Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #10,501 of 149,185
  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-8394?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CMSk2bPipcwCFQ5qfgodKYACYA

I guess it depends on how it attenuates the signal - no point in putting something non-fi in a good signal chain. Maybe a remote using something like a 
PGA2311 (or better) would be OK.

Edit:
MCM manual spec: 
Max. input level/impedance: 1.65 V /47 kΩ
Max. output level: 2 V
Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
S/N ratio: >90 dB   
THD: 0.2 %  
eek.gif

Not that we care about specs (?), but standard DAC out is > 1.65V 
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #10,503 of 149,185
I require but a pair o' VU meters on a Vali 2.  Call it Vali of the Toad or Vali 3  if that suits marketing better.. VU meters are classic and add a touch of bespoke to audio components. 

For a visual think Luxman not Yorx.   "Sigh"...Dare I?  A  VU metered Valhalla 3 would be a feastival for the ocular and aural senses.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #10,504 of 149,185
If you do decide to offer a preamp can you please have a remote control, at least for volume? Being in a wheelchair makes it more difficult to change the volume between albums, if the phone rings etc.

Thanks

Something like this might help. They're a German company, but if they're not available in the US I'd guess that there is a local manufacturer that has an equivalent. A chat with a music instrument store should clear that up. It's not too expensive, £40-60 in the UK. Shure and others make wireless alternatives but they're much more expensive, not surprisingly.

http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring/mini-body-pack-xlr-oder-klinken-eingang.html

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #10,505 of 149,185
Yuck.  I can think of nothing I'd rather never see again than VU meters.  To each his own, of course, but I tired of watching swinging analog needles or bouncing LEDs many years ago.  The fewer indications the better as far as I'm concerned.  The Yggdrasil has too many LEDs on it now (thank goodness they can be taped over.)

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #10,507 of 149,185
  I require but a pair o' VU meters on a Vali 2.  Call it Vali of the Toad or Vali 3  if that suits marketing better.. VU meters are classic and add a touch of bespoke to audio components. 

For a visual think Luxman not Yorx.   "Sigh"...Dare I?  A  VU metered Valhalla 3 would be a feastival for the ocular and aural senses.

No thanks, I'd rather pay for sound quality than pretty lights. If I feel the need for visuals, JRMC has plugins.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #10,508 of 149,185
  Yuck.  I can think of nothing I'd rather never see again than VU meters.  To each his own, of course, but I tired of watching swinging analog needles or bouncing LEDs many years ago.  The fewer indications the better as far as I'm concerned.  The Yggdrasil has too many LEDs on it now (thank goodness they can be taped over.)

That's fine.  It is not as though one would have to stare into or at them for eternity but I can see your point.  At least you did not make the claim that they would add noise and thereby destroy your ability to enjoy the music.

The Toad

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #10,509 of 149,185
  That's fine.  It is not as though one would have to stare into or at them for eternity but I can see your point.  At least you did not make the claim that they would add noise and thereby destroy your ability to enjoy the music.

The Toad

That sort of claim would indicate foolishness.  :)

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #10,510 of 149,185

No thanks, I'd rather pay for sound quality than pretty lights. If I feel the need for visuals, JRMC has plugins.

Okay.  These are far from PLLs (Pretty Little Lights) and are functional within boundaries.  I suspect the sound quality of any of Schitt's equipment is nigh on indiscernible from one another by the human ear but not outside the limits of individual imagination or ego.

Thee Toade

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #10,512 of 149,185
  That's fine.  It is not as though one would have to stare into or at them for eternity but I can see your point.  At least you did not make the claim that they would add noise

If it involves a display, then yes, you'll hear such claims. Jason has already indicated no Schiit gear includes displays partly because they add hard to mange GHz noise inside their DACs/amps. If you're hoping for such a display, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #10,513 of 149,185

...  I suspect the sound quality of any of Schitt's equipment is nigh on indiscernible from one another by the human ear but not outside the limits of individual imagination or ego.

If I understand what you are saying (?) I suggest you have a chat with someone who has upgraded their DAC to multibit.

OR, try it for yourself...

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #10,514 of 149,185

If it involves a display, then yes, you'll hear such claims. Jason has already indicated no Schiit gear includes displays partly because they add hard to mange GHz noise inside their DACs/amps. If you're hoping for such a display, I wouldn't hold my breath.

If a VU meter somehow adds enough noise to the music then perhaps there is something seriously wrong with the device's design.  But my ears are not those of a god.  Not even a minor one, and I have always stated that if someone claims to hear a difference in equipment that is more than reasonably beyond our range of hearing or (especially so) if it is totally subjective (i.e., a "blossoming, fuller, richer, more textured layerizificationing of the soundstage") then that is the difference for them alone.  As I said, the individuals imagination or ego is what I would suspect.  Double blind and prove it or just claim it as your own experience. I don't listen to equipment.  I do, however, look at my equipment.  If it is pleasing to my eyes, so much the better.

I have Grace Digital Encore and Logitech Squeezebox radios., both of which have nice looking color displays.  I have yet to hear anything other than music coming from them.

Not equipping an amp with VU meters does not mean I will never own a Schiit  headphone amp.  Schiit's products are nice looking as they now sit.  As to their equipment, I have only listened to music at the Schiit Show and could not tell a difference between any of the equipment.   I just heard music.  

I think that is what they intended us to hear.  Music.  Not equipment.

Thanks!

The Toad

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #10,515 of 149,185
  If I understand what you are saying (?) I suggest you have a chat with someone who has upgraded their DAC to multibit.

OR, try it for yourself...

I have listened to a music through a couple of different Schiit amps and to be honest, all I heard was music.  In fact, the exact same music.  And it all sounded great!  To me, a Valhalla 2 looks a whole lot better than does an Asgard 2.  But as with what one hears, what one sees is just as subjective to one's desires.  Our likes and dislikes, if you will.

I refuse to strain at an Op-Amp only to swallow a 6N1P.  If my budget allows me to purchase something that delivers the goods while looking (to my eyes) better, then I am only too happy to do so. 

My difference is quite often visual in nature and I am only too happy to admit that it is a highly subjective one.

The Toad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back