Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #10,473 of 145,606

... ... ... staring at a long, long stretch of ennui in retirement.

It's nicer than you think. A lot nicer.

Sure, I enjoyed a lot of my working days, but not having made it to be a doctor, or an artist, or anything like a vocation, I was not under any illusions: If the fairy godmother had entered my life with regular credits to my bank account, there would never have been a day that I'd have been at work.

I've never even found it hard to do nothing. A dubious lesson from my mother: don't every be bored, don't mind having nothing to do! I didn't; I don't.

But hats off to you, and may you enjoy your work and business for ever more. Patently, if you went the way of the hedge guy, then, even though you'd still be the boss, you  might start regretting that you have to go to work.  You have more sense than to do that. I'm sure of that and glad of that.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #10,474 of 145,606
Yes, and bassheads have often been marginalized by audiophiles. To some audiophiles, bassheads are only about how hard a headphone can hit. They’re not discerning of the finer points of treble response. They (gasp) might not even listen to serious, acoustic music!

I take deep offense Mr Stoddard
eek.gif
eek.gif

As a self proclaimed basshead (and backer No 8 of the Kannons), my huge collection of trance is totally free of vocals and thus qualifies as acoustic.

"Shakes stick"

As someone in finance and having had a look at how a hedge fund works, you build a bridge, get across and then burn the bridge.

You dont think too much about it or else one day you might get left on the other side. Not for the faint hearted or the lily livered.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #10,476 of 145,606
As someone in finance and having had a look at how a hedge fund works, you build a bridge, get across and then burn the bridge.

So basically we're gonna get a bunch of guys together with imaginary money, convince a whole bunch more people to lend us their real money, we're gonna build a mother tuckin' Scrooge McDuck money bin on even more borrowed money, and then sell a gazillion tickets to a ton of people for a chance to swim in it. Then the first schmuck jumps in and breaks his neck, we go oopsie you didn't read the disclaimer, return all the borrowed money, then run off with the ticket sales and leave an empty money bin to collapse and harm the local bourgeoisie because it was only held together with pipe cleaners and duct tape anyhow.

The Beagle Boys finally did it...

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #10,478 of 145,606
I'm fairly new to headphone audio and Head-Fi. Only began in the last 6 months or so. I think I have a decent start going :)

Know why I picked Schiit equipment? Mostly, it's your fkn attitude :p Your product descriptions never fail to elicit a chuckle from me. And the so-called "Owner's Manual"? I want to collect them all!

Your website design is pleasing, your humor is infectious, the chassis designs are elegantly understated, the audio performance specs seem good (though admittedly, this is the weakest point of my knowledge).

And then there's "Made in USA", which is a HUGE bullet-point to me! If anyone tries to get you to move any part of the manufacturing overseas, tell 'em to go pound sand. And if you need to give them a kick in the posterior to drive the point home, I have a beat-up pair of old steel toe work boots I can send you.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #10,480 of 145,606
Hi Jason,

I have a question about your European distribution. I just heard from a friend who builds audio components in Germany that there is a big problem with regulations for vacuum tubes in hifi equipment. There is an European directive (the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive 2002/95/EC, RoHS 1that in principle prohibits to use lead in electronic components (I don't know about the details), but that makes an exception for lead in the glas of vacuum tubes. This exception seems to run out this June, and my friend says that all the companies, also the big ones like Fender, Marshall, Engl, Hugh, Kettner, or Macintosh, have missed the application deadline for an extension of the exception.

Are you aware of what is going on?

(This has nothing to do with the April fools prank http://www.musiker-board.de/threads/aprilscherz-keine-r%C3%B6hren-mehr.638129/, unfortunately).

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #10,482 of 145,606
So basically we're gonna get a bunch of guys together with imaginary money, convince a whole bunch more people to lend us their real money, we're gonna build a mother tuckin' Scrooge McDuck money bin on even more borrowed money, and then sell a gazillion tickets to a ton of people for a chance to swim in it. Then the first schmuck jumps in and breaks his neck, we go oopsie you didn't read the disclaimer, return all the borrowed money, then run off with the ticket sales and leave an empty money bin to collapse and harm the local bourgeoisie because it was only held together with pipe cleaners and duct tape anyhow.

The Beagle Boys finally did it...

Off topic but just Deutsche Bank alone has exposure of over 72 TRILLION, more than the entire World's GDP combined.

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #10,484 of 145,606

I take deep offense Mr Stoddard
eek.gif
eek.gif

As a self proclaimed basshead (and backer No 8 of the Kannons), my huge collection of trance is totally free of vocals and thus qualifies as acoustic.

"Shakes stick"

You dont think too much about it or else one day you might get left on the other side. Not for the faint hearted or the lily livered.

Uh, I think you mean instrumental, not acoustic.  Acoustic music means the majority of instruments used are acoustic.  Trance is a genre of electronic music.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #10,485 of 145,606

And for the really young, "acoustic" instruments are those with no need for electricity, the ones that vibrate real wood, metal or sinew to create sounds. The only way to make music after the zombie apocalypse runs its course...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back