Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,096 of 148,575
I guess my post really only applies to portable amps. Perhaps based on Jason's brief description on the class, I can see why there isn't much to be said or marketed for this type of amp in a desktop or larger setup.

May 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,097 of 148,575
So does that mean that a "Mjolnir with tubes" is never going to happen?

frown.gif

May 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,098 of 148,575
  I guess my post really only applies to portable amps. Perhaps based on Jason's brief description on the class, I can see why there isn't much to be said or marketed for this type of amp in a desktop or larger setup.

I've seen such amps in big stereo, though. It's also popular in car audio, where you want some crazy power in compact enclosure.

May 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,099 of 148,575

I'm pretty sure there are many solid class D designs out there, but this is a "no-go" for most audio purists, including me. 
biggrin.gif

I'm really curious about those Hypex NCores though...

May 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,100 of 148,575
Seeing or rathering feeling the warmth off that pre production Mjolnir in LA at that meet certainly educated me on the qualities of emissivity and thermal dissipation quite well.

Also why I affectionately call the amps coffee warmers.

Also, you're still attending THE show next week correct? If so I'll have a couple of gifts for Schiit made up by then.

May 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,101 of 148,575
  [snip] Supersymmetry. This is a patented Nelson Pass topology that is inherently balanced, and has a fundamental simplicity that is very appealing.

Would you consider making such a HP amp under a NP license at some point?  You could call it Valknut or Triquetra or something...

May 21, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,102 of 148,575
I only understood about 1/10 of what you were talking about.... but I dam near pissed myself laughing...from the following comment from Mike.

“Circlotron?” Mike asked doubtfully. “Isn’t that something that only 6 people in the world know how to do, and even then they have to chant incantations and swing dead chickens over their heads to make them work?”

Great story....   It has been an awesome read thus far...

OOK

May 21, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #1,104 of 148,575
There is a tube circlotron pre amp made by Atma sphere which MIGHT be suitable for headphone duties, the MP1.  But it costs over 10 grand, and not actually designed explicitly for headphones and needs an adaptor...otherwise, prior to Schiit, there is nothing out there. 

May 21, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,105 of 148,575
“Circlotron?” Mike asked doubtfully. “Isn’t that something that only 6 people in the world know how to do, and even then they have to chant incantations and swing dead chickens over their heads to make them work?”

Wait, I thought that was something all engineers had to do to make anything work. It certainly feels that way to me sometimes...

May 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #1,106 of 148,575
Wait, I thought that was something all engineers had to do to make anything work. It certainly feels that way to me sometimes...

Certainly feels like that at my workplace most of the time, even though the work is hardly technical and none of us are engineers (apart for me being student.)

May 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,107 of 148,575
Wow!!! my head is spinning. My background is as a chemistry teacher (retired) so beyond series/parallel DC circuits it get challenging for me BUT by not watering down  your descriptions of the electronic theories is you showing respect for us THANKS. The more I read this chapter the more I learn and a few vodka shots help clear up a few things

May 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,109 of 148,575
  Still, barf.

Interesting.  As a Hypex NCore owner (NC400 first then to NC1200 Based) I couldn't be more happy with an amp purchase.  Ever.  I've had Pass, Clayton, A-S....

The Hypex Class D is unlike any other.  Subjectively and most importanlty (IMO) objectively they're superb.  

As an engineer myself, I have mad respect for you but comments like the above are odd to me.  Perhaps you haven't put the effort into understanding what Bruno has done with them?  

May 22, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,110 of 148,575

Still, barf.

Interesting.  As a Hypex NCore owner (NC400 first then to NC1200 Based) I couldn't be more happy with an amp purchase.  Ever.  I've had Pass, Clayton, A-S....

The Hypex Class D is unlike any other.  Subjectively and most importanlty (IMO) objectively they're superb.  

As an engineer myself, I have mad respect for you but comments like the above are odd to me.  Perhaps you haven't put the effort into understanding what Bruno has done with them?  

You got me interested.. The SNR of 101 dB unweighted 2.8 vrms makes me think it could be usable for hard to drive headphones as well as speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back