Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 24, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #101,732 of 149,137
re: Roon 2.0 requiring an always-on Internet connection. I have read on the Roon forum that a lot of people don't like this. It is of course a requirement for their new ARC infrastructure to work, which is why they programmed it this way. The Roon designers are aware that not everyone cares about ARC (me being one of those) nor does everyone want to be connected to the Web all the time (and indeed, many can't be.) We should expect a revision to Roon 2.0 to be released in the next few months.

This sort of issue is more fuel for the Jason Stoddard-stated flame of "Schiit doesn't want to be in the software business."

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #101,733 of 149,137
My son enjoys his far more than did I when it was mine. He says the music is superb and it looks great.

Mine found a grateful home as well, I changed out gear a lot but I will be getting away from that fairly soon, just a few more items to go.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #101,734 of 149,137
IMG_4368.jpeg

Isn’t it funny that there’s this thing curled up next to me on my desk that has its own personality and wishes and fears and humor and moods and dreams and tastes and all that? It’s like an entire universe, but concentrated into a tiny snoring ball of fur.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #101,736 of 149,137
re: Roon 2.0 requiring an always-on Internet connection. I have read on the Roon forum that a lot of people don't like this. It is of course a requirement for their new ARC infrastructure to work, which is why they programmed it this way. The Roon designers are aware that not everyone cares about ARC (me being one of those) nor does everyone want to be connected to the Web all the time (and indeed, many can't be.) We should expect a revision to Roon 2.0 to be released in the next few months.
I hope Roon will change the requirement for persistent internet. While it likely won't be a big deal for me, for some it will be a deal breaker.

Darko posted a video that somewhat addressed the Roon issue. After contacting Roon he was told that the requirement for persistent internet had something to do with new features that require "cloud computing" to be fully functional. Roon expects to gain more users by adding new features than they expect to lose by requiring a constant internet connection. I'm poorly paraphrasing but here's the video.

Start at about 9:50 or the "ARCgate" segment-

This sort of issue is more fuel for the Jason Stoddard-stated flame of "Schiit doesn't want to be in the software business."
Amen.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #101,737 of 149,137

There is already a Roon update released where you can turn ARC off. Got the update a week ago.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #101,739 of 149,137
There is already a Roon update released where you can turn ARC off. Got the update a week ago.
I'm not seeing that. Would you mind posting a screenshot of where you can turn off ARC?
Does turning off ARC remove the requirement for a persistent internet connection?
FWIW I'm using Roon ROCK and it may be different from MAC/PC versions.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #101,740 of 149,137
Shhhhhhh. Don't Roon it for others, just when the Monday rant cycle is in motion. :ksc75smile:
There will be no Roon rant from me. Not today and probably also not any time soon, either. I've said everything I needed to say. Not much has changed on Roon's part, be it positive or negative, that would warrant a revisit.

The way Roon is developing as a product, it's only a matter of time until someone comes out with a sexier (to me) alternative. And so, as far as I'm concerned, Roon can go to—uhm—live long and prosper. 🖖😎

Guys, I really can't be more concise than this. I'm trying! 😅

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #101,742 of 149,137
I'm not seeing that. Would you mind posting a screenshot of where you can turn off ARC?
Does turning off ARC remove the requirement for a persistent internet connection?
FWIW I'm using Roon ROCK and it may be different from MAC/PC versions.
My installation is Roon 2.0 build 1133, and ARC cannot be disabled.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #101,743 of 149,137
The way Roon is developing as a product, it's only a matter of time until someone comes out with a sexier (to me) alternative. [/ISPOILER]
I'm always looking for the 'next big thing'. I'll be happy to beta test your Roon beating software. Seriously. :)

My installation is Roon 2.0 build 1133, and ARC cannot be disabled.
Same.

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #101,744 of 149,137
IMG_4368.jpeg

Isn’t it funny that there’s this thing curled up next to me on my desk that has its own personality and wishes and fears and humor and moods and dreams and tastes and all that? It’s like an entire universe, but concentrated into a tiny snoring ball of fur.
It's hard to imagine living in a world without cats. They bring so much to the table and except for their freedom, ask very little - except to be fed of course. So glad I am in a position to let mine be indoor/outdoor cats since they get such a richer and more natural life that way.

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #101,745 of 149,137
I'm always looking for the 'next big thing'. I'll be happy to beta test your Roon beating software. Seriously. :)
Have I spent a day or three thinking about and writing down the concept for a music library manager and streaming thingamabob?
Yes.

Do I think that this concept could, if implemented well, be a sexy and worthwhile contender in this particular niche of the market?
Mmmmmhm!

And do I, based on a back-o'-the-envelope calculation, think that this niche, while admittedly relatively small, could have enough room left to warrant putting in the time and effort that a product like this would require?
I do.

Have I started working on an implementation of that concept during what little spare time I actually have available for things like this?
I'll have to take the fifth on this one.

Will this ever evolve into something that's stable and/or mature enough to be run on any hardware other than my own, even as just an alpha version?
Highly(!!!!!!!)* unlikely. Especially because it would take me until about 2068 to get it done at my current pace, and because I'm in no mood to ever, EVER!!! deal with and wade through all the contractual and legal BS I would have to wade through to secure access to Qobuz' and Tidal's APIs.

So, for all intents and purposes, this is nothing but an exercise in curiosity on my part.** If I were you, and unless you expect to still be alive by 2068, I wouldn't wait around for me to deliver that particular "next big thing" that you're looking for.
Sorry! 😅

* No, seriously.
** Because having to work 12 hours a day for 6 to 7 days a week for about 50 weeks a year apparently still isn't enough for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back