Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #9,916 of 148,610

That silver button really amps up the classiness on that.  Has a bit of a Mark Levinson vibe so you can claim it cost $25,000 now.

Really, the silver accents make it beautiful.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #9,918 of 148,610
So, the anodized black is very consistent, very black. No blotches or irregularities at all. It looks very similar to my black Woo amps.
The screen printing is maybe, just maybe, a little 'softer' at the edges, not so you would comment but perhaps if compared side by side with a un-modified example you would see it. (But maybe you wouldn't as the grey on silver is hard to really make out).

Now the Bifrost is very small, and a simple one piece case, it's no Yggy. However I suspect that Schiit use the same quality of aluminium and screen printing on all their products so I don't see why anyone couldn't do this.

I wanted it black, so my line of reasoning was to give anodizing a try, and if it didn't work out as expected (horrible mess where screen printing was, blotches, not black etc.) I could just powder coat or paint it and never tell a soul. Turns out the re-anodizing in black worked really well, even better than I had expected as the screen printing is intact and it looks fantastic.

Of course, my components sit in a rack, out of harms way. As I said originally, I think Schiit made a very smart move sticking with silver across all their products. Many of them are desktop or somewhat move-able, probably not cosseted in a fancy rack. With a five year warranty and an internet of nitpickers, I think silver will look better longer for sure.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #9,919 of 148,610
  Cost was about 25USD. I was lucky to find a local place where I dropped off and picked up, so no shipping etc. Removing and re-fitting the case, whilst a little fiddly is very easy, just remove all the screws and slide off.
I was surprised the screen printing remained intact, I was prepared to lose it. 
Reason I wanted black is that this is in the living room, for both headphone and speakers, on a rack with all other items being black. 
I also added some different feet, black aluminium from ebay.

None of these changes effected the sound :wink:

How does the "local place" that did this work for you describe itself? As a metal finishing shop ?

Did the original front panel labeling survive the process, or did the shop have a way of re-applying it ?

I had no idea it was possible to get this kind of one-off thing done at very reasonable prices. Amazing. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #9,920 of 148,610
  Cost was about 25USD. I was lucky to find a local place where I dropped off and picked up, so no shipping etc. Removing and re-fitting the case, whilst a little fiddly is very easy, just remove all the screws and slide off.

Is it also anodized on the inside?

I know Schiit uses their metalwork as part of their heatsink. If they follow industry standard, then they are probably grounding to the chassis, too.

EDIT: Forgot to add: Looks very nice! Certainly gives me a better of idea of what to do if I want to turn my Schiit black. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #9,921 of 148,610
This https://medium.com/@ryanopaz/on-wine-a-tragedy-c6296b7968b1 just showed up in my Medium feed and resonates with the recent marketing thread, as well as with ongoing debates about who can hear which distinctions, especially among DACs.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #9,922 of 148,610

How does the "local place" that did this work for you describe itself? As a metal finishing shop ?

Did the original front panel labeling survive the process, or did the shop have a way of re-applying it ?

I had no idea it was possible to get this kind of one-off thing done at very reasonable prices. Amazing. 

Yes, a metal finishing shop specializing in anodizing and powder coating. Just walked in and asked if they could do me a small one off single piece.

All the labeling survived the process (no idea what that process actually was, I assume strip old silver anodizing and then re-anodize black. I don't know enough about either to know whether the screen print surviving is normal or not).

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #9,923 of 148,610
  Is it also anodized on the inside?

I know Schiit uses their metalwork as part of their heatsink. If they follow industry standard, then they are probably grounding to the chassis, too.

EDIT: Forgot to add: Looks very nice! Certainly gives me a better of idea of what to do if I want to turn my Schiit black. Thanks!

It is anodized completely black, all over, inside and out. I am pretty sure that as the original was silver anodized, that black will have the same heat sinking properties. 

Grounding the case, yes, good point. Not sure about that. Again I assume that as the original case was silver anodized then this will behave the same way. I suppose I could remove one of the screws and just make sure that there is a small amount of anodizing removed to ensure a ground between case and chassis, maybe the screws are a tight enough fit to do this anyway. It all works exactly as before so I think it is OK.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #9,924 of 148,610
Jan 24, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #9,925 of 148,610
  This https://medium.com/@ryanopaz/on-wine-a-tragedy-c6296b7968b1 just showed up in my Medium feed and resonates with the recent marketing thread, as well as with ongoing debates about who can hear which distinctions, especially among DACs.

My Schiit always sounds better after a bottle of wine. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #9,926 of 148,610

My Schiit always sounds better after a bottle of wine. 
beerchug.gif

Tito's Handmade for me. But not a bottle. I can't hear anything but the ringing in my ears after a bottle and my mouth feels like a cat Schiit in it.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #9,928 of 148,610
ps.  Sanders is up by 8 Points ( from polling data ), fingers crossed

Please be polite and leave the political out of this thread. I'm not here to read about it. You wouldn't want to see a comment about [pick your least favorite candidate on the other side] every few pages, even in a footnote would you?

Thank you.
Brian.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #9,929 of 148,610
Tito's Handmade for me. But not a bottle. I can't hear anything but the ringing in my ears after a bottle and my mouth feels like a cat Schiit in it.

You should find yourself a local craft distillery, if there are any at least. Tito's might be one of the better mass market vodka's, but it's still made from NGS, though many small "distilleries" do as well so ask for tours, which they usually love to give, and look for the giant tanks of NGS in the back.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #9,930 of 148,610
You should find yourself a local craft distillery, if there are any at least. Tito's might be one of the better mass market vodka's, but it's still made from NGS, though many small "distilleries" do as well so ask for tours, which they usually love to give, and look for the giant tanks of NGS in the back.

NGS?

I was a travel RN for years. I looked for what was available everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back