Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 20, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #96,527 of 149,092
Love the blue corvette @Jason Stoddard :heart_eyes:
Here is my blue car:
1658276937708.png

Reminds of Volvo’s old Polestars:
90DC3922-9CFB-431A-8580-E697724E76F9.jpeg

Would love to own one, but it really doesn’t make sense for me to buy other than EVs in the future. Maybe a C40 Recharge when they start showing up on the used market.. :thinking:

F3B16F58-2320-4A55-9008-F83C499987EF.jpeg

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #96,529 of 149,092
I'm seriously torn on the "some stuff will remain black-only" thing. I obviously completely understand the reasoning behind it, and I'd be the last person to actually, seriously complain.

But…

I wish I could honestly say that I would still buy a product if it only ever came in black. I am, truth be told, still holding out on the purchase of two Loki Max, however, because it only comes in black. Until that changes, and I'm tempted to say that it never will, my two silver Lokius will suffice.

The looks of an (audio) product is nearly as important to me as its (sonic) performance. They are somewhat central pieces of my office and living room furnishings, after all. All of my furniture is dark brown or black, so I really enjoy how the silver-gray stands out against it. It just looks nice and timeless. In contrast—pun intended—black just disappears. The only thing worse than all-black gear, to me, would be a black and silver mix.
(Black gear also lacks personality. And purely practically speaking, compared to silver, it's a regular finger print and dust magnet. But all that is subjective and not part of what I'm trying to convey with this post.)

Yes, I know how entitled and shallow this makes me sound. That's why I feel like I should press again that I would never (!!!) actually, seriously complain about the fact that some gear will ever only be available in black. I fully accept this as a necessity resulting from the current state of things. Especially because we all know that Jason prefers silver himself.

The good thing (seriously, NO! irony or sarcasm intended) is that most people won't really care, they'll just buy whichever finish they can get and will be fully and entirely happy with how fantastic this gear performs.

But most people aren't autistic, and I know from personal experience just how freaking difficult it can be for a small-ish subset of the population to deal with something like this. A neurotypical person will just look at their "mixed" rack, shrug it off, and never think about it again. A person with autism (or OCD, for that matter), however, will be bothered by the way it looks for the entire time of ownership. If you can't relate to this, if you think that I'm exaggerating, that this would be utterly ridiculous, or that I'd be a little first-world princess who really needs to grow up, then all the better for you. I won't even attempt to argue against that, and I think that you should consider yourself very, very lucky that you don't have to deal with something as "dumb" as this.
But for some people, this is an actual and very real problem.

Obviously, autism or OCD doesn’t entitle anyone to a silver piece of Schiit. But it does explain why some feel so strongly about it. Myself included. That’s all I’m trying to say with this. 🙂

All right, that's it from me on the topic for the foreseeable future. Just wanted to throw in my two cents and offer a somewhat different perspective on the whole "sitch". 😇

I swear, that whole black/silver debate will be the reason Jason stops talking to us one day.😬
Even I am quite annoyed by it at this point, and I'm squarely on the pro silver side! 🤣
They say that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’ but I’m with you on silver Schiit @ArmchairPhilosopher :beyersmile:

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #96,532 of 149,092
Long-time lurker turned member that has been lurking on this journey since the Jotunheim was announced, oh I don't know maybe 2k+ pages ago?! Started my Schiit journey with a Modi Multibit and a Jotunheim, and have since collected a LYR, Valhalla, Bifrost 2, and Freya+. All the Folkvangr shots inspired me to share a classic shot of my Valhalla to introduce myself.

8I0_6592-2.jpg
As a long time lurker myself, welcome! Lovely photo.

Reminds of Volvo’s old Polestars:

Would love to own one, but it really doesn’t make sense for me to buy other than EVs in the future. Maybe a C40 Recharge when they start showing up on the used market.. :thinking:

Ah yes, Swedish Racing Green.

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #96,534 of 149,092
They say that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’ but I’m with you on silver Schiit @ArmchairPhilosopher :beyersmile:
I mix brands too much to think about silver or black. Maybe when I get my second large rack built I can sort by colors. 🤪 My two cents, I prefer the look of tubes against a black background if given a choice. I like the looks of either Folkvangr by the way.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #96,535 of 149,092
Jul 20, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #96,536 of 149,092
My two cents, I prefer the look of tubes against a black background if given a choice.
For that reason and to make a deliberate decision to combat my audiophilic OCD, I ordered my Folkvangr in black to fit into my otherwise silver rack. Most of the time I'll be listening in the evening with the lights down low and anything to maximize that tube glow makes sense to me.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #96,537 of 149,092
1658358575854.png
"Have it your way,
1658358596444.png
have it your way"
1658358608587.png
Any color you like as long as its:
1658323505651.png

1658323417800.png

Attachments

• 1658358557655.png
    1658358557655.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #96,538 of 149,092
For that reason and to make a deliberate decision to combat my audiophilic OCD, I ordered my Folkvangr in black to fit into my otherwise silver rack. Most of the time I'll be listening in the evening with the lights down low and anything to maximize that tube glow makes sense to me.
Now if given the choice I would probably match within brands but some of my new gear will most likely be silver and black. As long as there are tubes involved and I am achieving the SQ I want those are my bigger concerns.

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #96,539 of 149,092
@Jason Stoddard - would you be willing to talk a bit about your approach to deciding to make or not make smaller (i.e. not affecting the sound) product changes to keep the line consistent? For example adding autonomy to Gungnir and Yggy, changing the cases for Gungnir, Yggy, and Valhalla to match the new design (although Valhalla maybe had to do with heat dissipation if I remember correctly?), implementing the fastener-less design on Jot 2 on Bifrost 2, etc.?

From an ignorant outsider perspective it seems like some of these changes would make production a bit more streamlined, but I also recognize that any changes probably introduce headaches and it comes down to balancing out the pros and cons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back