Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #100,216 of 149,146
It's actually worse than that. Mars, the planet, was named after the Roman god.
That said, the planet existed first, so it wins. 🤪
I was about to correct that myself lol. Mars also gives us the name for a month, March.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #100,217 of 149,146
So, as far as I can tell, looking in from the outside, Roon being the resource hog that it is could well be in part based in sub-optimal old data design decisions. But for a library of maybe 500 albums, for example, I would be surprised if that made up considerably more than maybe 10MB of "wasted" memory. The rest is, based on personal experience with .net, most likely just, well, .net being .net doing .net things.
I became an expert in a product that eventually ended up using xml files for configuration.
When it did, it took a 100K (maybe, don't recall exactly) config file and ballooned it into a data structure that exhausted all the memory on the server. In those days, a very expensive 8GB of ram. Never did figure out exactly how much more it needed.

Don't underestimate the ability of a bad framework to waste lots and lots of memory.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #100,218 of 149,146
Both my Gungnirs are in headphone systems as well. As the rest of you have been rediscovering physical media, I've been rediscovering my speakers (after years of it being too noisy in the house to not listen with headphones), so I'll say, "It's never too early to power up the PrimaLuna".
I am discovering new speakers, a new amp, new music, and a new transport. My main system is nearly all upgraded including a power regulator. I am using the Gungnir though and eventually with a second amp setup I hope to use my Freya +.

Now I need to work on my Jazz music collection, I have many of the classics but I need to fill in some West Coast Jazz. I have many CD's on the way, then I will get a turntable going for my vinyl once I build a new audio rack. :ksc75smile:

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #100,219 of 149,146
Judging by the content of this thread, I’d have to guess that a disproportionate percentage of hard core headphone enthusiasts are also professional coders, or at least designers of some sort. If so, what do you listen to while coding / designing?

When I lived in a cubicle and needed to focus. I gravitated towards beat heavy pulse driving music. Now that I have privacy I prefer complete silence when working and only listen to music when I’m not working.

Forgot to add- I’m not a coder. My world is design, but physical realm.
I listen to lots of different music while coding. Grateful Dead jams, Bitches Brew type of Jazz, Classical. I find listening to singing/lyrical music breaks my focus, the jams flow as I am in the flow. I do start each day with the Locked On Celtics podcast before settling into coding work

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #100,220 of 149,146
Ok I hope this listing shows. Scroll down the page.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255734306195?nma=true&si=4oKESV%2Bt5D7jAEg0dWGHlo41M7c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I offered the seller of 1400 Jazz CD's several hundred dollars and was turned down. I won the auction at $12.80 with free shipping (tax brought it up to $13 something. Chances are I will never see the CD's but what if I do lol?

The seller has no feedback and chances are he will not ship anything. I am protected by using PayPal so it is not like I will get ripped off for $13 lol. Chances are they will shut down his or her sales if the CD's never ship.

Update, my money was refunded immediately by EBAY lol, I need to have a talk with those folks, maybe this was an obvious scam after all.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #100,221 of 149,146
I’m not a big fan of jazz, but at that price I would have bought them too. 😁. Yeah, they ain’t gonna ship those.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #100,223 of 149,146
I’m not a big fan of jazz, but at that price I would have bought them too. 😁. Yeah, they ain’t gonna ship those.
Already had my money refunded lol, right after I got a notice I won and needed to pay for them. There was no reserve on the auction, I have a feeling this seller will not be selling again if it was a real offer.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #100,224 of 149,146
Ok I hope this listing shows. Scroll down the page.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255734306195?nma=true&si=4oKESV%2Bt5D7jAEg0dWGHlo41M7c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I offered the seller of 1400 Jazz CD's several hundred dollars and was turned down. I won the auction at $12.80 with free shipping (tax brought it up to $13 something. Chances are I will never see the CD's but what if I do lol?

The seller has no feedback and chances are he will not ship anything. I am protected by using PayPal so it is not like I will get ripped off for $13 lol. Chances are they will shut down his or her sales if the CD's never ship.

Update, my money was refunded immediately by EBAY lol, I need to have a talk with those folks, maybe this was an obvious scam after all.

I'm not far from the seller, relatively speaking...! I can show up, and intimidate him with my herculean physique, if you want...? 🤣

image001-71.jpg

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #100,225 of 149,146
I'm not far from the seller, relatively speaking...! I can show up, and intimidate him with my herculean physique, if you want...? 🤣

image001-71.jpg
LOL Ebay actually gave me the guys name. I got a message saying seller canceled because they were out of stock. How do you put 1400 items in a group and not have them? Anyway I turned him into EBAY and asked what action they would be taking lol. When something is too good to be true it usually is. :ksc75smile:

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #100,226 of 149,146
LOL Ebay actually gave me the guys name. I got a message saying seller canceled because they were out of stock. How do you put 1400 items in a group and not have them? Anyway I turned him into EBAY and asked what action they would be taking lol. When something is too good to be true it usually is. :ksc75smile:

An eBay newbie. That looks like it was his 1st auction, as a seller...! It might be his last too. 🤪🤪

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #100,228 of 149,146
An eBay newbie. That looks like it was his 1st auction, as a seller...! It might be his last too. 🤪🤪
It says he was a member since 1999 lol. I did not exactly have my hopes up that he would ship.😜 I was also running out of places to put the classical CD collection I just acquired.🤣

Sep 26, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #100,229 of 149,146
When we cleaned my mother-in-laws house out I found hundreds of CD cases. All of them were EMPTY. She still wouldn't get rid of them, insisted they would come in handy. Maybe she planned to start a CD pirating business.:jecklinsmile:

Sep 26, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #100,230 of 149,146
When we cleaned my mother-in-laws house out I found hundreds of CD cases. All of them were EMPTY. She still wouldn't get rid of them, insisted they would come in handy. Maybe she planned to start a CD pirating business.:jecklinsmile:
So there weren't binders full of CD sleeves to be found? I've got a shelf full of them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back