Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,226 of 145,649
May 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #6,227 of 145,649
It would only be responsible to point out that we are off-topic, and there is, in fact, a "Whiskey-Fi" thread.

Blanton's Single Barrel and believe it or not, I'm going to have to say that the ubiquitous Buffalo Trace is really, really good and priced so low you ought to pick up a bottle and check it out for yourself.
Buffalo Trace isn't bad, but I thought it was boring. My cheaper go-to whiskey has been Jim Beam Black.

May 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #6,228 of 145,649
It would only be responsible to point out that we are off-topic, and there is, in fact, a "Whiskey-Fi" thread.
Buffalo Trace isn't bad, but I thought it was boring. My cheaper go-to whiskey has been Jim Beam Black.

Yep, no worries...carry on, I'll check out that thread.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #6,229 of 145,649

Buffalo Trace is like HD600 — doesn't do anything wrong; great bang for the buck.

Jim Beam was sold to to a Japanese company; the Black no longer says "Aged 8+ years" and you can taste the difference in recent bottles.

May 7, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #6,231 of 145,649

How is it off-topic?  We now know the secret behind the world's most improbable start-up 
biggrin.gif

Also, thanks for the tip about that awesome thread.

May 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #6,233 of 145,649
Trying to drift ever-so-slightly back towards on-topic
smile.gif

Great article but I doubt you have to worry much about Springbank ... I suspect if you had found the distillery's maintenance supervisor to chat with, he might already have a Plan B.  "We had Belmar Engineering Services out from Aberdeen with their on-site, 3D laser measurement rig the last time we stripped the mill for cleaning and maintenance, and they can now machine me a replacement for anything that breaks with two weeks of turnaround."

Or Plan B might be, "Yes, I was worried about that when I took over from my father, but my #3 result on a Google search was http://www.csbellco.com/grist-mill-la-milpa-packages.asp, so I convinced our general manager to buy 2 (6, 10, whatever), which running in parallel give us enough capacity to keep distilling while we ship The Old Iron Lady off to Belmar for them to measure and fabricate repair parts."

Or something like that.

Laphroaig is my base, I don't think there has been a time since I was introduced to great whisky that it was the only one in the cabinet.  Sounds like a great vacation (I would have had trouble returning).

May 7, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #6,234 of 145,649
  Bourbon recommendations beyond Bookers and Willett? And rye?

I need to broaden my horizons.

Very nice, reasonably affordable.

Same as above.

The best.  Shouldn't even have posted this one, because you can't get it.  (And if you ever do, let me know!!)

Edit: After hitting Submit, I saw the post with the link to the Whiskey-Fi thread - thanks!

May 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #6,236 of 145,649
Welcome to the world of real whiskey. You might also want to try Kentucky Bourbon if you'd like to treat your taste buds.

(I have strong feelings against Jack Daniels.)

Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Kilchoman...Islay rules :D
Anyway, ordered my Modi 2 uber last sunday on Schiit Europe, but they don't have stock right know...becoming impatient !

Ali

Thanks for the tips! I'll see how they make my Lyr sound...

May 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #6,238 of 145,649
Agreed, that's usually where I stick to, but Springbank (especially Longrow, their own heavily peated one) is also worth a shot. Actually, there are a lot of them worth a shot.

And yep, Cadenhead is another of their brands. Longrow is most heavily peated, Springbank is in the middle, Cadenhead no peat. 

If you can find a early 90's Springbank 21, you're in for a treat.

Take a look (taste) at Highland Park. Incredibly good, sometimes peaty, sometimes not.
The best place in Europe for online whisky order is a Dutch site ( http://drankdozijn.nl/ ). Schiit Europe is also based in Netherlands. Coincidence ? I don't think so 
ph34r.gif

Ali

May 7, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #6,239 of 145,649

Very nice, reasonably affordable.

Same as above.

The best.  Shouldn't even have posted this one, because you can't get it.  (And if you ever do, let me know!!)

Edit: After hitting Submit, I saw the post with the link to the Whiskey-Fi thread - thanks!

Very nice...although that bottle of Pappy 23 is probably worth over $500.  You can get it - on the exchange.
Try a decent bourbon for $38 - Rowan's Creek.

May 7, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #6,240 of 145,649
You guys all gotta go out and find some small batch distilleries. Once I did like 3-4 years ago in the heart of Portland, I've never been able to go back to the stuff you can find at any liquor store.

My current favorite is JP Trodden, distilled in king county Washington

Burnside Bourbon from east side distilling in Portland is amazing for the money as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back