Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #4,652 of 148,616
I was actually being sarcastic.

-I figured as much, but gratefully grasped the opportunity to elaborate a little on what I thought... :)

Turns out a colleague of mine is the happy owner of a Schiit stack, by the way - so next week I'll get to try out Asgard and Bifrost... I am really looking forward to it!

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #4,653 of 148,616
-I figured as much, but gratefully grasped the opportunity to elaborate a little on what I thought... :)

Turns out a colleague of mine is the happy owner of a Schiit stack, by the way - so next week I'll get to try out Asgard and Bifrost... I am really looking forward to it!

No problem, no offense taken!

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #4,655 of 148,616
I used to do credit for a bank and met a lot of self employed folks with interesting backgrounds and income sources.

Looking for investors.
biggrin.gif
 I've got a hot real estate deal going near Alice Springs, The only downside is this huge rock smack dab in middle of things. 
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,658 of 148,616
The rock and it's surroundings are Protected Land but my buddy here can arrange a title for the land for you for a few bucks extra.

I'll trade you for some prime Florida swamp land and I'll even throw in a Modi 1, so I can upgrade it to a rev 2 Uber.  As long as I can rename the rock to Uluru.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #4,661 of 148,616
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/4635#post_11179799

All good points JJ.  

And, while I don't subscribe to the burn-in theory, if true believers shared both their good and bad experiences, it may help convert non-believers or at least make us a bit more open minded to the idea that burn-in may exist since, in your experience, it doesn't always result in a product sounding better.  

I am also open to the idea that maybe things just work differently over in West Seattle than they do in Phinney Ridge...
wink.gif

Chris

Well being 'on the ridge' and all, it might just be the rarefied atmosphere, or sumpt'n 
atsmile.gif

I too wasn't 'convinced' either as I tried this cable and that one and different parts here and there.
Until I hit a lick, so to speak, and then started tracking the sound of my system thru time and noticing patterns.

When I started I must have tried nearly 10 cables, all with very minimal, or no, or detrimental sonic changes.

Then I tried this 'magical' duplex receptacle and it's been all down hill ever since… 
atsmile.gif

But the cumulative effect is what unleashes wholey new sonic attributes, ones that are enthralling and compelling.
But once a threshold is reached, break in becomes much more obvious and recognizable.
And it isn't always better.  
Sometimes the sound heads into the toilet, only to later rebound back with better resolution, more inner details, more and tighter bass etc.

At least that's what I've experienced and have come to know.

JJ

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #4,662 of 148,616
  Well being 'on the ridge' and all, it might just be the rarefied atmosphere, or sumpt'n 
atsmile.gif

I too wasn't 'convinced' either as I tried this cable and that one and different parts here and there.
Until I hit a lick, so to speak, and then started tracking the sound of my system thru time and noticing patterns.

When I started I must have tried nearly 10 cables, all with very minimal, or no, or detrimental sonic changes.

Then I tried this 'magical' duplex receptacle and it's been all down hill ever since… 
atsmile.gif

But the cumulative effect is what unleashes wholey new sonic attributes, ones that are enthralling and compelling.
But once a threshold is reached, break in becomes much more obvious and recognizable.
Sometimes the sound heads into the toilet, only to later rebound back with better resolution, more inner details, more and tighter bass etc.

JJ

What.......the 
basshead.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #4,663 of 148,616
atsmile.gif

atsmile.gif

JJ

Perhaps somewhere inbetween you had a cold. A little sniffle can affect the way we hear. I had a cold last week and nothing sounded right.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #4,665 of 148,616
  Perhaps somewhere inbetween you had a cold. A little sniffle can affect the way we hear. I had a cold last week and nothing sounded right.

Well that scenario would seem to fit the description, except for the part where the focus got better afterwards and continued to improve…

But no, I didn't have a cold.

Which does raise an interesting point…
I have noticed that there seems to be a 'threshold' where once reached, the cumulative effects of removing 'choke points' becomes more and more involved, more and more obvious and more and more beneficial…
By that I mean, the net results of these changes become more extensive and with the lessening of these choke points the cumulative effects are greater and much more noticeable.

For me the threshold was reached when I made power cables (bottlehead power cable kit) and then replaced the duplex receptacle with a 'treated' unit.  This then led to experimenting with cryo treatments and then to cooking the cables, etc., etc.

IOW once I found and improved those first major choke points and heard not only a change but a decided improvement in SQ, the race was on. So once my systems threshold was 'crossed', THEN I could pursue ancilliary avenues of experimentation, because now I could hear changes.
Which has led me to fuses and a dedicated ac power run just for my audio system etc.

And all of my experimentation has been aimed at ac power delivery improvements.  The what, and why, and how, of them.
And currently I am taking measurements of my ac power ditribution system within my home and will be correlating them with the SQ of my system.

The next question then becomes will any of this information apply to anyone else?
And the answer is, it depends.

All of this is a DIY approach to learning about what does and doesn't improve the SQ of our systems.
If there is insufficient curiosity to explore these aspects of our audio systems then clearly the answer would be no.

But for me the answer is clearly yes.  And the resultant improvements are wonderous, which provides the impetus to continue to explore these avenues of discovery.

YMMV

JJ :thumb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back