Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #4,712 of 149,079
Didn't Amazon almost put tons of dealers out of work by selling their products for $0,01 due to price algorithm screw up like a month ago?

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #4,713 of 149,079
  [...]
I have to give Schiit a ton of credit. They're like Apple without Apple prices. 

I would dare to say, that they are like Apple, including the prices.

Hear me out: they sell nicely designed, great products they believe in, at a fair price.

(You don't think they've got a good margin on their schiit? I do - they should! I call that sustainability.)

Edit: Oh, and I looooove my Schiit M&M stack, as well as my Bifrost Über & Asgard 2.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #4,714 of 149,079

Hear me out: they sell nicely designed, great products they believe in, at a fair price.

(You don't think they've got a good margin on their schiit? I do - they should! I call that sustainability.)

Edit: Oh, and I looooove my Schiit M&M stack, as well as my Bifrost Über & Asgard 2.
Yeah...no. Apple designs "great" (subjective term) products, and they sell them at a higher price because of that design. Schiit sells well designed products without that higher price because the design is meant to keep the costs down. Keeping the costs down allows them to build them here instead of overseas (something Apple does), and Schiit can still sell at lower prices.

Now if you want to talk merits of Apple, we can have a healthy conversation. Heck, I'll defend iPhones openly, and I'll admit that there is something nice about having all the hardware and software walk hand-in-hand. However, you can always find products with better, faster hardware for the same or lower prices. That makes calling Apple prices "fair" a bit difficult.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #4,715 of 149,079
Yeah...no. Apple designs "great" (subjective term) products, and they sell them at a higher price because of that design. Schiit sells well designed products without that higher price because the design is meant to keep the costs down. Keeping the costs down allows them to build them here instead of overseas (something Apple does), and Schiit can still sell at lower prices.

Now if you want to talk merits of Apple, we can have a healthy conversation. Heck, I'll defend iPhones openly, and I'll admit that there is something nice about having all the hardware and software walk hand-in-hand. However, you can always find products with better, faster hardware for the same or lower prices. That makes calling Apple prices "fair" a bit difficult.

Please, comparing with Apple always ends in tears (thread wise) and brings out the worst of fanboism on all sides. Let's talk about Schiit.

I think their design is cool, utilitarian and, if done a tiny bit more polished, would go through as Dieter Rams inspired. A clear functional approach. They have presence and don't look out of place in an office or a home setup. Like my steampunk Bottlehead Crack :wink:

I can't wait to replace my current Nuforce icon HDP/Schiit Asgard (original) with the Modi2 Uber/Magni2 Uber (need the juice for the Planars).

Cheers,
K

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #4,716 of 149,079
  Schiit has good customer service and takes care of people but most online companies and websites don't, and that's pretty much accepted fact. If Schiit didn't have such an amazing (well-deserved) reputation on head-fi, I probably wouldn't have trusted them enough to buy direct since I was basically going out on a limb. But as Jason stated, on Amazon, the consumer is taking zero risks. 

I fully agree with your comment on Schiit customer service.

I can't agree with the 'going out on a limb' part, though.  If you ordered with your credit card and anything went wrong the credit card company would have reimbursed you so you have zero risk.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #4,717 of 149,079

There are other places to discuss Apple - i.e. not here.
But I do think that the basics are alike. Both companies want to sell great products to their customers and charge a fair price. (We'll skip the part about Apple having fair prices.)
To me fair means being able to have a healthy margin, thus becoming sustainable.

Please, comparing with Apple always ends in tears (thread wise) and brings out the worst of fanboism on all sides. Let's talk about Schiit.

I think their design is cool, utilitarian and, if done a tiny bit more polished, would go through as Dieter Rams inspired. A clear functional approach. They have presence and don't look out of place in an office or a home setup. Like my steampunk Bottlehead Crack :wink:

I can't wait to replace my current Nuforce icon HDP/Schiit Asgard (original) with the Modi2 Uber/Magni2 Uber (need the juice for the Planars).

Cheers,
K

I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe Dieter Rahms would like the Schiit design, who knows? He did say that good design is as little design as possible...

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #4,719 of 149,079
Agree with the majority of the post except the return policy rant. The whole point of Amazon and Prime is to make purchasing hassle free both ways. That is why I pay Amazon $100/year for the Prime service. Amazon has never tried to hide their liberal return policy and this is why they are Amazon. Same thing when you shop at Nordstrom. They pride themselves on their return policy and this is why a lot of people only buy at Amazon. You guys obviously knew this before deciding to list your gear on Amazon and it's the nature of the beast if you want to be on the dance floor with the 8000lb gorilla.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #4,720 of 149,079
Agree with the majority of the post except the return policy rant. The whole point of Amazon and Prime is to make purchasing hassle free both ways. That is why I pay Amazon $100/year for the Prime service. Amazon has never tried to hide their liberal return policy and this is why they are Amazon. Same thing when you shop at Nordstrom. They pride themselves on their return policy and this is why a lot of people only buy at Amazon. You guys obviously knew this before deciding to list your gear on Amazon and it's the nature of the beast if you want to be on the dance floor with the 8000lb gorilla.

Would you agree with 22 returns per year, including serial returns of the same products? From one person? That's the kind of thing we're talking about.

There are people who use the return system for what it's designed for. And then there are those who use it as a rental service.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,721 of 149,079
I was always under the impression that Amazon would close customer accounts that had too many returns. Have they gotten more liberal over the years?

http://slickdeals.net/f/908910-mass-closing-of-amazon-accounts-by-amazon?sduid=0&highlight=amazon

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #4,722 of 149,079
  I was always under the impression that Amazon would close customer accounts that had too many returns. Have they gotten more liberal over the years?

http://slickdeals.net/f/908910-mass-closing-of-amazon-accounts-by-amazon?sduid=0&highlight=amazon

I'm sure it may happen *eventually,* but I suspect that it'll raise a red flag much sooner if it's a big company with products actually sold by Amazon, rather than FBA or seller-fulfilled.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,723 of 149,079

Perhaps they do, but they have several million accounts, one cannot expect them to monitor every single one of them. Some rotten apples are sure to evade detection. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,724 of 149,079
Would you agree with 22 returns per year, including serial returns of the same products? From one person? That's the kind of thing we're talking about.

There are people who use the return system for what it's designed for. And then there are those who use it as a rental service.

Something like that would get flagged by their system rather quickly. Did you guys file a complaint with Amazon?

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #4,725 of 149,079
  I can't agree with the 'going out on a limb' part, though.  If you ordered with your credit card and anything went wrong the credit card company would have reimbursed you so you have zero risk.

Yes, credit cards reduce risk to, as far as I can tell, petty much zero.  Even implying a charge back usually resolves issue very quickly.  Writing a documented letter to the cc bank is work, but they will charge back.  Only done it once in more than 20 years, but it seems to work reliably.  As you know, not the cc bank's money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back