The future pre-decided​
Detached and subdivided​
In the mass production zone​
Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone"​

Rush​
Subdivisions​

LOL..Today appears to be the day of quotes for me. ​

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #9,812 of 149,016
Disastermouse, If you're at all interested in alternative governance models you might Google holacracy. 

OMG, I worked for those people.  Never thought it'd come up in a serious discussion.  (Sorry for the OT).

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #9,813 of 149,016
  I come from a middle class family. When i grew up, i didn't have a clear plan about what i wanted to do. All i knew that i would do whatever would make me the most money and hopefully enjoy it. I targeted having enough money and property with 10 years of working to ensure my financial independence. By the time i turned 15 or 16,  knew that the only way to do that was to become smart about 2 things; my chosen field and investing. While i could potentially earn a lot from my career, i also needed to invest in equity to earn from them too. So i chose an IT career specializing in AI and Robotics. At the same time i was looking for investment potential across industries. Got lucky with a couple of stocks, while i pretty much never lost money on any other stocks. Purchased some real estate later on and then flipped them for great returns. Reinvested them during the downturn here in 2013 in some stocks and they're worth far far more now. I will basically retire within a couple of years.

I have had a pretty good and satisfying career, but it never has been fulfilling. Maybe because of my father's experiences when he was growing up (he was almost always hungry), i always wanted to start a self sustaining organization to help poor families through education. I always felt that charity work was by definition damage control; that we are just dealing with symptoms than the cause. I and some of my friends have decided that we will be starting a self funded foundation targeting a few poor families at first. We will arrange that their kids get a good education while helping the parents find better jobs. We will also be looking after each family's insurance and investments to lock in the benefits. The families have to help each other at the same time while putting some money in the foundation's coffers. This is to ensure that we will be completely self funded to avoid interference from outside (read corruption).

This is my passion. This is what i want to do for the rest of my life.

Apologies if you're aware of all this:

The "poor" often have vastly different educational needs than what mainstream schools offer. Lots of pedagogical history here, and many alternative programs (e.g., Uncommon Schools, KIPP, etc.) have been attacking this for years.

Speaking from experience, your goals aren't always as easy as it's implied from your post (not suggesting you don't know the realistic hurdles, but I can't tell from your post). As a data point for your efforts, I suggest you research an organization called Year Up which began in Boston in 2000 by Gerald Chertavian. He borrowed organizational/program concepts heavily from another non-profit that I don't recall the name of, but Google will turn it up. 

Good luck, and PM me if you would like more background on Year Up and how it has grown from Boston to ten-plus other cities. Great that you're motivated to help!

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #9,814 of 149,016
Most of us have employment histories, and many have acquired some kind of a "management philosophy" as a result of our experiences and/or training.  

These are interesting, but we're beginning to drown out the Schiit Story, and this IS Jason's thread.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #9,815 of 149,016

Apologies if you're aware of all this:

The "poor" often have vastly different educational needs than what mainstream schools offer. Lots of pedagogical history here, and many alternative programs (e.g., Uncommon Schools, KIPP, etc.) have been attacking this for years.

Speaking from experience, your goals aren't always as easy as it's implied from your post (not suggesting you don't know the realistic hurdles, but I can't tell from your post). As a data point for your efforts, I suggest you research an organization called Year Up which began in Boston in 2000 by Gerald Chertavian. He borrowed organizational/program concepts heavily from another non-profit that I don't recall the name of, but Google will turn it up. 

Good luck, and PM me if you would like more background on Year Up and how it has grown from Boston to ten-plus other cities. Great that you're motivated to help!

I get what you're saying. Please refer to the post #9807, 3 posts above your own. The kids we are looking to help basically need remedial training to begin with. We have also spoken with educational counselors and child psychologists to identify the best ways to address these very issues.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #9,818 of 149,016
  Audioman,
   Have you read Mikes thread? He spent a few years in the Jungle with no hi fi gear in sight.Jason was/is in marketing
 I am in IT and veered of to do Mobile Audio for some time in between as well .So what? you get rusty, Nothing a little elbow grease and WD40 can't fix

I've read parts of it, but not all.  I'll get around to it eventually.  I'll see what comes my way.  I'm always trying to learn, so hopefully it pays off someday.

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #9,819 of 149,016

How about a deciMyriad?

Is that 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of a femtoinfinity, or significantly less?

Significantly less.  deci is 1/10.  Think deciBel.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #9,820 of 149,016
Off-topic question number 3793:  How does the noise floor of the Mjolnir 2 compare to the original Lyr?  I love my Lyr but with my MrSpeakers Ether-C headphones there is a quite noticeable hiss between tracks.  I did not notice this with the Alpha Dogs or Primes but Ether-C is much more efficient.  I'd like to stick with a tube amp so I thought I'd try the Mjolnir.

Has anyone (like someone from Schiit) compared the two?
    ​

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #9,821 of 149,016
  Off-topic question number 3793:  How does the noise floor of the Mjolnir 2 compare to the original Lyr?  I love my Lyr but with my MrSpeakers Ether-C headphones there is a quite noticeable hiss between tracks.  I did not notice this with the Alpha Dogs or Primes but Ether-C is much more efficient.  I'd like to stick with a tube amp so I thought I'd try the Mjolnir.

Has anyone (like someone from Schiit) compared the two?
    ​

Original Lyr is pretty noisy with efficient headphones. Both Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2 are 10-15dB down (at least) from that.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #9,823 of 149,016

Original Lyr is pretty noisy with efficient headphones. Both Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2 are 10-15dB down (at least) from that.

Excellent thank you for the input. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #9,824 of 149,016

Mr.Ableza,

I'm told the newer Lyr2 is using DC on the filaments ( does that suggest a "linear"power supply?), the Lyr 1st. Generation had AC on filaments.  The down-side is the Lyr2 no longer has the ability of using some of the high current filament tubes i.e. 6n1P.   
I'm only surmising this information, Schiit doesn't seem to spell this out. 
Atomicbob makes a big deal out of linear power supplies and low ripple. 

I gather the Valhalla 2 has sufficient energy to operate 4 tubes worth of filament including the high current types.  

Mr.rb2013 writes about the Lyr being sensitive to Tube performance, I understand he uses the it as a test fixture in evaluating and rating tubes .  

Overall, Schiit seems able to squeeze out every penny's worth of performance.  

Those "Liquid" lovers pay $3,000+ for the no-compromise amps, why does Cavalli keep changing the designs?.  

Tony in Michigan

ps.  my Minister Wife just bought an iPad, she's learned how to turn it on.  

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #9,825 of 149,016

Mr.Ableza,

I'm told the newer Lyr2 is using DC on the filaments ( does that suggest a "linear"power supply?), the Lyr 1st. Generation had AC on filaments.  The down-side is the Lyr2 no longer has the ability of using some of the high current filament tubes i.e. 6n1P.   
I'm only surmising this information, Schiit doesn't seem to spell this out. 
Atomicbob makes a big deal out of linear power supplies and low ripple. 

I gather the Valhalla 2 has sufficient energy to operate 4 tubes worth of filament including the high current types.  

Mr.rb2013 writes about the Lyr being sensitive to Tube performance, I understand he uses the it as a test fixture in evaluating and rating tubes .  

Overall, Schiit seems able to squeeze out every penny's worth of performance.  

Those "Liquid" lovers pay $3,000+ for the no-compromise amps, why does Cavalli keep changing the designs?.  

Tony in Michigan

ps.  my Minister Wife just bought an iPad, she's learned how to turn it on.  

+1 agree 100%.  The Lyr is almost a different new amp every time you roll tubes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back