting Jason's next chapter relating the redaction of the [REDACTED], and why the Manhattan Project was such a good idea. Albert Einstein was against it.... 'nuff said.....   
blink.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #12,176 of 145,589
Just so you know guys, Schiit has explicitely said that they wouldn't make transducers. Mostly bacause there are so many good options available and because they don't want to hurt their relationehip with other audio companies.

Heheh, yeah I read Jason's comments on the subject of speakers - pretty much 'no, never'. Can't even imagine the difficulty of building speakers in Jason's speaker days - expensive modelling software to design them (or tonnes of trial and error), dusty MDF everywhere to build them, fiddly and expensive cross overs to design for them, setting up anechoic chambers to test them - on top of that they're already warehouse space restricted. That said Mike or Jason did mention on this forum that their new project is Yggdrasil level hard.

I can totally see Schiit producing an affordable Devialet Phantom style speaker though at some point. Speakers have come a long way since Jason's speaker building days - computer modelling makes design much quicker, there's less need for MDF, there are good quality plastics (or aluminium even) available. Integrated amplificiation and DACs are something Schiit already do. Main thing is - I don't see many companies (apart from Schiit, Emotiva or Elac maybe) who are able to look past HiFi conventions and build compact, quality and affordable active speakers. The prevailing wisdom amongst speaker manufacturers has always been No one will buy active - despite the many, many benefits to them.

Still - never say never. Have to adapt as the market changes. And if the hints Jason's been dropping are anything to go by it sounds like we'll be seeing some pretty surprising product categories from Schiit. I'm certainly enjoying watching Bentley level audiophilia taking a bit of a beating.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #12,177 of 145,589

I can totally see Schiit producing an affordable Devialet Phantom style speaker though at some point.

I wonder if something like this will ever come to be as well - that would be super interesting to me because I own a pair of Phantoms, I'd be very curious to see how close Schiit could get in terms of sound quality for a fraction of the price.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #12,178 of 145,589

I wonder if something like this will ever come to be as well - that would be super interesting to me because I own a pair of Phantoms, I'd be very curious to see how close Schiit could get in terms of sound quality for a fraction of the price.

Not to totally derail this thread but Devialet's Phantom apparently cost €25M in R&D. I borrowed a pair of them for a few weeks and found they were pushing into KEF Blade territory...

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #12,179 of 145,589

Not to totally derail this thread but Devialet's Phantom apparently cost €25M in R&D. I borrowed a pair of them for a few weeks and found they were pushing into KEF Blade territory...

I haven't read that particular review nor have I heard KEF Blades but I have auditioned several of Focal's 10-50k systems and especially considering the Phantoms are wireless, using Tidal hifi only because 99% of the time that's exclusively what I listen to at home, the difference was small enough to make me feel very good about owning the Devialet. They also handily beat LS50s that I borrowed, granted they are said to scale very well and my speaker amplification is fairly modest (for obvious reasons).

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #12,180 of 145,589
Active speakers, that's what I wanna see from Schiit. Something like KEF's LS50 but with built in amp and DAC. Blow the doors off every overpriced high end speaker out there and cater to the small apartment crowd (with current property prices that'd be pretty much every millennial living in a city!).

I think if KEF did make the LS50 active bi-amped, they would have a Focal studio killer on their hands. Seriously, they would compete with the high end active Genelecs and Focals. Well..as long as they were priced right. The LS50 is already the same price as some of those and they are passive. I don't know many studios that still run passive monitors, unless they have NS-10's or Aratones.

But that's all pro audio talk...

Countdown = 9 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back