Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 5, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8,536 of 145,617
As a for-example, there was a new product I was working on over the summer, with an exciting new topology (but not as exciting as what's coming in 2016). There were at least a dozen major design decisions that would affect its performance. The temptation, of course, is to take the high road in all cases. But when you're looking at a (very) cost-constrained product, with some serious limitations on space and heat, there are tradeoffs that have to be made. I took the high road in a couple of those cases, and ended up with a fairly insane level of performance for the product. Could it have been even better? Yes, at 3x the cost and in 6x the space. But that wasn't in the cards. 

(And, I think you'll see that new product before the end if the year)

Limitations on space and heat? Class-A somethingrather then, and space constraint? Asgard size or smaller probably. [[serious]] cost constraint, so.. Asgard, or even Magni-type thing.

What is it? Who cares! I just can't wait to read the FAQ!

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #8,537 of 145,617
I LOVE the Asgard 2, but I gotta say that if they could somehow kick the power output up about 50% while keeping it fully discrete, "Class A"  I would probably never use another amp. I can't imagine how they could do that without increasing the size of the case or adding extra heatsinks as it would get a good bit hotter as all real "Class A" gear will do. The guys at Schiit always seem to work wonders, so who knows? 

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #8,539 of 145,617
Something is coming though. Jason confirmed this. So if you are looking for an amp that costs less than Mjolnir 2 and more in the range of Asgard 2 -> Liquid Carbon pricing I think we should all just be patient and see what rolls out
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #8,540 of 145,617

There you go...as long as they're silent or you'd defeat the purpose of having a more powerful, fully discrete, "Class A" amp. I don't care if it heats the room like the old Krell's used to, I'll just crank up the AC. 

Maybe Jason will build his version of the Nelson Pass "The Beast with a Thousand JFET's" amp for headphone use...that may require a slightly larger case than the current Asgard 2.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #8,541 of 145,617
Head-Fi confessional and future product request:

Almost all my listening is through speakers, mostly because my wife and I like the same music and she feels left out if I don't have the speakers on, plus they sound really good so I don't mind at all. I'm still using an older, good quality AV receiver for my speaker amp but would love to see a new Schiit power amp for the "speaker heads" among us. Of course it would have to blow everything else out of the water at the same or higher price point, and it would need to have some magic Schiit mojo inside.

Jason, Mike, and Schiit design team: while you're designing this amazing new power amp please also do a Schiit preamp with remote control. I await these new products with bated breath. Please don't let me down!

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #8,542 of 145,617
Nov 6, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #8,544 of 145,617
Schiit power conditioners?

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #8,546 of 145,617
  Schiit power conditioners?

-I am very skeptical of the utility of power conditioners when paired with competently designed power supplies -that is, the power supply should be able to handle whatever the grid throws at it- but one power-related product I'd love to see Schiit make is a 16VAC transformer for the Magni/Modi/Mani in the same form factor - with multiple outputs. Say, rather than having three wall warts cluttering my power outlets, I could just put a Schiit Powah under the stack and use short jumper wires to power the little Schiit.

That would be a welcome addition, though I will be the first to admit I am not convinced it would be commercially viable.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #8,547 of 145,617

-I am very skeptical of the utility of power conditioners when paired with competently designed power supplies -that is, the power supply should be able to handle whatever the grid throws at it- but one power-related product I'd love to see Schiit make is a 16VAC transformer for the Magni/Modi/Mani in the same form factor - with multiple outputs. Say, rather than having three wall warts cluttering my power outlets, I could just put a Schiit Powah under the stack and use short jumper wires to power the little Schiit.

That would be a welcome addition, though I will be the first to admit I am not convinced it would be commercially viable.

Musical fidelity did something similar with their now defunct entry level line of equipment (V-can, V-dac, V-whatever).  You got a wall wart with each but could purchase a brick power supply with independent and isolated sources for up to five of their components.  It was a great idea but the whole line kinda fizzled.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #8,548 of 145,617
Musical fidelity did something similar with their now defunct entry level line of equipment (V-can, V-dac, V-whatever).  You got a wall wart with each but could purchase a brick power supply with independent and isolated sources for up to five of their components.  It was a great idea but the whole line kinda fizzled.

Because it was a ripoff. I'm using a $30 Pyramid PSU from Amazon with my V-DAC II just fine.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #8,550 of 145,617
  I had a V-Can first edition and was not impressed.  I still have it.  No one wanted to buy it then I lost the PSU for it.  Oh well.  It makes a nice conversation piece.

V-CAN was kind of meh. V-DAC is OK.

Their X series were great, though! I loved my X-24K DAC with X-PSU and X-CAN V3 amp... my first serious gear, which I happily used with HD600 for almost a decade.
That's before the Schiit bug bit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back