Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6,001 of 148,629
The budget minded might want to consider Fluance.

http://fluance.com/

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,002 of 148,629
  Just stick to headphones...... 
L3000.gif

That's in my cook's plans for me.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #6,004 of 148,629
  Hey,

Do you guys know any speaker company with the same Schiit philosophy? Ie, im paying money for good gear and not dealer commissions etc. Would be nice if their speaker pairs well with the Ragnarok as well.

Jon

Absolutley - and for 30 years:

Teufel.de english website: http://www.teufelaudio.com they started selling sets to build your own loudspeakers (like bottle head with their amps)

Problem, as far as I know they only ship within the European Union, Norway and Switzerland. You can try their stuff for 8 weeks and send it back if you are not happy. The warranty for their speakers is 12 years (!!) and they only do direct sales. In the german audio press they have won countless awards...

Outstanding quality and performance for the money - HOWEVER - they are not as funny as Schiit. But certainly as sincere, honest and down to earth.

By the way, they recently also got into headphones...

Example of their attitude:

Typically Teufel: Twice as good for half the price

Buy directly from the manufacturer and no one else.

Retail stores and distributors earn money by making products available to you. This service – along with all the overhead it involves such as shop rent and personnel - is reflected in a higher price. 
That’s why you won’t find Teufel loudspeakers in your typical electronics store. We sell our products directly to our customers and pass the savings on to them. This is a big advantage to our customers, of course. The disadvantage is that the product cannot be heard, seen up close, or held before purchase. 

But in typically Teufel fashion, we’ve turned an apparent disadvantage into an advantage. Isn’t it better to hear a speaker system in your own four walls with your own music and movies? After all, the system needs to match the acoustic conditions and size of your room and sound preferences, not those found in a store. That’s why Teufel offers an eight week trial period during which time the product can be returned for a full refund.

Check out the other advantages to buy from them here: http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/benefits.html

Typcially Teufel: At your service

Reaping the benefits of experience.

When a customer calls Teufel, he or she is put in touch with a knowledgeable employee in our customer service department. Whether the question concerns an existing system or a planned purchase (Stereo or surround? Soundbar or 5.1 system?), our customer service professionals are equal parts problem solvers and audio consultants. As valued employees, many of whom have been with the company for years, they understand Teufel products and are perfectly positioned to help and advise. Along with our products, this wealth of experience and information is our most valuable asset. That why we’ve bucked the trend of streamlining and automating our customer service department. In fact, we’re doing just the opposite by nurturing and investing in this important knowledge base, because there’s just no substitute for someone who knows exactly what he or she’s talking about.

and so on....

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #6,005 of 148,629
http://www.ascendacoustics.com

Some think their Sierra-2's are in the same league as the KEF's

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2/srm2.html

JJ

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #6,007 of 148,629
Powered monitors are a good speaker alternative for a typical headphone user with a DAC and a headphone amp. For example, the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s got a nice review @ Stereophile.

Schiit Sys would perfectly serve such a system.

The original question was about speakers for the Ragnarok which has 100 watt outputs for conventional speakers. Just sayn'

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6,008 of 148,629
Another vote for Fritzspeakers. I own a pair, love them. Fritz is one of the good guys. We'd never met. He drove up from LA (I'm near San Francisco) and personally delivered a pair to demo. We hung out for a couple of hours trying them out. I was going to cut him a check when he left, and he says nah, make sure you like them, then mail me a check.

Similar model of direct only as Schiit. Where Schiit is a polished web presence, Fritz is a one man show. His speakers sound great and are lovely though.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,010 of 148,629
  Hey,

Do you guys know any speaker company with the same Schiit philosophy? Ie, im paying money for good gear and not dealer commissions etc. Would be nice if their speaker pairs well with the Ragnarok as well.

Jon

I bought 2 speakers from Salk Sound, a small company/factory in Michigan that will build to order if you want something special. No advertising or middlemen so you deal directly with the factory. Salk's sound has been compared by "goldenears" to speakers costing much more. I'm extremely happy with mine, the Veracity HT-2TL model. The less expensive Songtowers get rave reviews too. Highly recommended by me, not just for the sound but for customer service as well. Happy customers abound at AudioCircle.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #6,011 of 148,629

I bought 2 speakers from Salk Sound, a small company/factory in Michigan that will build to order if you want something special. No advertising or middlemen so you deal directly with the factory. Salk's sound has been compared by "goldenears" to speakers costing much more. I'm extremely happy with mine, the Veracity HT-2TL model. The less expensive Songtowers get rave reviews too. Highly recommended by me, not just for the sound but for customer service as well. Happy customers abound at AudioCircle.

I might have to check them out, being a Michigander and all. Still love my ls50's to death though.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6,012 of 148,629

The original question was about speakers for the Ragnarok which has 100 watt outputs for conventional speakers. Just sayn'

He also said a company similar to Schiit; great products that are, wait for it, AFFORDABLE. The product prices for the companies so far are pretty outrageous. Even for a $1700 amp. I for one am interested in Schiity companies that offer affordable powered monitors as my budget cannot reach Ragnarok at this point (I'll be lucky to obtain JBL or Mackie). Besides, who says you can't use powered monitors with Ragnarok? Not to mention Emotiva makes passive speakers as well and seem to be the Schiitiest of the companies listed so far. I say the more options the better. Just sayn'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back